LegacyGT.com

new legacy

kovans

hey guys so ive been looking around on craigslist and found some pretty good legacies. but they are not the gt's they are the base 2.5i. so my question is should i go ahead and get a dodge charger which i am being offered or get the legacy and do some tuning? is it easily tunable? any help is appreciated

The 2.5i isn't exactly meant for tuning but I heard there is a turbo kit that is coming along for the 2.5i. If you want to have a truly tuning vehicle you should be looking for the GT or Spec.B.

Many members on the forum are selling their legacy, maybe you can drop them a message. :D

the only problem is im on a budget and i wont be able to find a low priced gt with very low miles for close to 10k. but i mean if i can at least get 250hp from the 2.5i ill be happy is that attainable?

Nope, that wont be attainable - At least not right now. I am not sure how much horsepower will the new turbo kit be putting out.

I am not trying to influence you but if you are a horsepower person, the dodge charger will be perfect for you. However, I prefer the legacy more than a muscle car. It has more refinements in handling and it looks cooler in my opinion. Plus Subaru is known for its reliability, even with a high mileage Subaru, it might last for a long time if it was properly taken care of. Anyway this is just my opinion. Good luck on your search!

Even with a turbo, you'd be looking a significant investment (>$5k) to get to 250hp with a 2.5i (assuming crank hp, not whp).

You'd need the turbo kit that is currently in development, plus a slew of other upgrades.

well the parts are gonna be mainly replicas dont get me wrong i love brand name products but im just low on cash and my dad is buying me this car if he knew that the gt had a stock turbo he would flip the biggest shi*

Depends on WHICH charger. Unless it's the ultra-rare (in the US) 2.7L, the V6 has 250 hp. No way are you going to get close to that with a 2.5i for less than $10K unless you go with nitrous.. And even then, the stock drivetrain won't hold 250 hp for very long, I'm pretty sure..

The stock 2.5i is NOT very tunable at all. Currently, even with everything out there, you might get 20 more hp. The "rumored" turbo kit is just that - it's NOT ready yet, no one has seen it for sale, etc. It MAY come out next month, but it also may NEVER come out.

If you want power, the 2.5i is NOT the way to go at all.

Someone here picked up an '05 GT for $10K last month (in CA), after waiting on the seller awhile. It IS doable, just doesn't happen all that often..

If a legacy is too tight for your budget, I guess you should go for a Impreza. I believe a base Impreza is more tunable compared to a base legacy 2.5i, it is also relatively cheaper as well.

How old is this person? If he is a teenager, we may want to watch what we recommend. The 2.5i would be perfect for a new driver, cause they have to learn how to drive first before messing with a turbo car. If I had had the turbo at 16, I'd be dead. Mom's 1992 subaru legacy did things she never thought about! Not to be a wet blanket, just a cautionary thought. Sorry if I'm out of line.

How old is this person? If he is a teenager, we may want to watch what we recommend. The 2.5i would be perfect for a new driver, cause they have to learn how to drive first before messing with a turbo car. If I had had the turbo at 16, I'd be dead. Mom's 1992 subaru legacy did things she never thought about! Not to be a wet blanket, just a cautionary thought. Sorry if I'm out of line.

I totally understand what you mean. Plus the fact that today's "base" cars have 170+ hp (even for a base Camry, for example) compared to 20 years ago when I was a new driver... Back then >125 hp was "quick", 200 hp was "FAAAST".

Archived