LegacyGT.com

Oil leaking down to up pipe

So I just installed my dp and cbe. Drove it for 10 min conservatively and noticed a smell also the up pipe was glowing. I then swapped out the up pipe to a catless. Now the area around the turbo is smoking and there is an oil leak. I Am assuming that the turbo seals toast and it's leakingdown the up pipe. I smell burning oil as well as see some drips into that area. I have read that smoke out of the exhaust is an indication of blown seals. But I see none and the cars boosting properly.

Has anyone encountered similar issues? Also is it possible for the turbo toleak oil down the up pipe if blown.

Thanks

Sounds like you broke one of the half moon plastic covers on the valve cover above the manifold. Apparently its a common DIY mistake. Try a search or I'm sure someone else can provide more details. I'm hoping I didn't do this myself with my uppipe install. So far it looks ok on mine. But I have not driven the car yet.

Sounds like you broke one of the half moon plastic covers on the valve cover above the manifold. Apparently its a common DIY mistake. Try a search or I'm sure someone else can provide more details. I'm hoping I didn't do this myself with my uppipe install. So far it looks ok on mine. But I have not driven the car yet.

This. :)

It is indeed very common to punch out a half moon seal when replacing the up pipe!

These are the gaskets your local dealership should have in stock..

http://shop.bostonmotorsports.com/Subaru-Half-Moon-Valve-Cover-Gasket_p_1143.html

While you have your valve cover off we recommend replacing the spark plug gaskets along with valve cover gasket

http://shop.bostonmotorsports.com/Subaru-Spark-Plug-Valve-Cover-Gasket_p_1144.html

Valve cover gasket part numbers are 13272AA140 & 13270AA190(if you want to do both sides)

Valvecoversilicone.jpg

Valvecoversilicone1.jpg

Don't forget Fujibond!

Archived