LegacyGT.com

Here be your 350Z kill story

Avishar

My friend and I have been spending days, perhaps even minutes looking for a 350Z to run against. Though during break-in I had the chance to play with one it still wasn't a true race. I was driving home from the family business late one night and I look to my driver's side view mirror and see blue lights.

Figuring it was a Maxima (since they all resemble each other at night) I kept going forward at 50. It pulls beside me and I realize its a Silver 350Z Track (Brembo brakes are unmistakeable). The driver (some hippie looking man) looks at me like I was a cokehead or something.

I look back at him smiling giving him the thumbs up for not being a total jackass like the previous owners of the past. As I see him from the corner of my eye (keep in mind we were rolling at about 50) he looks forward and I can see his arm tense as he reaches to downshift. At that moment I knew the only chance my Legacy would have was if I was able to react before he did.

I depressed the clutch pedal about 4 1/2" (my sweet spot) and threw it from 5th into second and caught the sweeping rpms in the middle of the boost band. I heard the sound of his mighty V6 roar but alas my Boxer-4 had already pulled a Mini Cooper length on him and off I went maintaining my lead. Both realizing we were coming to a speed trap we both slowed down and maintained our Mini space until we got to the end of the last couple hundred feet of the two lane at the "race light".

The light was red and I was in the right lane meaning not only would I have to pull on the Z, but I would have to pull at least a car length in under 600'. If I was even with him I would have to accept loss, brake and drop behind him. I got a massive headrush from the adrenaline pumping from the cheesy gay ass techno music my car was playing.

This would be the race that would shut my Legacy's streak out finally I thought to myself, it was finally going to be over. I saw the perpendicular light flash yellow and it was time for me to go out with a bang. I accumulated revs until I hit around 3500 rpm (Ease-clutch-here-for-instant-torque/boost-point).

The Z roared like a metallic lion with a malignant tumor in its throat. Almost two full blinks later the light flashed its green and the drag was on. The Z smoked its rear tires leaving skidmarks for about a foot and the engine screamed, I lost a little traction and smelled my stinky clutch a bit and rubber banded forward 1 heartbeat later hearing the signature supercharger-whine esque Flat 4.

6750 RPM is the redline limiter, I put the clutch in at 6500 and smoothly shifted into second floored the throttle by wire sensor after catching it. I looked to the left expecting the Z to roar by me and I saw a vehichle whiz by. But wait a second, it was driving the opposite way.

In the heat of the acceleration I already had merged left. It was done.I pulled on the Z by between 1-2 car lengths and saw the hippie man in my rear view mirror with a look of "How-the-hell-did-I-get-blown-by-a-4-door" syndrome on his face.

Not tailgating anymore it seemed like the man accepted what had just occurred. Once again I had underestimated the power of the turbocharged and intercooled horizontally opposed 4 and renewed my respect for my little four door.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My friend and I have been spending days, perhaps even minutes looking for a 350Z to run against. Though during break-in I had the chance to play with one it still wasn't a true race. I was driving home from the family business late one night and I look to my driver's side view mirror and see blue lights.

Figuring it was a Maxima (since they all resemble each other at night) I kept going forward at 50. It pulls beside me and I realize its a Silver 350Z Track (Brembo brakes are unmistakeable). The driver (some hippie looking man) looks at me like I was a cokehead or something.

I look back at him smiling giving him the thumbs up for not being a total jackass like the previous owners of the past. As I see him from the corner of my eye (keep in mind we were rolling at about 50) he looks forward and I can see his arm tense as he reaches to downshift. At that moment I knew the only chance my Legacy would have was if I was able to react before he did.

I depressed the clutch pedal about 4 1/2" (my sweet spot) and threw it from 5th into second and caught the sweeping rpms in the middle of the boost band. I heard the sound of his mighty V6 roar but alas my Boxer-4 had already pulled a Mini Cooper length on him and off I went maintaining my lead. Both realizing we were coming to a speed trap we both slowed down and maintained our Mini space until we got to the end of the last couple hundred feet of the two lane at the "race light".

The light was red and I was in the right lane meaning not only would I have to pull on the Z, but I would have to pull at least a car length in under 600'. If I was even with him I would have to accept loss, brake and drop behind him. I got a massive headrush from the adrenaline pumping from the cheesy gay ass techno music my car was playing.

This would be the race that would shut my Legacy's streak out finally I thought to myself, it was finally going to be over. I saw the perpendicular light flash yellow and it was time for me to go out with a bang. I accumulated revs until I hit around 3500 rpm (Ease-clutch-here-for-instant-torque/boost-point).

The Z roared like a metallic lion with a malignant tumor in its throat. Almost two full blinks later the light flashed its green and the drag was on. The Z smoked its rear tires leaving skidmarks for about a foot and the engine screamed, I lost a little traction and smelled my stinky clutch a bit and rubber banded forward 1 heartbeat later hearing the signature supercharger-whine esque Flat 4.

6750 RPM is the redline limiter, I put the clutch in at 6500 and smoothly shifted into second floored the throttle by wire sensor after catching it. I looked to the left expecting the Z to roar by me and I saw a vehichle whiz by. But wait a second, it was driving the opposite way.

In the heat of the acceleration I already had merged left. It was done.I pulled on the Z by between 1-2 car lengths and saw the hippie man in my rear view mirror with a look of "How-the-hell-did-I-get-blown-by-a-4-door" syndrome on his face.

Not tailgating anymore it seemed like the man accepted what had just occurred. Once again I had underestimated the power of the turbocharged and intercooled horizontally opposed 4 and renewed my respect for my little four door.

eh ehm .. b.s.! :lol: .. my program alternates between 2 and 3 sentences ( or periods ) per paragraph.

also, you had a few ... in there. my script replaces three and 2 dots with 1. you will notice that where you did have 3 dots, the next letter is capitalized.

well, maybe you just copied my post.

either way, thank you for your support, please come again :D

and oh yah, .. very nice story, i enjoyed the read :)

eh ehm .. b.s.! :lol: .. my program alternates between 2 and 3 sentences ( or periods ) per paragraph.

also, you had a few ... in there. my script replaces three and 2 dots with 1. you will notice that where you did have 3 dots, the next letter is capitalized.

well, maybe you just copied my post.

either way, thank you for your support, please come again :D

and oh yah, .. very nice story, i enjoyed the read :)

please read my response to jedimaster's question a little more carefully. You will notice the double negative. Didn't not= did ;)

Archived