LegacyGT.com

how 2 get more power from a 3.0

I have a 01 3.0 motor and was wondering what the least expensive way to get more horses out of her is? any and all recommendations are welcome...thanks in advance....Garth

Trade it in for a gt. :lol:

When I had my 04 GTO, I was always on a GTO forum. The best way for those guys to make bigger power was long-tube headers (they have short, mid, and long types) and a tune. A lot of them used nitrous though. They got between 30 and 40 hp with just some long tubes and a tune.

The nitrous users went with 75hp to 150hp "shots". Over that and stock driveshafts started breaking. I'd say a 50hp shot for your car would be safe, as long as your internals and drivetrain components can handle 50 extra horses. That doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

50 extra horses, plus the smoother low end power of the H6 would be a nice combo. I think you could do it for less money than you think. The parts would cost $500 or less. Here is a link for a kit for 35 to 100 hp (different line restrictor sizes included) for $400, but I think safety switches are extra, but not a whole lot.

http://nitrousdirect.com/drynitrouskits.html

Aftermarket camshafts were also really popular, but they're probably expensive for Subies.

3.0 h6 motors are not really supported by the aftermarket. Any mod you buy for the car will be expensive. exchanging for a gt wont get you an increase in power as much as it will give you the ability to increase your power in a more cost effective manner. the lack of a MT for the h6 cars hurt power expandability as well. for the H6, a custom exhaust and intake will prolly free up some power, but no more than 20 hp or so peak. Id try to find someone who can tune the ecu to the mods you get. that will make anything you do to the car more effective. Hving a tuning solution is very imporant in geting more power out of the engine. Who knows? Maybe just a reflash will give some gains.

3.0 h6 motors are not really supported by the after market. Any mod you buy for the car will be expensive. exchanging for a gt wont get you an increase in power as much as it will give you the ability to increase your power in a more cost effective manner. the lack of a MT for the h6 cars hurt power expandability as well. for the H6, a custom exhaust and intake will probably free up some power, but no more than 20 hp or so peak. Id try to find someone who can tune the ecu to the mods you get. that will make anything you do to the car more effective. Having a tuning solution is very important in getting more power out of the engine.

best response by far

seriously we just dyno'd one of these last saturday....

its a pathetic motor but a comfortable car.

if you want power you'll have to go with a GT as the 3.0r's just don't have any.

It dyno'd out at like 160hp/170lbs.

look up the Yimi Dyno Meet and the number's are up in there.

It was more than at, 172whp/170ish wtq IIRC. Still pretty lame. Smooth as heck and very quiet, but no balls. It will actually suit a buyer looking for an even powerband, and more refinement than we get out of the 2.5 turbo motor. That buyer ain't me though!:lol:

BTW meier your Focus was rated at 130 crank hp. I'm pretty sure it would only put down around 100whp.

It was more than at, 172whp/170ish wtq IIRC. Still pretty lame. Smooth as heck and very quiet, but no balls. It will actually suit a buyer looking for an even powerband, and more refinement than we get out of the 2.5 turbo motor. That buyer ain't me though!:lol:

BTW meier your Focus was rated at 130 crank hp. I'm pretty sure it would only put down around 100whp.

pretty much and the more crap i put on it the slower it got

Archived