LegacyGT.com

Wheelz n' Stuff

Ok, I need new wheels.

14" Brighton steelie suck. What would you recommend fitment wise?

I think 16" are the biggest id like to go before the rim/tire ratio gets to Paul Walker.

If I run 16s, id ideally like to get 16x6.5 or 7s, while running 205/55-r16.

Id like anyone's input and pictures would be super killer!

Thanks errybody

I think the 4th gen OEM 5-spokes look really good on the earlier gens., and they can be had for very cheap. They are a 17" wheel though.

What's your tire size?

Right now im rocking minterforce's with studs on my steelies and they are 185/70r14.

The rim is 5" wide.

I have a set of ASA mesh knock offs that have the same size tire but they are 6.5" wide.

You could put 205/45 or 215/45 on the 17x7 OEM 5-spokes and be just slightly over the 185/70-14 diameter (24.6" vs 24.3")

215/45-17 is the OEM tire size for the 4th gen.

heres what 205/45/17 would look like. i have that size on my wagon now...

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5091/20120628120524881.jpg

Looks good twisty.

Are you at stock ride height?

ya, its stock height but the struts are worn out and need replacing. in that pic the car was loaded to the gills with stuff, i was driving my kids across the country for vacation. the back was to the top. thats why theres more sag in the back.

I been looking at some veloxx wheels they are bbs lmr knockoffs in 16x7 with 205/50's continental extreme contact tires with stock ride height on my bd..they look real clean just take butt sag out and they give the car a real different look...would like og lmr's but they are worth more than my car at 550 a piece.

worst problem i have is when its fully loaded with stuff and 3 kids with me, if i hit a hard bump at 50mph or better ill bottom it out and the outside edge will buff up against the inner fender wall. it doesnt hit the metal since i rolled them, but it still rubs on the inner fender well. i think im running a +47 offset. im sure once i replace the suspension it wont bottom out so easily, but i had to have at least 800lbs in the back at that point lol. my kids arent young, they are teens. girls are all bony, about a buck 20 each. the boy is 210 or so and 6'1" at 16. hes a monster.

Looks nice twisty, doesn't look like stock ride height with that setup.

The wagons look sick dropped with 40 offset sixteens with a small lip, not like that hellaflush broken wheel look but a lot more mellow. I put a slightly negative camber on all my wheels on my bd, I hate how the wheel hop feels when turning. The only knock I have on macpherson suspension is that camber is pushed positive under load, double wishbone is opposite under load, the wheels get negative camber.

worst problem i have is when its fully loaded with stuff and 3 kids with me, if i hit a hard bump at 50mph or better ill bottom it out and the outside edge will buff up against the inner fender wall. it doesnt hit the metal since i rolled them, but it still rubs on the inner fender well. i think im running a +47 offset. im sure once i replace the suspension it wont bottom out so easily, but i had to have at least 800lbs in the back at that point lol. my kids arent young, they are teens. girls are all bony, about a buck 20 each. the boy is 210 or so and 6'1" at 16. hes a monster.

I hear that! Im 5'11' 210lbs and im 20

Hahaha I love hauling stuff

Exactly Justin,

I am a firm believer in the idea that you can have a very aggresive fitment, without it looking like the VIP/ Stance look. I give those guys credit just because I know how crappy suspension work can be, but its not my cup of tea.

Like if you analyze the bosozoku styled cars, they have the biggest flares, widest wheels and lowest offset, yet the contact patch isn't destroyed because the wheels are perpendicular to the ground.

It can be done, and that's why I am leaning towards 16's,

If I can tuck 17's and not hate my life ill try that.

I was honestly thinking about grabbing some Bassett racing wheels in black 16x7 et35. They are just aggressive steelies, and I drive my car like im autox-ing everywhere I go.

But as for the steering issue, they make bump steer adjusters (extended tie rod ends). It restores steering geometry with a drop do when you hit bumps the suspension travels without trying to pull the tie rods in or out.

Diamond racing wheels are big here...all the honda kiddies love them here bit also bitching about having to buy tires every year.

I know what you mean about auto-xing everywhere, every weekend on Saturday morning I "exercise " my car on trans mountain road here, its very exiting testing new mods and personal driving skill on that road. But I haul ass everywhere I go, nice to have everyone in your rearview.

When I come up with the money for my ideal suspension my tires will be magnets to the road.and I will be insanely happy.

Archived