LegacyGT.com

Hybrid motor help. Cam sensors

EJ257/EJ205 build. Basically I got it because I needed a replacement engine asap, now im at the last and final part before I drop my engine in. The 205 heads have 1 cam sensor on the driver side in the front, our cars have 2 on the rear of the heads, and the cam plugs and cam sensors are different. What am i to do? get a wrx cam sensor wire and replace my current ones? its the only thing i can think of to do.

Hmmmm... Sounds like a frankenbuild...

The EJ257 is the STi engine, but the EJ205 engine is from what I know only in older WRX Imprezas, and you need to describe in detail what you have done and not before we can help you further. The Legacy GT in the US has the EJ255 originally, so if it had an EJ257 then someone before you have made a swap.

453747.png

The difference between an EJ255 and 257 is basicly the heads. No difference in the bottom end your year car vs an STi.

Your ECU is going to need to see two cam sensor inputs. Those 205 heads have ACVS? Your going to need to do some fancy ECU tuning to turn of a bunch of crap, you might even need to do a harness/ECU swap to be honest. I'm sure someone here has done this and will chime in.

Good luck with the project.

ill try to explain more. The original engine in my legacy (255) went to hell. So i got rid of it and bought a hybrid built motor which was a built 257 block with 205 (02-04 wrx non avcs) heads (ported and matched and all that).

The hybrid engine is on an engine stand, As i was putting on all the parts, hoses, connecting everything, intake manifold and wiring harness, the very last issue came up. Cam sensors. 05+ legacys have 2 cam sensors on the rear of each head, the 205 cam sensor (only 1) is in the front on the driver side (where the 255 avcs sensor is). The cam sensors and plugs on the legacy are different from the sensor/plug on the wrx. Many 04+ sti's that have hybrid engines, (theres alot) seems like theyd be in the same position I'm in now but i couldnt find any help.

My question is: what am i going to need to do about the cam sensor issue? Get a wrx cam sensor wire? If i need to get a new wiring harness/ecu does anybody know what kind? Is it possible to just turn off the cam sensors when i get my ecu flash or tune (doesnt seem like a good idea though)? I'm willing to try anything.

haha your screwed !

get a ecm from a 2.5i and switch the nessasary wires around in the main connector, or change your heads !!!

you can't turn off the cam sensors i tried, if you disable the code for the driver side sensor the car won't start, if you figure out a way tell me PLEASE

the ej255 cam signal is 3 pulse per revolution , and the ej205 is 1 pulse so you can't jsut connect it.

you can however make the car run with out the sensors but its not going to be happy you need to crank over your engine for 6 seconds at least before it will fire up. your sequential fuel and ignition systems won't be sequential anymore.

as i said earlyier is to get 2.5i ecm that uses the same sensor as the ej205 and wireing harness, or change the heads . or go stand alone ecu

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

haha your screwed !

get a ecm from a 2.5i and switch the nessasary wires around in the main connector, or change your heads !!!

you can't turn off the cam sensors i tried, if you disable the code for the driver side sensor the car won't start, if you figure out a way tell me PLEASE

the ej255 cam signal is 3 pulse per revolution , and the ej205 is 1 pulse so you can't jsut connect it.

you can however make the car run with out the sensors but its not going to be happy you need to crank over your engine for 6 seconds at least before it will fire up. your sequential fuel and ignition systems won't be sequential anymore.

as i said earlyier is to get 2.5i ecm that uses the same sensor as the ej205 and wireing harness, or change the heads . or go stand alone ecu

Rofl, i knew i was screwed. Thanks for the help, i'll probably go with the 2.5i ecm, seems like the best solution. have you been in the same position I'm in now? If I do decide to drive without the cam sensors how long would be too long?

Archived