LegacyGT.com

Hopefully buying this in a few hours

snadsnad

On the road now to take a look at this and the starting price of $20k for an '05 LGT-Limited w/ 41k miles seems high:

http://tinyurl.com/2xnz8u

Any idea what a reasonable starting point would be? Would trying to get them to knock off $2k be too much? It looks like $18k would be reasonable for a car like this. I have a printout of 14 LGT Limiteds that are 500 mi away from my zip code and for the most part it seems to support me except for maybe 3 that are similarly priced to what I'm looking at so the guy might try to use those as a counter-argument.

Any other good used car negotiating tips? The car has only been on the lot for a week I think and I could raise the point that the faster he moves this the faster he can get another car on the lot to profit from.

Thanks for any advice.

The thing to look for on the car are options - if the car in question has things like spoiler, factory sub woofer, short throw shifter, etc. that can legitimately cause the increase in price. Also, check the exterior for ANY scratches or dings, and make the salesman know you see them - same goes for the interior, like scuffs on the leather. I've helped two of my roommates get *new* used cars in the last 6 months, and both places accepted an offer of 5% less than what they listed it for - if the car dealership has it listed for 20k, I'm sure they would take 19k, not sure about 18k, but make him an offer! The worst thing that can happen is that he can say no...then you can offer him 18.5 or 19 - you should be able to get him going for 19k, though.

Also, from what I've seen MTs are commanding a 1-2k premium over the autos. For comparison, I got my 05 LGT Limited, with 18k miles for 19.8k Mine was automatic however.

Don't be scared to pay a little more if you feel the car is worth it. In the end, you're the one writing a check every month.

20k is way too high.

Offer him $17k or walk away.

That has always been my approach.

Go in with the mindset that you are only going to spend one amount. If you don't hear the answer you're looking for then walk away.

I paid $18k for an 05GT LTD 5/spd, with 30k. The problem with a dealer is if you dont buy it someone else tomorow, who doesnt know the actual value, may be willing to pay more. I wouldnt give a penny over $18k. Keep looking there are plenty out there. I got mine from a private seller, dealers averaged $2-3k over the private party.

^^ Retail on my 05 wagon........ $25,340.00 :eek::eek:

YEHAWWWW

Would'nt sell it fer less than $25,000.00 :lol::lol:

You also have the benefit for living of living in Washington state.

According to KBB my '05 Sedan is still worth the price I purchased it for nearly 1.5 years ago :lol:

Archived