LegacyGT.com

Remote Starters...What do you have? Looking to install one.

Wicked

I did a search and didn't come up with much as to what everyone has and how they like it. Give a review of what you have:

What Brand/Model do you have?

How much did you pay installed?

What would you get if you did it again?

I'm looking to install one in my Legacy before winter. I'm debating between a couple different Compustar models. Def. want a 2 way remote. I'm between the http://www.compustar.com/remotes/RF-2W940-SS.php and http://www.compustar.com/remotes/RF-2W940-SS.php. They also have a Pro series http://www.compustar.com/remotes/RF-P2W901-SS.php but other than the look of the remote and a 2 year warrenty of the remote I can't see any feature differences.

I would HIGHLY recommend the FTX-2400 Remote from Compustar. We install remote starters for a living and can tell you that this is hands down the nicest aftermarket remote to ever come to market. The quality of this remote is unlike any we've ever seen. Feels and looks like a high end factory remote and has the 2-way functions you want.

I would HIGHLY recommend the FTX-2400 Remote from Compustar. We install remote starters for a living and can tell you that this is hands down the nicest aftermarket remote to ever come to market. The quality of this remote is unlike any we've ever seen. Feels and looks like a high end factory remote and has the 2-way functions you want.

Besides looks, what is the difference between that and the slice remote? Neither are LCD but the range is further with the slice. Where do you install remotes (State)? What does your shop change for any of these?

The range on both products is 4000'. The only difference is the look and the feel of the remotes. The slice is supposed to be a limited production piece(looks like compustar was bitten by the apple 'white is great' bug) The slice remote is nice and super thin, but IMO feels like every other aftermarket remote-cheap and plastic. We are located in Mass. Pricing depends on Year/Make/Model, as well as features.

http://www.compustar.com/remotes/RF-2W9000-SS.php I have the older version of the one in the link. Ive had in my legacy almost 7 years now. Its been flawless. The main remote broke once after the warrenty, called them, and they had a new one at my stoop within the week. If there was just a way to install the drone part of it without changing out the entire compustar system I have already I would.

Installer here. Compustar is a great brand. It just makes sense they way they do things. The "extra parts and labor" on your car is going to be a bit more because of 2 different types of systems. If you go with a compustar 6000, 6200, or 6300 brain you'd use 1 BLADE interface module for your Immobilizer bypass, and another interface module (flcan or ads) to do your convenience (locks, factory alarm disarm).

There are both $100 a piece and a shop will most likely charge install on both interfaces (about $30 a piece).

You CAN use a 556U and give up a key but I think using 2 interfaces is a better option.

Neltech is correct you need both modules. The reason for this is they are actually talking on two different CAN busses to the car. The integration unit talks via the low speed can bus to the BIU while the immobilizer talks to the ECU via the high speed bus. You tap into both busses off the BIU, but as they run a separate speeds you need two modules.

Neltech, as you're an installer maybe you can answer this: Is there any way to "at home" program a Blade-AL/ADS-AL with the KLON system? There aren’t any Compustar installers within a reasonable distance of me, so if I'm going to get the setup I want I'll have to do it myself.

as far as I know there is no way to "at home" program an flcan/ads/blade. you must be a dealer to program any of those. The login/cable you need is to flash a compustar brain/blade or and flcan/ads is the same login/cable. If you find a viper dealer in your town you may be able to sweet talk someone into flashing a module for you but its hard to say. You can probably buy an flcan/ads preflashed from ebay or something.

Neltech is correct you need both modules. The reason for this is they are actually talking on two different CAN busses to the car. The integration unit talks via the low speed can bus to the BIU while the immobilizer talks to the ECU via the high speed bus. You tap into both busses off the BIU, but as they run a separate speeds you need two modules.

While it is true that you CAN use two separate modules, on this vehicle it is entirely unnecessary as all convenience features are straight negative triggers. It will make the install a wee bit quicker, but it is an unnecessary additional expense.

Wicked, Shoot me a pm, and I'll get you a price tomorrow. manual or Automatic?

I too will vouch for Compustar. I've got another brand unit in my car which I love that I used to order from an importer guy but I can't get them anymore. I've installed most brands and Compustar is all I buy these days to avoid annoyances for myself due to crappy quality or unreliable units. Many places advertise $160 installed for a regular remote start (non-2way). But of course once you get talking to them they usually charge more to connect they keyless entry part, bypass ignition security etc. I'd say the average newer vehicle should cost around $200 for the regular remote start and keyless (non 2way, not alarm). Being a 2-way unit doesn't really add complexity or time to the install but install price seams to go up anyway.

I'd expect to pay $150-$250 for install (not including the price of your unit) for a 2-way remote start with all the features hooked up on a car like yours. I'd do it for a reasonable price if you are anywhere near me.

My 09 has the Subaru OEM one. So far so good. It uses one of the 4 key 'slots' available. I see Fred Beans lists it at 280 on their website. The install sheet doesn't look any more complex than a radio install (at least to me, but I'm inclined that way). Even if you paid someone, it seems like a low cost start.

any recommendations for MT? Any models that stand out for example in terms of shut off procedure, android phone remote start wouldn't hurt either

also do I always have to give up one of the keys?

I believe all/most compustar models have a "manual/reservation" mode. I prefer not to have to deal with these manual mode situations, so because my 2005 (prolly at least all 2005-2009) have a neutral switch built into tranny... I wired it up such that the remote starter will not attempt to 'crank' if the transmission isn't in neutral or e-brake are not set. I made sort of fail-safe and leave the unit in auto tranny mode so it operates normally. I may have an old post about my install.. I'll look.

Mine was about $800 installed. Of course it was through the only installer in the county who sells Compustar and would install it on a manual.

$650 installed for remote start for a manual tranny and drone mobile. Drone does GPS tracking.

Viper does not

Archived