LegacyGT.com

2.5i - dangerously slow?

I hate to add to the continuous bashing I see on these forums about the 2.5i, but I'm starting to believe this car is seriously underpowered to the point of being dangerous.

To begin - I take a freeway onramp every day, it's not the most well designed onramp. A sharp right turn (10-15mph) and then merge with 50-60mph traffic in about 50ft of run-up.(these are cars that are also merging on the freeway, it's sort of a double-onramp) - freeway is about 150-200ft from where I turn, and traffic is 70-75mph.

So this is what I do everyday: turn the corner at 10mph, stomp the gas to the floor and wait... wait... wait... almost get rear-ended by oncoming cars, then a couple seconds later my car moves... only to run out of 1st gear and plop into 2nd, and more waiting.

I will admit 2nd-3rd gear will get me to freeway speeds reasonably, but the 10-50mph acceleration in 1st-2nd is inadequate, and I am almost certain that I will one day get rear-ended because of it (and yes, I do make sure there is "enough" of a gap before merging - unfortunately in this situation the gaps aren't going to get any bigger than they already are)

I did not get a chance to fully test this car on the freeway before I bought it, had I known about this problem I wouldn't have bought it. Car in question here is a 2009 2.5i with 4 speed auto. (I would have gotten the manual but they were unavailable)

I'm not sure if everyone here experiences the same thing, but I rarely am able to drive without giving it 100% gas. Anytime I'm merging into traffic, turning out of a side street, or passing on the freeway, there's no need to modulate the accelerator - just mash it to the floor and wait for nothing to happen.

I hope this helps anyone who is researching into the 2.5i - don't make the same mistake I did. If it's 2.5i mated to the 4 speed auto, don't even consider it. I have not driven the stick shift version before, but I would assume it is somewhat better.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you wanted something fast you should have purchased a car with 6 cylinders or more. Don't expect a non-turbo 4 cylinder to go from 0-60 under 5 secs. The 2.5i was not made for speed but for economy and cost, this is why they have the turbo or 6 options. Next time, test drive before buying.

My 2.5i is pretty snappy for what it is. Also I think that smashing the accelerator is not in your best interest. The car is drive-by-wire, and the smashing may actually not be as responsive.

I have never had any problems getting to highway speeds at on ramps or anywhere else. Maybe there is something wrong with your car. The 2.5i should be enough to get you out of any problem. is not like it's a 1.5 honda engine with no torque.

X

---

My 2.5i is pretty snappy for what it is. Also I think that smashing the accelerator is not in your best interest. The car is drive-by-wire, and the smashing may actually not be as responsive.

I have never had any problems getting to highway speeds at on ramps or anywhere else. Maybe there is something wrong with your car. The 2.5i should be enough to get you out of any problem. is not like it's a 1.5 honda engine with no torque.

X

:whore:never had any problems with my car acceleration

I wouldn't think it'd be dangerously slow.. There are plenty of slower cars on the road. Still it's a mid sized sedan with not only the least powerful engine, but also the slowest possible transmission choice and awd. I'm not sure how it could be described as anything near snappy but it should be sufficient for any daily driving circumstances.

Most of what you describe as slow seems relative to the transmission and it slow shifting. Imo, the auto in the Subaru is terrible. I had an 07 LGT with a 5EAT for about 2 weeks and thought it was quite slow. Traded up to an 08 spec b with the same engine but a manual transmission and I was considerably happier.

really? slow? I'd say more driver error if you are nearly getting rear ended merging onto the highway. you aren't driving a fast car, stop acting like it is.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

If its really slow then so are over 75% of the cars on the highway. Example

08 Accord Sedan 177hp 162tq -3289lbs hp per lb:18.5

08 Camry Sedan 169hp 167tq -3263lbs hp per lb:19.3

08 Altima Sedan 175hp 190tq -3334 hp per lb:19.05

08 Legacy Sedan 170hp 170tq -3275 hp per lb:19.26

08 Expedition SUV 310hp 350tq -5928 hp per lb: 19.12

08 Focus Sedan 140hp 140tq -2642lbs hp per lb: 18.87

08 BMW 328i 230hp 200tq -3424 hp per lb:14.88

08 Legacy GT Sedan 250hp 250tq 3340 hp per lb:13.36

08 S40 Sedan 2.4i 169hp 170tq 3220lbs hp per lb:19.01

08 Dodge Charger 178hp 190tq 4160lbs hp per lb: 23.37

08 Malibu Sedan 169 160tq 3403lbs hp per lb: 20.13

05 Bmw 325i Sedan 184hp 175tq 3362lbs hp per lb: 18.27

02 Jagaur S type 240hp 221tq 3723lbs hp per lb:15.25

06 Aveo sedan 108hp 105tq 2300lbs hp per lb:21.26

02 Expedition 232hp 291tq 5827lbs hp per lb:25.11

02 Chevy Suburban 285hp 325tq 5607lbs hp per lb:19.67

All these are pretty common cars some faster, some slower, some about the same and I dont see any one having issues with camry or accord because its to slow. If these cars where unsafely slow then why are there A. Slower cars and B why is the 2 best selling cars in the US have about the same power and may even be slower? Your in an AWD Legacy that handles well stock,go faster on the corner, thats one thing a camry and accord cant do.

Dare I say this yet again 4EAT FTL EVERYTIME!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Other than that our cars aren't slow for the class they compete in and the Honda's and Toyota's have a better auto trans and no AWD. If your car was a 5MT you wouldn't have these issues not that they are issues, you should think of this the other way:

You are driving normally the shit asses ridding your bumper are not :eek: sorry mods but it is true ;)

No such thing as dangerously slow cars, just dangerous drivers :rolleyes:

true but i had a 90 hp geo tracker as my frist car, that and the old hyundai excel are pretty close to being dangerously slow.

to the OP the 2.5i is no rocket but it's far from being as slow as you make it sound. i've driven plenty of loaners with the 2.5 and never had a problem taking off in them. maybe you should have your car checked out, perhaps somethings not right.

I don't think my 2.5i is that slow...especially when I wind it out to 6,500 rpm every time I take off. Hey anybody have any suggestions on how I can get my average mpg above 15?

Try not revving it to 6500 for normal driving. And if you are in the city ( stop/go driving) it will be hard to get the Avg MPG high.

besides your driving habits ahev you changed your fuel and air filters?

if you wanted fast you should have bought a Leggy GT or spec-b. I went from an 04 STi modded to an 08 I Legacy. I think the car is just right. it is not a speed demon by any means, and the car is great in the corners it it setup right. Also try stomping it to the ground while turning the corner, instead of turning and then hitting the car. ahahhaha if tires are good then the AWD should pull you should you through. LOL all in all the I is a great car.

there are on ramps like that everywhere...... I see 94' mini vans blowing black smoke that use them every day without getting rear ended. My fathers 96' 4 cylinder pick up set up for towing has no pick up whatsoever.... and he manages to not get hit pulling out on the on ramp. Your car is no where near slow by todays standards. and...........

You should spend less time on stats like this and more time recording your roommate making pooky pooky

+1 bwahahaha

Every car in front of me is dangerously slow then =(

But yeah, learning how to manipulate the throttle can benefit you. My last car was auto and had a similar slow 4 cylinder engine rated at 140HP! Much slower than the 2.5i. I found if I always had the throttle at 100% it would actually go slower than if I eased into the throttle and actually modulated it. And with the cornering of these Legacy's, you shouldn't have to slow down as much as most other cars around the corners too. I always catch people in the corners, even if their car is faster than mine.

true but i had a 90 hp geo tracker as my frist car, that and the old hyundai excel are pretty close to being dangerously slow.

to the OP the 2.5i is no rocket but it's far from being as slow as you make it sound. i've driven plenty of loaners with the 2.5 and never had a problem taking off in them. maybe you should have your car checked out, perhaps somethings not right.

If you have a car that only goes 30 mph and takes 10 seconds to get there, but then take it on the highway, who's fault is it if you get into an accident ?

The cars or yours ?

Every car in front of me is dangerously slow then =(

But yeah, learning how to manipulate the throttle can benefit you. My last car was auto and had a similar slow 4 cylinder engine rated at 140HP! Much slower than the 2.5i. I found if I always had the throttle at 100% it would actually go slower than if I eased into the throttle and actually modulated it. And with the cornering of these Legacy's, you shouldn't have to slow down as much as most other cars around the corners too. I always catch people in the corners, even if their car is faster than mine.

+1 :yeahthat:

In my experience, with the Subaru 4EAT and others, flooring the accelerator will cause the car to hesitate and then take a few seconds to recover. Ease onto the throttle, feel the torque rising, and then ride the wave! :cool:

if you wanted fast you should have bought a Leggy GT or spec-b. I went from an 04 STi modded to an 08 I Legacy. I think the car is just right. it is not a speed demon by any means, and the car is great in the corners it it setup right. Also try stomping it to the ground while turning the corner, instead of turning and then hitting the car. ahahhaha if tires are good then the AWD should pull you should you through. LOL all in all the I is a great car.

Dude why did you do that ? cheaper ? wrecked? or worse wife? :lol:

Archived