LegacyGT.com

Headlight uprgrades

Hey everyone. I had a headlight out, low beam. I went out and replaced it, not the easiest thing to do. But I want to upgrade to a brighter systm as I do a lot of night driving. I was wondering what everyone recommends

As above, Osram Rallye and 9011 for high beam (search for "9005 to 9011")

Then save up for a retrofit, HID 'black series' projectors should bolt straight on, or go bi-xenon route with something like Morimoto D2S 4 projectors (plus Philips/Osram bulbs and DLT Fast Bright or Denso ballasts).

Be aware that the reflectors and lenses are designed for a certain type of lamp so installing a HID lamp may not give a good projection if you are unlucky.

Check the light pattern before you change, low beams at a non-reflective wall at about 10 meters (30 feet) and use a camera to take a picture of the pattern before. This way you will be sure that you get the correct pattern.

453747.png

How hard is it to do the hid and retro fits? Does it involve removing the headlight housing and spliting it open?

Not too hard and yes you need to bake and open them.

Basically remove bumper, remove lights, bake open (200f for ~10min, have leather gloves on, pry apart, if it gets difficult put them back in for a few min and keep at it, Have a knife or scissors handy to just "stringers"), remove halogen Projector, install HID Projector, bake, reassemble, install lights, wire ballasts/ignitors & harness, Align (you need to remove the intake tube from the front of the car to the air box to do the passenger side with a long flat screwdriver) reinstall bumper, enjoy. Just did the TRS Quick-Retro, other than TRS not shipping the harness you need to trigger the relays from eh factory harness it was easy. But I have also done this one other time. Skip the high beam splitters, your high beams are good enough.

Strange, the pair I bought last summer-ish didn't have that marking on there. Well, that, or it was marked on the other side of the flange and I was too dumb to look. Either way, it's easy to shave it to size free-hand if you have a small file.

Not too hard and yes you need to bake and open them.

Basically remove bumper, remove lights, bake open (200f for ~10min, have leather gloves on, pry apart, if it gets difficult put them back in for a few min and keep at it, Have a knife or scissors handy to just "stringers"), remove halogen Projector, install HID Projector, bake, reassemble, install lights, wire ballasts/ignitors & harness, Align (you need to remove the intake tube from the front of the car to the air box to do the passenger side with a long flat screwdriver) reinstall bumper, enjoy. Just did the TRS Quick-Retro, other than TRS not shipping the harness you need to trigger the relays from eh factory harness it was easy. But I have also done this one other time. Skip the high beam splitters, your high beams are good enough.

I suggest before sealing them up, to put them back on the car and check the alignment. But other than that, that's the usual plan :yeahthat:

If you can't have your car off the road for a day, grab a spare pair of headlights and crack them open. Remember to remove as much as you can before baking, and be careful not to melt the rear plastic.

Hi Everyone, I just purchased a 2013 3.6R and I am picking her up on Saturday. I am curious about upgrading the headlights as well. Where I live, there are only few street lights and really dark back roads, so good lighting is a must.

My '13 Q50s uses factory LED Projector headlights and fogs. My wife's SUV uses HID factory projector. The difference is amazing. The LED throws more light and has as tighter pattern without the blinding or washout effect. The HID struggles to compare, I barely use high beams in the Q50, but I need them always in the SUV.

That said, I really want to swap the halogen bulbs out in the Legacy for LED setup. Has anyone done this before? I have been searching the forum, but no one has said anything directly about doing this type of swap. Most seem to go HID... Im not opposed to HID as I have done plenty of conversions on other cars, just seems that LEDs are more efficient and provide better lighting.

Thoughts..

There is a massive difference between OEM LED setups and ebay plug and play crap.

You can try to retrofit Koito LED projector setup (e.g. from Corolla) into your Outback.

Curious, what is your wife's SUV?

My 2010 wagon has OEM HIDs and I've never had issues with visibility (after changing the burnt bowl and clearing up the outer plastic lenses, but that's a different story).

Hi Everyone, I just purchased a 2013 3.6R and I am picking her up on Saturday. I am curious about upgrading the headlights as well. Where I live, there are only few street lights and really dark back roads, so good lighting is a must.

My '13 Q50s uses factory LED Projector headlights and fogs. My wife's SUV uses HID factory projector. The difference is amazing. The LED throws more light and has as tighter pattern without the blinding or washout effect. The HID struggles to compare, I barely use high beams in the Q50, but I need them always in the SUV.

That said, I really want to swap the halogen bulbs out in the Legacy for LED setup. Has anyone done this before? I have been searching the forum, but no one has said anything directly about doing this type of swap. Most seem to go HID... Im not opposed to HID as I have done plenty of conversions on other cars, just seems that LEDs are more efficient and provide better lighting.

Thoughts..

Currents kits for HIDs are cheaper and easier but LED is the future.

I got the retrofit source installed on my 2011 3.6R, took a few hours. I had a shop do it but you can at home.

Here is the brightness

1e016d6c36f3826590e1109a9825d225.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

There is a massive difference between OEM LED setups and ebay plug and play crap.

You can try to retrofit Koito LED projector setup (e.g. from Corolla) into your Outback.

Curious, what is your wife's SUV?

My 2010 wagon has OEM HIDs and I've never had issues with visibility (after changing the burnt bowl and clearing up the outer plastic lenses, but that's a different story).

She has a 2014 Infiniti QX60. I installed LEDs in the fogs and it has factory HID in the headlights.

Retrofitting HID projectors into your headlights is heaps easy. Throw in some "Black series" projectors or Morimoto mini D2S 4. Will piss all over putting H7 HID kit in your halogen projectors. LEDs will be even worse.

Awesome man..

Ok, Im sold on the Morimoto retro kit. Now has anyone done this retro kit on these lights?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-Subaru-Outback-Legacy-Shark-CCFL-Tube-Black-Projector-Headlights-/191817696086?hash=item2ca939c356:g:50EAAOSwWTRW1vMu&vxp=mtr

I like the look of these... curious about people's experiences with them. I know some aftermarket lights can be crappy, but these look to be decent quality...

Thanks

Retrofitting HID projectors into your headlights is heaps easy. Throw in some "Black series" projectors or Morimoto mini D2S 4. Will piss all over putting H7 HID kit in your halogen projectors. LEDs will be even worse.

Link to the scientific data please.

Awesome man..

Ok, Im sold on the Morimoto retro kit. Now has anyone done this retro kit on these lights?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-Subaru-Outback-Legacy-Shark-CCFL-Tube-Black-Projector-Headlights-/191817696086?hash=item2ca939c356:g:50EAAOSwWTRW1vMu&vxp=mtr

I like the look of these... curious about people's experiences with them. I know some aftermarket lights can be crappy, but these look to be decent quality...

Thanks

Probably no because the kit is made for OE lamp assemblies and have an adapter for them. I take this point of view, I want performance light output, not a performance looking light.

Link to the scientific data please.

Plenty out there if you look :)

e.g.

Other keywords you can use:

Daniel Stern lighting

foreground lighting

distance lighting

But hey, they're your eyes, and the eyes of your fellow drivers sharing the roads you drive.

Here's a question: If eBay ads are making all these wonderful claims, and people are driving around with all sorts of kits on, why aren't car manufacturers replacing halogens with LED bulbs? Why are they spending money on developing fancy LED headlights and paying for expensive HID projectors?

I actually contacted the guys from Lightwerks after seeing their videos and already having the Morimoto LED H7 kit on the way and he stated that they're the best LED bulbs he's seen so far. He stated that those were an older ones in the video? The new ones seem a bit more promising. I'll definitely do a before and after for everyone to see.

http://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/daytime-lighting-morimoto-h7-2stroke-led-headlight-bulbs.html

http://www.lightwerkz.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x/5da4beeb0f1bc134036f79eb645f20a1/m/o/morimoto_2stroke_h7_led_headlight_bulbs_action_4.jpg

The cutoff and hotspot don't look too bad for LED. He did say that HID's with proper projectors are still the best option but if you're just looking for easy LED's, the Morimoto 2Stroke are the best choice.

Keep in mind that LEDs absolutely have to be positioned so the emitters are at 3 and 9 o'clock or they'll suck because of mirror placement inside. In my experience, HIDs work much better in the OEM projectors.

fedaykin. Regarding projectors, we've had this conversation 15 times. Once again... USDM projectors are different than JDM/AUDM projectors. We have different lights entirely and the design of the cutoff is completely different. The USDM projectors work fine with HIDs with, while not the BEST, still a perfectly fine cutoff.

Plenty out there if you look :)

e.g.

Other keywords you can use:

Daniel Stern lighting

foreground lighting

distance lighting

But hey, they're your eyes, and the eyes of your fellow drivers sharing the roads you drive.

Here's a question: If eBay ads are making all these wonderful claims, and people are driving around with all sorts of kits on, why aren't car manufacturers replacing halogens with LED bulbs? Why are they spending money on developing fancy LED headlights and paying for expensive HID projectors?

LOL thanks for posting the obvious.

Now to my question.

You said retrofitted projectors would piss on the drop in kits for our projectors.

Link please.

Archived