LegacyGT.com

Warranty or no warranty?

hkuhn

Looking to buy an '08 Spec B with 77k on it. Suspension mods, Cobb exhaust.

Found one at a dealer. Considering getting a 3yr/50k b2b warranty for $1500. Is this worth it? What should I expect, worse case, to replace within 80k-120k? Thanks.

Looks like a decent pick-up..

Couple things to consider with regard to a warranty. Do you have previous maintenance history on the car? Will you yourself be modding it? Will you personally be doing the regular servicing- oil changes, gear oil, little stuff, or can you do these things? Is your local Subaru dealership mod friendly? Do you have Subaru specific shops/tuners in your area?

If its been taken care of and had regular servicing, if it wasn't modded past stg2 and if you'll take great care of it, then my opinion is no warranty needed. Plus its already been modded to some point so you have to wonder if it would be denied a claim should something come up.

Worst case, turbo goes and takes motor with it. That's unlikely to happen if the oil was changed and topped off when needed though.

Got confirmation that all aftermarket parts where installed by a subaru dealership. But no info on whether this thing was chipped or not. Had a friend from the area drive and said it was smooth and sound. He also confirmed it was as clean as it appears in pics. wondering if I jump on it, or if i wait for a couple weeks until im in the area to test drive myself.

Not planning on modifying it anymore than it is. Warranty would be solely to cover exactly what you said: turbo blows and I'm out $3gs.

Archived