LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

Dammit! My ghost showed up again. It seems to be tied to heat too. The hotter it was in the car, the less likely any of the buttons would work. This morning, they were all working fine again. Need to pull things apart AGAIN. :mad:

Could the heat be loosening the electrical tape's glue?

Try a hot glue gun FTW!

Well, cooler weather fixed it on its own, so I don't think the tape came loose. That was my first thought though. I think I'm just going to either use vampire taps, or maybe even go all out and flat out splice wires! My wires were cut about 2-3 inches shorter than I would have liked, so they might be pulling loose for that reason. :(

One thing I have to say though is that as far as I know, I'm the only one who's had problems with this, and I'd still recommend it to ANYONE!

One thing I have to say though is that as far as I know, I'm the only one who's had problems with this, and I'd still recommend it to ANYONE!

Still no problem with mine!

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Well I finally got the time to install the buttons. It was very easy, good walkthrough! It took me about 2hr, it could have been quicker, but I got anal about cutting the wires that were for the shift buttons. I tried to pull the connectors out of the housing. I spliced the wires into the harness between the swivel and the plug. I ended up cutting the wires. Oh well. I also had a brain fart on installing the buttons. I took the steering wheel off, then thought why take the wheel off, I only have to take out the screws. So I put it back on. Then I realized I had to take it off, so I took it off once again. I did find a instruction sheet that was posted that showed how to take the radio out for installing the sub, which helped me figure out how to get that all taken apart, I wish I could remember who posted it. The new buttons are very cool, I think the strreing wheel should come this way. Thanks a ton Trabbic.

Oh yeah, When I took the car out after the install I foundout about having to reteach the ECU! Can you say NO get-up-and-go!! I did find this which I think helped. NASIOC - Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :)

________

Toyota Corolla

Edited by mcsquish

McSquish...I see you installed them on an AT...I have the buttons, but haven't gotten around to installing them.

Is there anything special that you have to do? Did you take pics? Are you going to post instructions? Do we have to worry about the shift buttons being tied to the TCU/ECU and throwing any lights?

mvigneau, nothing really special. Trabbic's instructions are good. I do have the .pdf on getting to the radio, but I'm not sure how to post it. I tried attachng it, but it was too large. I did cut the shifter wires and haven't had any lights as of yet.

________

W220

Edited by mcsquish

mvigneau, nothing really special. Trabbic's instructions are good. I do have the .pdf on getting to the radio, but I'm not sure how to post it. I tried attachng it, but it was too large. I did cut the shifter wires and haven't had any lights as of yet.

Email me the PDF and I will host it for you.

Well there you go guys, it is possible and works fine on an Automatic, good job mcsquish!

HAHA Yeah finally catching up on the boards. I feel like I have been gone for MONTHS!:lol:

So when are you gonna do this mod CasopoliS?

Too lazy. Rather spend money on a power mod or exterior mod anyway. I will end up doing it eventually, but right now there are other things on the list.

Just a reminder that there's a market for the discarded leather wheels...

Especially with the momo logo...

PM...

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you send me the pdf file? I'll post it.

The email is strykersti@gmail.com

So anyone did it on a 2.5i?

I plan to buy a 2.5i so instead of looking for a momo take-off I may as well put momo with audio controls.

Btw, if anyone wants to buy wheel with audio controls, check this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/member-classifieds/40976-fs-momo-wheel-audio.html?highlight=wheel+audio+controls

No 2.5i love for steering wheel audio controls?

Sorry I didn't get back with you Leonardo, I've been traveling for work so much that I forgot. But then again I have forgotten a bunch of stuff and have no idea what time it is or what day it is. :spin: Which really sucks when I'm home and it's a Friday...........

________

Free Magento Themes

Edited by mcsquish

Yes i did, posting up now. Sorry, got lost in the hustle...

Edited the directions to include this link:

http://www.trabbic.com/legacy/radio%20install.pdf

Umm, that is the PDF for the sub-woofer install.

Tought it was a PDF for installing the audio controlls on an auto.

So just cut the wires of the shifter buttons and do the install as if it were a stickshift?

Umm, that is the PDF for the sub-woofer install.

Tought it was a PDF for installing the audio controlls on an auto.

Nope just a pdf for stereo removal.

So just cut the wires of the shifter buttons and do the install as if it were a stickshift?

Yup. :icon_mrgr