LegacyGT.com

Turbo Engine care...

mbcracken

Did anyone else read the article on Caring for Turbo engines in this months Drive Magazine from Subaru? There is now a "Driving Tip" to "cool" the turbo by idling for 30 seconds after highway driving or heavy engine loads. This 30 seconds cool down period is listed no where in the manual. Does anyone here idle there car for 30 seconds?

There is also the new recommendation to change the oil & oil filter before AND after an autocross or track day. How many folks here change their oil per these recommendations?

I know that oil (including the filter) is crucial for the care & longevity of turbo'd engines and I have been changing my oil every 3500 with my favorite oil & OEM filter. I do find these new driving tips and recommendation interesting because the last time an article like this was released the turbo'd engine OIC was reduced from 5000 miles to 3750 miles. So, is this another Subaru change in policy?

Cheers,

Mike

It's not a bad idea to let the turbo cool down but modern turbos aren't as sensitive as the early turbos.

What can happen is that if the engine is turned off with a hot turbo is that the heat can get so high that the oil boils and leaves a coke residue in the bearings and since the engine is off there is no oil circulation through the turbo. So when you know that you have had a heavy load on the engine it's not wrong to let it idle for a while.

453747.png

Archived