LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT Limited vs 07 Legacy GT, help me decide

HockeyPlayer

New to the forum, was a Subaru salesperson 12 years ago so I know the cars.

Trying to decide between a 05 Legacy Limited GT auto with 94k miles for $10k or a 07 Legacy Limited GT, 5 spd with 110k miles and timing belt done for $11k. Both cars need tires.

This will be a winter DD, so I will install winter tires for whatever car I choose.

Of course I prefer stick, 19 or the 20 cars I've owned over the years have been manuals but I don't mind having one car as an auto since this car will only accumulate highway miles and sit in heavy traffic, also my wife can drive it, etc.

If it was my only car, than yes, must be a stick. This will be a fifth car so transmission doesn't matter.

So take the transmission out of the equation, which is the better buy?

Which will be easier to sell if next year I decide to buy the new WRX?

thanks

G

I'd go with the 07, it has some updates that the 05 doesnt, like no cat in the uppipe that if not replaced can break apart with age and kill your turbo and possibly engine. Plus if the 05 doesnt have the timing belt/water pump service that would cost you close to the $1k in price difference thus making the price a non issue. That and its 2 yrs newer.... I'm also like you and have never owned a auto, besides wifes car and I've driven both the auto/mt in LGT and the smiles per mile are way more with the MT, my .02c

personally i would just wait, those are both high milage cars or at least getting there. just keep waiting you may pay a grand or two more but you should be able to find one in the 70k range. GL

but if no other choice i would go with the 2007, just because its a manual :) and timing belt has been done. the 5 speed would be a better car to sell.

I'd go with the 07, it has some updates that the 05 doesnt, like no cat in the uppipe that if not replaced can break apart with age and kill your turbo and possibly engine. Plus if the 05 doesnt have the timing belt/water pump service that would cost you close to the $1k in price difference thus making the price a non issue. That and its 2 yrs newer.... I'm also like you and have never owned a auto, besides wifes car and I've driven both the auto/mt in LGT and the smiles per mile are way more with the MT, my .02c

• 9 months later...

07 if the timing belt service was done correctly. Worth doing a pre-purchase inspection on either as there are quite a few little issues that can add up to a pretty hefty bill if not done. Cam seals are a beeeyatch to change on these but hopefully if they needed to be done, it would have happened when the timing belt was replaced. Inner axle boots are probably due if not broken. . . lower control arm bushings. . . brakes, tires. etc.

When dealing in upper echelon trim levels (such as GT), auto trans rarely adds value. . . so even with more miles I'd say the MT would be easier to resell.

more food for thought, the 05 does not have fold-down back seats (only the middle folds down into an armrest/hole into the trunk) whereas I'm pretty sure the 07 does have fold down back seats. crucial if you ever want to actually fit anything big into a legacy haha at least for me it is...

This sums up the differences I think other than some little cosmetic changes

07 has Fold down seats

07 has catless uppipe which is a bit of relief

07 already has timing belt job done

07 has Aux input

07 has SI drive

05 was the first year for this LGT. There are always bugs that are worked out the first couple years.

05 has fewer miles, not much fewer though.

If you don't know, the HVAC circuit board is integrated with stereo circuit board, so you can't just swap out for a new head unit. There are JDM swaps, JL clean sweeps, but all can be pricey and more complicated.

Overall if transmission doesn't matter, get the 07. Its only a 10% difference in price for a lot better, and practical features

• 4 weeks later...

05 because the automatic (5eat) is a better awd system than the 07 (manual) and you are using this as a winter car. see this for more details: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/explanation-continuous-active-and-vtd-awd-systems-honest-attempt-48112.html . also having that SI drive thing is just an annoyance, intelligent is a dog so you will never use it. 05 just has regular and sport and both feel fast.

directly from that post:

So again which system is the best? I would say the order could be as follows:

1. DCCD with Front and Rear LSDs - WRX Sti

2. VTD - 4EAT on WRX and 5EAT on Outback XT, Outback 3.0R and Legacy GT

3. Active AWD with Rear LSD: 4EAT on Outback 2.5i

4. Tie. Depends on what you need more? proactive AWD system or the Rear LSD (if offroading)

Active AWD without Rear LSD: 4EAT on Impreza 2.5i, Legacy 2.5i and Legacy 2.5i Ltd

Continuous AWD with Rear LSD: 5MT on WRX, Legacy GT, Outback 2.5i, Outback XT and 6MT on spec.B

5. Continuous AWD without Rear LSD: 5MT on Impreza 2.5i and Legacy 2.5i

Archived