LegacyGT.com

Legacy 2.5GT Center Differential Bearing Swap

TeriyakiBBS

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Harbor Freights in or near Boulder?

Glad you forced me to look up closest store as I didn't realize they are just about everywhere. There is a HF 15 miles away. Headed there in a couple hours. I might even convince myself to get their 12 ton press and just finish all of this today.

Glad you forced me to look up closest store as I didn't realize they are just about everywhere. There is a HF 15 miles away. Headed there in a couple hours. I might even convince myself to get their 12 ton press and just finish all of this today.

I've read the 12 ton press is too weak. Someone on another forum posted pics of the center girder bending. Get the 20 ton.

Ok, I literally have one thing keeping me from getting the center diff off - the roll pin in shifter linkage.

I had exactly the same problem trying to get the tail cover off an Impreza at the breakers yard, going back with a bag of old drill bits and a hammer - hopefully no-one else beat me too it.

Simon

Success!!!! The 28 piece punch set fro HF for $9.50 worked like a charm. The diff is out of the car. On first inspection, I don't see anything wrong with the bearings, but, from what I have read, that isn't that unusual. Still haven't examined the one behind the section with the 4 allen bolts.

About 4 hours spent to get to this point.

I do have some questions:

1) I never removed the adjusting washer in the diff case. If I am not replacing it, is there any reason for me to remove it?

2) What should I use to clean out transmission fluid from the case, cover, gears, etc.?

Edit: Answerd my own questions. Almost done reassembling everything.

I've read the 12 ton press is too weak. Someone on another forum posted pics of the center girder bending. Get the 20 ton.

I am just taking it to transmission shop. Can't imagine they'll charge me more than an hour of labor and I decided my packed garage can't store a big tool that I will most likely use once every five years.

Edited by channoff

I had exactly the same problem trying to get the tail cover off an Impreza at the breakers yard, going back with a bag of old drill bits and a hammer - hopefully no-one else beat me too it.

Simon

The tail cover will come off with a chisel and a hammer. Do don't even need to whack it too hard, just soft taps around the bottom side of it should split it fairly easily. I wouldn't recommend drill bits. You really need something with straight taper edge.

The tail cover will come off with a chisel and a hammer. Do don't even need to whack it too hard, just soft taps around the bottom side of it should split it fairly easily. I wouldn't recommend drill bits. You really need something with straight taper edge.

LOL, the drill bits are for getting that roll pin out ;-)

Just found a write up at another site:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39306

Note: difference between phase 1 and phase 2 VC/Differential

Success!!!! No more raucious roaring from center diff.

I do, however, have another issue. I get a horrible deep vibration or exhaust sound when engine braking that certainly wasn't there before I started this project. Sounds like it is coming from under front seat floor board. I am fairly certain it isn't in transmission. Maybe I forgot to tighten something to correct specs and the decel/engine braking is causing something to vibrate violently??? Time for a new thread!

• 4 weeks later...

Think I'm going to be giving this a shot myself soon. My trans is showing some gear oil weeping from the rear trans cover now too..

Question, how much is reasonable $$ for a shop to do the pressing of the bearings for me?

• 3 weeks later...
@ TBBS - Okay with you if I roll this into a .pdf? Planning on doing this and wanted to have it in my binder with the appropriate FSM sheets when I do the replacement. It'll (.pdf) be too large to host here, but I can load it on ScoobyMods, with full attribution to you and link it here.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

@ TBBS - Okay with you if I roll this into a .pdf? Planning on doing this and wanted to have it in my binder with the appropriate FSM sheets when I do the replacement. It'll (.pdf) be too large to host here, but I can load it on ScoobyMods, with full attribution to you and link it here.

Yes of course, anything to help out the community. Can it be a sticky or does it have to reach a certain post count?

How hard is it to change out the shifter shaft bushing/seal while you have out the tail-shaft case? Mine may be leaking, so might as well while it's out and apart.

How hard is it to change out the shifter shaft bushing/seal while you have out the tail-shaft case? Mine may be leaking, so might as well while it's out and apart.

It will be easier, I would not recommend doing if the tail shaft is on because so much crap is in the way

The .pdf is located here

Came out pretty nicely, but let me know if I missed anything. Spent some time going through the FSM. There's a bit more that could be added about measuring the thrust washer "space" under the outer bearing race on the Drive Gear, and including the P/N specs for all of those, but perhaps another time.

Also, thread is now "stickied" in the Transmission Sub-forum.

@TBBS - if you want to edit in the link in your OP, please do, or LMK and I can do it for you. g

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Great writeup! Helped me with a few things along the way as I did these bearings this weekend.

For as loud as my tranny whine was getting and had started about 20k ago, surprisingly the bearings were not in as terrible condition as I thought they would be. Noisy, but none were falling apart yet, no heat or scoring yet.

For me, the front driven gear roll bearing was the main noise culprit, and then the drive gear ball bearing was on its way out too. I maybe should have done all the bearings, but money was an issue on this one, and the other 2 were good and tight still.