LegacyGT.com

Plasti Dip duarbility

km580

I am thinking about Plasti Diping my chrome around my windows. I was wondering about the long term durability through the 3 Ws, Washing, Waxing and Weather.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

I am thinking about Plasti Diping my chrome around my windows. I was wondering about the long term durability through the 3 Ws, Washing, Waxing and Weather.

It should hold up fine through Washing and Weather. You do not wax plastidip.

When you wash it, do not rub it with a lot of pressure. Soapy water and a gentle swipe over the area will be fine. If you apply too much pressure while cleaning the area you could break the plasti-dip skin or peel up the plasti-dip. The ease of breaking the plasti-dip skin would be dependent on how many coats you apply. 4-5 coats should give you good durability.

My plasti-dipped grille has seen a winter or two and many washes and I haven't noticed anything. When applying the paint, don't wait long after you are done to remove any tape. If you wait too long the paint could peel while taking it off. Since it is applied in thin coats you generally don't have to worry about the paint running. Also you can just peel it off anything you don't want painted.

As for as the wax part, I wouldn't wax it. I usually tape off any trim when I wax so I don't get any on the black trim. I was just concerned about any wax reidue on the plasti dip.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

I plasti-dipped my grill back in december. I live in harsh mountain conditions and am always having either mag chloride/salt/dirt or dirty water being sprayed into it almost daily. Aside from the crappy job I did initially where I messed up a few corners because it stuck to the painter's tape, it has held up 100% (through car washes as well).

Archived