LegacyGT.com

Tinted Tail Lights

superscooby

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
use black spray paint.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

If you can find a good film...go with film. I did mine like 3 years ago and it's still perfect. Film is so much easier to get it right and if you ever want to change it you can just peel it off.

I'm wanting to do the same. Real question is though what % smoke/tint have people gone with?

I'm going to leave the clear/reverse lights clear though I only plan on covering just the red portion.

You realize this is illegal, right?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I've been watching this kid in my development turn a perfectly normal VW passat into a piece of rice. Fart can on the back, ricer stickers on the back and front window, blacked out tail lights and blacked out headlights:confused:. I wasn't sure what the hell he was doing with the headlights, but I saw him driving around today. He's headlights are fricking red! WTF?? totally illegal in Md.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• I Donated
Do tinted taillights look cool? Yes, in some cases. Are they safe? No. A guy on another car forum I'm on who had tinted taillights got rear-ended because the person in back of him couldn't tell his brake lights were on. His car was totaled. I guess if you really want another car, though... ;)

The best part is, that tinted lights completely absolve the person doing the rear-ending from any fault. It becomes YOUR fault that you got rear-ended.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

don't want to hurt my camera.....:lol:

Thanks for all of the concern about my safety and my legal needs everyone...

Just to clarify, I never said I was going to murder out my lights... I said tint. That translates to a smoke color which they actually make dot approved smoke tail lenses. I am not too concerned with the ticket possibility from that and if some tool rear ends me and then tries to claim they didn't see me because of my tail lights I will laugh in their face.

This is what I am aiming for:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103321&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1319111104

Thanks for all of the concern about my safety and my legal needs everyone...

Just to clarify, I never said I was going to murder out my lights... I said tint. That translates to a smoke color which they actually make dot approved smoke tail lenses. I am not too concerned with the ticket possibility from that and if some tool rear ends me and then tries to claim they didn't see me because of my tail lights I will laugh in their face.

This is what I am aiming for:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103321&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1319111104

You can laugh all the way to the bank... where you'll need to go to get the money to pay the ticket you get and the hike in insurance.

Any tail light tinting is illegal. Period. FMVSS108 clearly points out that any non-clear covering is in violation. And don't forget that obstruction of lighting devices is a primary offense.

There is no such thing as "DOT approved". The DOT is not an approval/denial body. They set regulations. Items can be in compliance with DOT regulations, but there is no such thing as DOT approved.

WA State Patrol

Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this chapter shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light visible from a distance of not less than one hundred feet and on any vehicle manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1964, three hundred feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of a service brake, and which may but need not be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.

The best part is, that tinted lights completely absolve the person doing the rear-ending from any fault. It becomes YOUR fault that you got rear-ended.

This is the part that scares me. I don't mind the ticket, but giving up any legal rights to defense in a rear end collision because you wanted your car to look more stealth is just asking for it.

I have a new respect for obeying vehicle codes. I recently removed my front window tint and attached my front license plate because I got pulled over. This resulted in another offense here in So Cal.

What I'm saying is.....DON'T DO IT. You will attract uneeded attention to yourself especially if you commit other offenses while driving.

I used to have a tinted license plate cover on my rear plate. it was a light tint so it didn't block it out. I got pulled over for running a yellow light one time in DC. he let me off, and he also warned me that my plate cover was illegal in DC and I could get a ticket for having it.

shocked.. I said "but I'm a Md resident" He replied, doesn't matter...your car is in DC right now and it can earn you a ticket.

Archived