LegacyGT.com

Gas Milage... I searched.

I only really saw a dedicated thread for the XT...

I have BASE model 2.5 i legacy wagon...

I had problems with the O2 which I noticed both due to rough running and what I though was terrible gas milage... 20-23mpg...

Then the dealer replaced the O2...

NOW... I haven't gotten over 21.

Now I'm the first to admit I drive too fast... but this is a base model...

I couldn't make my last car get under 26 even when I was basically constantly flooring it all over the place. Granted it was a 1.6l civic... but still...

Under normal driving conditions and especially considering most of my driving is done on the highway... Shouldn't I be getting minimum 24-26mpg??? Even OFF highway?

Post your averages... Base model or GT... I'd be willing to bet I'm getting worse milage than a LOT of GT owners...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My MPG gauge on my LGT says over 1200 miles I'm averaging about 24, and my receipts say about 23mpg. That's with pretty mixed driving, city and highway. But, I'm a granny shifter; I use 5th as much as a possible, shift before 3.5k, etc...etc.

Xenonk's GT 5SPD (15,345 on the odometer):

Average MPG for one tank of gas for a road trip (4 hour drive) = 29.5

Average MPG for the past 6,000 miles (per two oil changes) = 22.1

Average MPG for the past 350 miles (one fill-up for daily commute to work) = 19.8

Average MPG for an autocross event (3.5 miles, 4 runs) = 2.0

Average MPG for spirited driving for one day (200 miles) = 12.7

Average MPG for one day at the track (Summit Point Raceway @ 110 miles) = 5.5 to 7.0

With all the electronics in today's cars and given the fact that if your car is using the drive-by-wire (electronic throttle control) system, a little bit on the throttle will go a long way of how much fuel is going to be dumped into the engine (and I really mean a huge difference in just wiggling your toes). You can't have a heavy foot anymore. Just breathing on the throttle pedal is a huge difference in how much gas is being dumped in regardless of what RPMs you are in (if someone needs a crash course in the difference in engine LOADS vs RPMs, PM me).

Keefe

Keefe

Hmmm...this is news to me. Perhaps you could start a new thread and elaborate on the difference for everyone. That'd be awesome. :)

With all the electronics in today's cars and given the fact that if your car is using the drive-by-wire (electronic throttle control) system, a little bit on the throttle will go a long way of how much fuel is going to be dumped into the engine (and I really mean a huge difference in just wiggling your toes). You can't have a heavy foot anymore. Just breathing on the throttle pedal is a huge difference in how much gas is being dumped in regardless of what RPMs you are in (if someone needs a crash course in the difference in engine LOADS vs RPMs, PM me).

Keefe

I love watching the instant mileage when driving downhill. Look Ma! I'm getting 99.9mpg! I wonder if they work that into the estimate...

I hope you all aren't going by the digital display because that is an estimate. Divide the number of miles on your tank by the number of gallons at fill up.

350 miles/15 gallons at fill up = 23.3 mpg.

Hmmm...this is news to me. Perhaps you could start a new thread and elaborate on the difference for everyone. That'd be awesome. :)

Yes ... I agree that this would make a good thread topic, also.

Such widely varying reported MPG figures could use some explanation.

TIA

seems like I will be posting some info for those who are interested in Engine Loads vs. RPMs vs. Mileage.. I'll post it up sometime later tonight for you guys to read up on so maybe some of you guys will stop lead-footing the car and save a few dollars on fuel. I'll try to throw in some tips of how to maintain your car for performance levels vs. conservative levels so you all can decide how to maintain your car correctly.

Keefe

Keefe

I get about 18-20mpg with my 20 mile commute (some stop-and go). That's real-world mileage, not the trip meter. I think I got 24 on the only road trip I have been on. I just hit 5K on the car today (in 9 weeks!!)

How are people getting 20mpg City in a turbo legacy, when I can only manage around 16 City? (not judging off the trip computer...my own calculations).

I have a wagon, which is heavier than the sedan, and I have the 5EAT, but I am wondering if at 3300 miles, something is wrong... I dont' have a lead foot, but I am in stop-&-go driving every day. I use the sport mode about 1/3 of the time.

Are there any other 5eat Legacy GT Limited Wagon drivers that can give their MPG, so I can compare apples-to-apples?

How are people getting 20mpg City in a turbo legacy, when I can only manage around 16 City? (not judging off the trip computer...my own calculations).

I have a wagon, which is heavier than the sedan, and I have the 5EAT, but I am wondering if at 3300 miles, something is wrong... I dont' have a lead foot, but I am in stop-&-go driving every day. I use the sport mode about 1/3 of the time.

Are there any other 5eat Legacy GT Limited Wagon drivers that can give their MPG, so I can compare apples-to-apples?

During acceleration, the car does take in a lot of fuel. It might be even worse for a 5EAT since it can stay in the gears longer or depends on the engine loads. Just have to cruise as much as possible with the throttle completely off and not be on the gas when you are on the down hill. As much as I hate to see the algorithms and programming for the ECU, the car might be set up where the low end is really aggressive with fueling, causing the engine to run really rich. Check your muffler tips and see if you have some black soot around.. I am guessing that there is a significant build-up already of soot on the rear bumper from the exhuast. The GT runs rich (not sure how rich on an 5EAT compared to a 5MT). There are possibilities to lean it out some and take out some timing, but the low end torque will be something that will be sacrificed in the process.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived