LegacyGT.com

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

I have a 98 LGTL It has cloth seats, Leather wrapped trim on the interior, black side skirts in a red body and the cheapest factory radio you'd ever imagine :) So it seems the badge and a few creature comforts are the difference.

correction...

I have to eat a little crow...

Mine is not a limited, just a GT. I don't know why I had it in my head that it was a limited. Mine has things like:

sunroof, hood scoop, bigger wheels, dual piston brakes and leather trim steering wheel and shifter. But like I said, cloth seats, non color matching side skirts

It's been in the family since it was new and I'm sure it has not been modified.

• I Donated
ljshein, leather seats and door cards were STANDARD in the Limited trim. You couldn't buy a limited without those. I'm sure some parts have been swapped around on yours sometime before you owned it.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

My 98 Limited has:

Color 230 Code (Arctic White).

Weatherband/CD/Tape Player.

Leather EVERYWHERE (even the door panels).

Sunroof. (Opens up & slides back).

Body colored skirts/trims.

Wood 'accent' on the interior trim.

Hood Scoop.

Spoiler.

EJ25D w/4EAT.

2 piston front brake calipers/1 piston rear calipers.

Larger-than-L brake discs.

KYB shock/strut assembly.

Other than these things, it would seem no different than my last 2 Ls.

• I Donated

your door panels don't have leather because they are not the orignal most likely. I've never seen a Limited that didn't have leather door panels.

As far as your brakes, you have the standard Legacy GT / Outback brakes. They are a step up from the Legacy L.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Thats what I said.

standard legacy gt / outback brakes.....a step up from L brakes.

in other words - same brakes as gt/ob.....upgraded brakes compared to the L

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
the ob has single piston calipers on the front, we have duel

My OB has dual. And I've done brake jobs on other OBs with dual piston up front as well

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
seats are readily available. door cards, not so much.

I've noticed that. It seems that there are more seats out there then door cards....you would think that there would be an equal number of the two.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

when i tried to buy the leather ones to match my seats, the yard wanted to keep them with the doors, complete. that makes sense.

and it seems hard to find a yard that actually lists them on car-part.com. there must not be a large demand or more would do it.

Now Im getting worried cause when I bought the car I looked up alot about the headgasket problems with the ej25. I read that once the headgaskets have been replaced that they shouldnt go out again. They were replaced at around 120,000 and the car is at 138,000. Now I keep reading about how people keep swapping out their ej25 for an ej22.

Now Im getting worried cause when I bought the car I looked up alot about the headgasket problems with the ej25. I read that once the headgaskets have been replaced that they shouldnt go out again. They were replaced at around 120,000 and the car is at 138,000. Now I keep reading about how people keep swapping out their ej25 for an ej22.

Swapping a 25D out for a 22E is usually something that's done to save time & money. It is very true that the 22E is a tougher engine. However, your headgaskets have been done & I'd check to see if they were MLS gaskets. If so, your engine is set. No need to swap it out if it's never overheated before.

Well apparently it was overheating thats why they were replaced along with the timing belt and water pump. I mean the car is running good right now but I really hope I didnt buy a piece of crap.

You didn't. They caught in time if they had to service the issue like that. Just make sure you keep maintaining it & it will last. If it's running smooth now & isn't overheating, it won't overheat again. That timing belt w/water pump replacement interval is crucial though.

Yeah well my last car, a 5th gen Honda prelude was an interference engine too. But when start the car up it makes a ticking noise untill its warmed up. Is that the piston slap I been reading about? Otherwise the car runs pretty good. Ive never driven a car with this many miles on it so I dont know how its suppose to feel at 138k miles

• I Donated

The tapping is probably your valves being out of adjustment. There are shims that sometimes need to be redone.

Or you may need to bleed HLAs

Hell....idk lol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Yeah well my last car, a 5th gen Honda prelude was an interference engine too. But when start the car up it makes a ticking noise untill its warmed up. Is that the piston slap I been reading about? Otherwise the car runs pretty good. Ive never driven a car with this many miles on it so I dont know how its suppose to feel at 138k miles

Well, a well kept Legacy GT should feel pretty solid. I know mine does (164K). Feels smooth as silk when I'm driving it. My issue is the engine, which I have to take care not to push too hard.

Archived