LegacyGT.com

2007 spec.B - Burning Smell and Smoke

Hello,

I've recently purchased a 2007 Legacy spec.B (my first Subaru) and I've encountered a handful of problems, most recently being a burning smell and smoke coming from somehwere under hood.

I first noticed the smell when I drove about an hour up and down the canyon. I had changed the airflow from Recyled to Outside air because it had been raining and I wanted to take in that clean, fresh rain smell.

However, I noticed that with the selection on Outside Air, a strong, acidic burning smell would enter through the vents whevenever (and only when) the car was brought to a stop or idle. When I parked the car for the night, I would notice the smell in the garage as well.

So, I took the car in for it's 15,000 mile maintenance and they proceeded to check all the belts, look for oil leaks, replace the coolant, etc. They told me that the problem was an "Automotive Transportation Coating" that was burning off the exhaust and making that smell and that it would go away around 20,000 miles.

I immediately was suspect of that prognosis and talked to several of the mechanics about it there before driving off the lot. But I knew that it wouldn't be long before I'd have to take it back in again.

So today, three days later, I was doing some major freeway driving and for the first time, noticed white smoke pouring out from under the hood whenever i came to stop at a red light. I immediately checked my engine temperature gauge and noticed it was quite high, but not yet in the red (maybe a quarter of the way away from there).

When I got home, I popped the hood and saw white smoke pouring out from below the engine but I couldn't pinpoint the exact location (looked to be coming more from near the front/middle of the engine on the passenger side). I checked my reserve coolant tank and saw that it was at the LOW level line, which I thought was odd considering that three days previous they had supposedly had the coolant flushed out and replaced.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Is it an overheating problem? A coolant problem? Has anyone else experienced something like this? Does anyone really think it's a "Automotive Transportation Coating"?

I'm going to call again tomorrow and make an appointment at a different location to see if they can find a problem. Sadly, you have to be driving the car for awhile before you start to notice the smell or the smoke. Just turning on the car won't yeild any results.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Edit: I just checked the coolant tank 8 hours after I parked the car in the garage. It is completely empty. I checked under the car and there are no spots or puddles to be seen and nothing underneath the coolant tank for what I can see.

If not a leak for the turbo, you might have a leaky headgasket. Check your oil and see if its discolored or smells sweet

Edit: I just checked the coolant tank 8 hours after I parked the car in the garage. It is completely empty. I checked under the car and there are no spots or puddles to be seen and nothing underneath the coolant tank for what I can see.

I missed this edit. I concurr with ACZwild.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

UPDATE: Called the dealership this morning. They told me that it was quite normal for the coolant tank in the front to be "LOW" or even empty (as it is now). He said it would even be fine to drive in to the service department.

However, the Owner's Manual specifically states that: "If the level is close to or lower than the "LOW" level mark, add coolant up to the "FULL" level mark. If the reserve tank is empty, remove the radiator cap and refill as required."

Remember, these are the people who told me the burning smell was the Automotive Transportation Coating. Should I take my car elsewhere? Is this an incompetent service department?

I'll be sure to mention the leaky headgasket and the leak in the oil supply to the turbo and see what they say (if I decide to take it back to them).

Update #2) Took my car in to the dealership this morning. On the way there, I got smoke and smell again. This time, when I turned on the Ouside Air, I'd get white smoke pouring in through the vents (only when stopped at a light or idle).

When I got to the dealership, I went inside and asked one of the mechanics to come out immediately. I popped the hood and showed him the white smoke. He said "Hmm, doesn't smell like coolant to me. Coolant usually has a sweet, sticky smell."

Whatever, I thought. So, I left the car with them and went to work.

I called them later around 4:00 and they told me that they had pressure steam cleaned the engine and then driven it around. They said that the mechanic had found red liquid (i.e. power steering fluid) so they think there's a power steering leak somewhere, but they can't pinpoint where it is yet. They told me they thought that was the cause of the burning smell and the smoke.

So I then asked, "How does that explain the loss of coolant? It was LOW and then empty within 8 hours--and I just got it flushed and replaced three days ago. Plus, there was so much white smoke seeping out from under the hood, I'm not sure the power steering liquid could have caused all of that."

He agreed that it didn't explain the loss of coolant, but he went on to tell me that they had tested the pressure on the coolant system and it all checked out fine and there was no loss of anywhere and the radiator cap was fine.

At that point, however, they had run out of time in the day.

So... again, I'm a bit weary thinking the problem is just the power steering fluid. To me, there just seems to be too much white/blue smoke steaming out from under the hood when the car is being driven to really be a power steering leak all of in itself. But, maybe I'm wrong. I mean, I think there may be a power steering fluid leak, but I really think there's something else bigger going on. How does that explain the coolant loss?

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. What do you guys think?

Definitely a tricky problem, and I feel your pain. Never run into this before but as you mentioned that low coolant is definitely a problem. You don't see any residue from the coolant on the underside of the car, if it isn't leaking out it must be going somewhere.

Hello,

I've recently purchased a 2007 Legacy spec.B (my first Subaru) and I've encountered a handful of problems, most recently being a burning smell and smoke coming from somehwere under hood.

I first noticed the smell when I drove about an hour up and down the canyon. I had changed the airflow from Recyled to Outside air because it had been raining and I wanted to take in that clean, fresh rain smell.

However, I noticed that with the selection on Outside Air, a strong, acidic burning smell would enter through the vents whevenever (and only when) the car was brought to a stop or idle. When I parked the car for the night, I would notice the smell in the garage as well.

So, I took the car in for it's 15,000 mile maintenance and they proceeded to check all the belts, look for oil leaks, replace the coolant, etc. They told me that the problem was an "Automotive Transportation Coating" that was burning off the exhaust and making that smell and that it would go away around 20,000 miles.

I immediately was suspect of that prognosis and talked to several of the mechanics about it there before driving off the lot. But I knew that it wouldn't be long before I'd have to take it back in again.

So today, three days later, I was doing some major freeway driving and for the first time, noticed white smoke pouring out from under the hood whenever i came to stop at a red light. I immediately checked my engine temperature gauge and noticed it was quite high, but not yet in the red (maybe a quarter of the way away from there).

When I got home, I popped the hood and saw white smoke pouring out from below the engine but I couldn't pinpoint the exact location (looked to be coming more from near the front/middle of the engine on the passenger side). I checked my reserve coolant tank and saw that it was at the LOW level line, which I thought was odd considering that three days previous they had supposedly had the coolant flushed out and replaced.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Is it an overheating problem? A coolant problem? Has anyone else experienced something like this? Does anyone really think it's a "Automotive Transportation Coating"?

I'm going to call again tomorrow and make an appointment at a different location to see if they can find a problem. Sadly, you have to be driving the car for awhile before you start to notice the smell or the smoke. Just turning on the car won't yeild any results.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Check coolant leak at turbo. Replace flimsy pinch clamp with screw clamp.

You said you just had the coolant replaced. Did you check the level in the tank when you picked the car up? It's possible that the car was not filled completely when the service was done.

The smoke does sound, from your description, much like ATF or power steering fluid which are many times one and the same fluid. It burns with a very white smoke, especially when it hits a hot manifold and vaporizes. Have you checked your PS reservoir for fluid level?

You have a leak in the oil supply to the turbo. Either the block fitting or the banjo fitting (most likely) on the turbo.

UPDATE #3) Well... called the dealership back again today. They said "Actually, looks like the problem was one of the things you wrote down on the list." They told me that there was a pinpoint hole in the pipe that leads to the turbo which was dripping oil and it was leaking down, hitting (something) and burning. They could only reproduce it when idle--and I'm not quite sure how that fits in with the Power Steering Fluid but they said they had ordered two new pipes/hoses (metal, I think) for both the power steering and the turbo. He said he wouldn't drive it until they fix it because it would burn out the turbo.

He says they tested the coolant again today and still no pressure loss anywhere and it was staying topped off... but I don't think they're really taking it out driving either. He admitted that sometimes the guys goof off and get distracted and may not have filled it up completely when they flushed it out. I told him I couldn't believe he just admitted that to me... but at least it's somewhat honest.

So, they said they had the parts ordered and should have it finished by Friday. We'll see. I'll post updates. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Looks like your advice helped steer them in the right direction (knock on wood).

I'll update when I hear more information.

UPDATE #3) Well... called the dealership back again today. They said "Actually, looks like the problem was one of the things you wrote down on the list." They told me that there was a pinpoint hole in the pipe that leads to the turbo which was dripping oil and it was leaking down, hitting (something) and burning. They could only reproduce it when idle--and I'm not quite sure how that fits in with the Power Steering Fluid but they said they had ordered two new pipes/hoses (metal, I think) for both the power steering and the turbo. He said he wouldn't drive it until they fix it because it would burn out the turbo.

He says they tested the coolant again today and still no pressure loss anywhere and it was staying topped off... but I don't think they're really taking it out driving either. He admitted that sometimes the guys goof off and get distracted and may not have filled it up completely when they flushed it out. I told him I couldn't believe he just admitted that to me... but at least it's somewhat honest.

So, they said they had the parts ordered and should have it finished by Friday. We'll see. I'll post updates. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Looks like your advice helped steer them in the right direction (knock on wood).

I'll update when I hear more information.

Those guys are either liars or stupid. Pin point hole, what a joke. It WAS the banjo fitting. I hope you don't pay a dime for this and I would like to see any (yeah any) part with a pin hole leak!!!

Look at the tube. There is almost no place for the tube to leak onto the turbo except at the banjo fitting.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I'm glad things are getting worked out for you, but I'm sorry you had to come to us to get insight. The dealer should be able to diagnose and repair your car and not jeopardize your vehicle. I hope everything goes well and that you dont have any more problems like this after.

I would err on the side of caution though after you get your car back and I would carry a thing of coolant in your trunk for a week or so, just in case

Good luck

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

• 1 year later...

Thank God for this forum. I'm a descent shade tree mechanic but I haven't had a car this new or complex ever. I started smelling a little bit of funk over the past month or two, :confused: wasn't sure what it was, checked the fluids, leaks etc. nothing. I was on the way home and started to smell something burning. When I stopped at a stop light in town I noticed wiffs of white smoke coming out of the hood scoop. :eek: Pulled over and there was white smoke coming out of the turbo area. After I changed my shorts I checked all the fluids: oil is a only slightly low, coolant reservoir is empty. I bought the car with 23K, (43K now), came with a divorced waste-gate DP. I added Cobb AP. I don't dog it very often, probably never past 90% of its capability on rare occasion. At least now I have some information allowing me to ask some focused questions when I take it in to Prestige Sub tomorrow. Thanks for posting. :dm:

Asheville

Here in Australia we've had a recall on these turbo 2.5s. Oil line to turbo can crack.

Mine went in last week for precautionary check - all ok - so they've put on a small bracket (part of the recall) to strengthen oil line.

I'd be surprised if you guys hadn't had the same recall.

Well I noticed some chunks of grease on my dp while I was investigating the smoke. Took the car in and was told the cv boot was bad, then told entire cv joint was bad, slinging grease up on the exhaust. I too was told the coolant res can be empty sometimes when hot. Turns out the cv is covered under the warranty still so all I have to pay for are belts, coolant flush, and brake flush. btw, the cv joint was not clicking or giving any signs of it being broken.

Well I noticed some chunks of grease on my dp while I was investigating the smoke. Took the car in and was told the cv boot was bad, then told entire cv joint was bad, slinging grease up on the exhaust. I too was told the coolant res can be empty sometimes when hot. Turns out the cv is covered under the warranty still so all I have to pay for are belts, coolant flush, and brake flush. btw, the cv joint was not clicking or giving any signs of it being broken.

As long as it was under warranty that shouldn't be a big issue for you, but if not then there may be time to worry about a rip-off.

453747.png

Is that covered under powertrain warranty? Im currently out of my factory 3/36000.

Archived