LegacyGT.com

MR Coilover Clunk Any suggestions

Scooby2.5

Well I have been running my MR coilovers for quite a while, since around sept 2007. I have about 20,000 miles on them

All of a sudden I now have a clunk coming from both sides in the front when I go over any kind of dip in the road. Also when going over speed bumps at slow speed.

When driving really slow in a parking lot it seems to just ever so slightly go bump bump bump as you move. Like the coil is loose somehow and moving up and down

when going over dips in the road it really clunks almost like hitting the bump stops.

I took the wheels off and cannot see anything loose. I havent checked the nuts holding the top hats on yet though.

Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I have been running my MR coilovers for quite a while, since around sept 2007. I have about 20,000 miles on them

All of a sudden I now have a clunk coming from both sides in the front when I go over any kind of dip in the road. Also when going over speed bumps at slow speed.

When driving really slow in a parking lot it seems to just ever so slightly go bump bump bump as you move. Like the coil is loose somehow and moving up and down

when going over dips in the road it really clunks almost like hitting the bump stops.

I took the wheels off and cannot see anything loose. I havent checked the nuts holding the top hats on yet though.

Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this?

I know you took the wheels off and checked for loose items, but did you throw the wrenches on the lockring and spring perch to make sure they are locked together? I only mention this and mine loosened up pretty good in the span of a couple weeks.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on your findings.

mine do not have pillow balls as they are the outback coils with the factory top hats

I did check the lock rings with the wrenches and they did not seem loose.

I am going to check them again though.

Would it be easier to check them all out with it on jack stands with the suspension drooping?

Greg, have you checked the endlinks lately?

My h-techs have been driving me nuts too. I have an annoying random, rapid fire squeak over small bumps and while cruising that I can't find. I've had the front end apart half a dozen times now and nothing changes. Grrrrrr.

Let's kick this pig!

mine do not have pillow balls as they are the outback coils with the factory top hats

I did check the lock rings with the wrenches and they did not seem loose.

I am going to check them again though.

Would it be easier to check them all out with it on jack stands with the suspension drooping?

I'm not sure how you were able to check them with the wheels still on the car. I can barely see mine behind the wheels.:confused: I would try unweighting each corner (or an end at a time) take the wheels off, and check that you have some preload on the springs. It's possible they worked their way down (it only takes a few millimeters to go from loaded to a noisy, jangly, mess). I'm only running 3mm of preload on my fronts and they loosened up a couple of millimeters after a couple weeks.

Keep us posted.

I'm no coilover expert but I've read about the springs contacting the shock rod or body, which is why many coilovers come with barrel shaped springs (ie, the diameter of the coils in the middle of the spring are wider than at the base or top of the spring). Just an idea.

I've got the OB coils and recently had some clunking/rattling noise coming from the front end when going over bumps. It wasn't the coilovers, just turned out to be the spherical endlinks finally wearing out. I just replaced them and no more noise. I'm not sure what kind of endlinks you have greg but like qikslvr said you may want to take a look at the endlinks.
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

yah im still running stock endlinks... just haven't gotten around to ordering some whitelines!

but, I kinda think it might be the old-style ipd fsb hitting my subframe! only problem is that its much more common on the passenger side!

yah im still running stock endlinks... just haven't gotten around to ordering some whitelines!

but, I kinda think it might be the old-style ipd fsb hitting my subframe! only problem is that its much more common on the passenger side!

I have the kartboy endlinks. I would recommend those.

I figured the adjustable length of the whitelines would b a better pairing for the ob coilovers to put less stress at that point versus a fixed length design such as the kartboys... I could b wrong though!

Sorry about the hijack but 2sexz I would recommend you not get the spherical endlinks. I had Whiteline’s and I wore them out in about 20K miles. I'd recommend going with AVO's if you want ball-socket style or any of the numerous endlinks with polyurethane bushes as they'll end up lasting longer and being less of a maintenance hog.

Back on topic: When you pull the wheels off next time make sure to look for any signs of repetitive impact (e.g. wearing of paint, denting). It may not be overtly apparent or may only show on the underside of whatever is causing the clunk noise but might just tell you what is coming together.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

I figured the adjustable length of the whitelines would b a better pairing for the ob coilovers to put less stress at that point versus a fixed length design such as the kartboys... I could b wrong though!

oh. didn't think about obxt application. but scoobysti07 is right. the whiteline are only slightly better than the chintzy stockers. i have cobb sways and my stock endlinks were junkified quick! liking the kartboy but you gotta keep tightening them. loathe to use thread locker but i might have to.

i would suspect the end links or like a few have mentioned check the top hat bolts, ive had this happen to me b4, herd the clunk on bumps immediately thought of the obvious end link, changed that then still had it, finally checked the nuts on the top hats and they were loose. go for the easy fix, check the top hats first.

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

Greg, have you checked the endlinks lately?

My h-techs have been driving me nuts too. I have an annoying random, rapid fire squeak over small bumps and while cruising that I can't find. I've had the front end apart half a dozen times now and nothing changes. Grrrrrr.

coilovers right? if not did you grease the lower spring perch? sometimes when the spring sits on the lower rubber perch insert it can sometimes squeak.

03 BH

What is the torque spec for the top hat nut? Ill check that first.

Also what should I look for with the endlinks? Mine are still stock and I think they are rubber covered.

What is weird is when I am going slow in a parking lot with some imperfections you here this sligh bump bump bump like something is loose just ever so slightly bumping up and down even when the suspension is not moving much.

When going medium speed over a dip it clunks like the suspension is bottoming out its sort of a clunk/thud sound.

^^^ not too sure on the specs but tight enuff lol, as for the end links its easyer to check when its on a hoist or ramps, just grab the link by the bottom link and try to move it up or down, if its good it wont move, if its shot you will feel it move.

Thats how i do it, anyone with other suggestions?

03 BH

• 3 weeks later...

gregnauman, I have an '06 2.5i sedan and am experiencing the exact same problem.

MR coilovers, Cusco F & R sways, stock endlinks.

Lots of clunking and thudding at low speeds during turns or over uneven surfaces. When hitting some mild dips, bumps, and pot holes at speed it feels like the car is bottoming out or hitting bump stops.

gregnauman, I have an '06 2.5i sedan and am experiencing the exact same problem.

Lots of clunking and thudding at low speeds during turns or over uneven surfaces. When hitting some mild dips, bumps, and pot holes at speed it feels like the car is bottoming out or hitting bump stops.

Bit off topic, but I didn't know Cusco F sway fit on 2.5i. :confused: Is it maybe just 0.5 2.5i that is incompatible with GT front sways?

What is the torque spec for the top hat nut? Ill check that first.

Also what should I look for with the endlinks? Mine are still stock and I think they are rubber covered.

What is weird is when I am going slow in a parking lot with some imperfections you here this sligh bump bump bump like something is loose just ever so slightly bumping up and down even when the suspension is not moving much.

When going medium speed over a dip it clunks like the suspension is bottoming out its sort of a clunk/thud sound.

I know it's been a while since this post but... IIRC The OE top hat nut torque should be 26-28ftlbs. To check the endlinks, just unbolt the bottom(control arm end) from the bracket and leave the end links attached to the SB. Try to wiggle the bottom stud. It should glide around smoothly, but not too freely. Push up and down on the endlink to check the top end. If one end is bad, it will likely flop around freely with no resistance at all.

Let's kick this pig!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I checked the top hat nuts and they are both at 30lbs so that is not the problem.

This is really weird. I was in a parking lot with some hefty speed bumps today. I would go over them at super slow speeds, just barely moving.

The car would come up as I went over and on the way down on the opposite side of the speed bump, I would hear the bump sound. I swear it sounds like they are bottoming out. Yet when the car is sitting still I cant even push down on the fender and push the suspension down on the coilovers.

I have a road that has a slight dip in it. If I hit that dip at 35 miles per hour I hear the bump noise.

Im going to take it to my neighbors suspension and frame works shop in the next few days to put it on a lift and see if we can see anything.

Archived