LegacyGT.com

Bad throwout bearing and clunking?

jsquared518

So a week or so ago, my 05 lgt wagon started making a loud clunk that seems to becoming from the front end, especially when coming to a stop or pulling out of a parking space. It has just over 120k miles on it, bone stock. Then yesterday, I was driving and it started making a whirring chirping noise at idle and at low speed, especially in a drive through or near a wall. I initially was worried about the turbo, but then I realized the noise would go away if I pressed the clutch in at all. On my way to work this morning, I noticed a grinding feeling to the clutch, and the smell of hydraulic fluid. In addition, at idle when the clutch is not depressed, it sounds like tinfoil in a fan. If I depress the clutch, it makes a nasty whooshing noise. Still seems to drive fine, but will occasionally pop itself out of reverse. So I think it's probably a bad throwout bearing. My question is, could this be related to the clunking that appeared? Also, am I possibly looking at a new tranny based on the noises it is making now? I'm taking it to the mechanic tomorrow morning, I don't have time to deal with a clutch job right now. Is it safe to drive until then?

The clunking is most likely End links on the sway bars. These cars are known for that.

Get the car to a shop and have them replace the clutch and FW with a set up from a 07-09 Legacy GT. Have them install a TSK3 TOB kit too.

You could may be get cheap and just do the TOB, but the clutch is not far behind it being toast too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea thats what I'm thinking. The noise just seemed like it could be coming from the transmission area, but that could just be my paranoia. I'm definitely going to have them do the clutch too, I'd do it myself but I just don't have time right now as I just started a 19 credit semester at school. If I'm paying them to pull the engine anyway, no reason not to do the clutch at the same time. At this point I'm really just hoping I don't have to but a tranny too.

Archived