LegacyGT.com

Clunky Passenger Door w. Vid

Hi all, I did a bit of searching to no avail.

My passenger door sounds really hollow. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with it or if its common. I'm thinking about taking the door panel off if it's a common thing otherwise I'll see if they'd cover it under Warranty but something tells me that won't be worth it.

Anyone else having this issue?

Something is amiss there - my front and rear doors sound about the same as your rear did - pretty solid. Not sure what it could be - have you pulled the interior panel to see if anything is loose? Also - is the weather stripping, etc. in good shape on that door? (specifically, there are two bumpers on the edge of the door - one on the lower corner, and one about half-way up - if one of those is missing, the door might ring like that...)

SAME sound in my 2010. I haven't wanted to take the door card off just to "explore" since technically nothing is really broken.

And yes, it seems to be ONLY the front passenger side door, that "hollow metal panel" sound when closing it.

I seem to rememver trolling through the threads and seeing that someone else referred to the same thing like many of us have the same issue. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in?

Mine did this - These doors are the first framed door that Subaru has done on the Legacy - From what I was told the doors ar a 1 piece door, meaning that you cannot order a door skin.

What is causing the vibration "PONG" type sound when you close the door is the skin is glued onto the frame in certain section to reduce vibration.

Your glue has broken loose.

They took my door apart and reapllied glue and "addtional sound deadening" and the PONG is gone.

I took it to the dealer to check it out since it's under warranty. They said they're going to have to take it in again and bring it to the body shop to fix. The guy did a bad job of explaining but he said something along the lines of...The bond between the door and the door frame has come loose.

I'm bringing it in in a couple weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to explain it better and get a feel for what it would cost out of warranty.

• 1 month later...
Hi all, I did a bit of searching to no avail.

My passenger door sounds really hollow. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with it or if its common. I'm thinking about taking the door panel off if it's a common thing otherwise I'll see if they'd cover it under Warranty but something tells me that won't be worth it.

Anyone else having this issue?

I have the same issue with my driver's door.

Did you get it fixed?

If yes, what they have done?

Thank you.

I ended up bringing it back to the dealership under Warranty.

The guy at the dealership said that it was probably somebody sleeping in line at the assembly plant forgot to glue the door. He said there was a strip of glue between the door and something else that was missing.

Good luck.

I ended up bringing it back to the dealership under Warranty.

The guy at the dealership said that it was probably somebody sleeping in line at the assembly plant forgot to glue the door. He said there was a strip of glue between the door and something else that was missing.

Good luck.

Thank you.

I still have planty of warranty left. So I will ask them to look into this at next oil change.

Was it a quick fix or you had to leave the car at service for a day or so?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I guess I missed this thread back in 2013, but my passenger front door has the same hollow PONG sound when I close it. It always did, from day one. I figured it was normal. Too late now that I am long out of warranty.

I fly solo 99% of the time so it's not a big deal I suppose.

Archived