LegacyGT.com

Temp hand going up then back down?

Well, I had my HG's replaced about a week ago by a subaru master tech. fixed my foamy radiator problem. Thought all was well..Not the case. Car runs great besides a temp hand being stupid. I bought a brand new radiator and just put it in. Burped the system no air pockets at all. Full of subaru coolant. While the car is sitting there the temp hand will go just above the coolant symbol on the gauge. Fans will kick on and it will drop. 2-3mins later it will do it again over and over. Tried a new radiator cap and still nothing. Brand new hoses all around. Could it be the coolant sending unit or faulty theromstat? Im dried up on cash getting this thing fixed. By the way its on a 1998 subaru legacy gt 2.5 5 speed. Any help would be greatful trying to get this thing running correct for the temp hand.

My cousin has the same car but in automatic. We ran his the same way just sitting there and his does perfect never goes past half way..:[ I want mine like that

Only way I know of, undo that screw near the upper rad hose, Fill the rad up with coolant and squeez the hose till it drops down repeat it. It had a air bubble in there once cause I started it up and let it run and it acted like I didnt even put any coolant in it lol. Ill keep trying tho. Maybe im doing it wrong

i had the same problem, and mine was in the thermostat. at first it was an air pocket not allowing the thermostat to fully open. i just ended up getting a cheap thermostat and hollowing it out, i'll get around to properly fixing it whenever i get the time to...

Havent tried the jack trick. Yes the radiator cap was off.

was the vent cap removed? this is crucial.

between 26 and 27 next to the rad hose.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/johnceggleston/MVC-004S-1.jpg

Yea it was removed. The tstat is brand new maybe its faulty. Gonna hook it up tomorrow to the dbr and see what the temp is when the fans kick on to bring it down. It gets to about 3/4 before they come on. Could the heater.core be clogged up? Or can I use it as a bypass to check

Didnt know that, Ill give that a shot tonight after work. Does it hurt anything if it does what its doing? Its not getting hot just going up past half way then dropping right back down when it peaks at the symbol for the temp. If I leave the ac going it never does it ( of course cause of the fans always running. ) I dont wanna blow anymore head gaskets

Archived