LegacyGT.com

Removing Plastic Overlay Trunk Lid

trailcrushinbkr

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experience removing the plastic overlay on the trunk lid(2005 LEG GT). Im talking about the bottom half of the trunk lid.

Some low life do***ebag thought it would be nice to carve a swastica on mine...So im going to bring it in for a repaint...Also Im probably going to do my rear bumper while im at it since I bought the car with a good size scratch on it too.

Any directions on to how to remove these body parts/pictures would be appreciated.

Pics to follow if I get a chaince

Thanks Guys,

Marc

Taken from "vacation pics"

34.Trunk Lid Garnish

A: REMOVAL

1) Remove the license plate, and loosen bolts (A).

2) Remove the clip in the upper corner of the trunk

lid garnish.

3) Place your hands between the trunk lid garnish

and the trunk lid panel, and remove the trunk lid

garnish starting from the edge, in order.

B: INSTALLATION

Install in the reverse order of removal.

Tightening torque:

7.5 N·m (0.76 kgf-m, 5.5 ft-lb)

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

what exactly do u mean by "the plastic overlay"?

In this pic from JapanParts.com, are you talking about the red or the blue?

http://japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=7917

Part #107-009-008

i'm just not sure what part your referring to... :confused:

I was debating painting one of those pieces on my car black... if it's removable I'll find one at a junkyard and grab an extra from there so I can keep my original in case it looks off.

^^ that was my plan... I saw A.Lim do it and thought it looks hawt!

I didnt realize that piece is just a skin though... now I don't have to mess with my QSM paint, I can find another skin, paint it, and do a swap. Man now to source a trunk lid skin...

I think the OP was just trying to fix his cuz some A-hole vandalized it.

exactly what I thought about doing.. buy another, paint it flat black.. swap em.. that way I can go back to stock if I dont like it.

but.. priorities priorities. :(

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

sorry bud i was away for the weekend. and yea i mean the blue part. its just a piece that pops into the trunk lid with plastic cone shaped clips. very easy to remove actually, no tools required other than taking off your plate and the two bolts/screws behind the plate. i had thoughts about painting it flat black but i have decided on keeping it the way it is. i may check out a junkyard to get another skin to paint it flat black, that way i have an easy interchangeable part. id like to do the same with my fog lamp bezels, i have a carbon fiber sticker overlay for now

• 2 weeks later...
sorry bud i was away for the weekend. and yea i mean the blue part. its just a piece that pops into the trunk lid with plastic cone shaped clips. very easy to remove actually, no tools required other than taking off your plate and the two bolts/screws behind the plate. i had thoughts about painting it flat black but i have decided on keeping it the way it is. i may check out a junkyard to get another skin to paint it flat black, that way i have an easy interchangeable part. id like to do the same with my fog lamp bezels, i have a carbon fiber sticker overlay for now

Regarding those plastic cone shaped clips...do you just pull on them? I was looking at them and they seem to be quite expanded.

Do I need to squeeze them with pliers (I was scared of breaking them) and pull at the same time?

Is there double-sided tape on the lower corners / edge of the overlay? It seems to be sitting tight against the trunk.

Thanks in advance.

Regarding those plastic cone shaped clips...do you just pull on them? I was looking at them and they seem to be quite expanded.

Do I need to squeeze them with pliers (I was scared of breaking them) and pull at the same time?

Is there double-sided tape on the lower corners / edge of the overlay? It seems to be sitting tight against the trunk.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah they arent too bad, becarefull when you pull it off. Use pliers to squezze the ones that you can reach, for the ones you cant just slowly pop them off, theres a possibility you break them but i didnt with mine. If you do they're dirt cheap at any auto store. There is no double sided tape, its just weather stripping.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Archived