LegacyGT.com

2007 LGT Wagon vs Spec B?

jussi

Hi,

Pros and cons for these babies? Anythign specific?

What do you guys think of the quality of Subrus? I am trying to make up my mind between these and a 2007 Passat, however Passat's quality makes me worried..

Jussi

Pretty Valid points made on this thread. Subaru build quality is pretty good, I think the newer legacies fit and finish are better than my 00 which tended to be more refined than even the 99's.

From the outside you are comparing an apple to a pear (would say oranges but you are still in the same family, subie v subie)

A few simple questions to help you narrow it down,

1) do you want manual or Automatic?

2) do you tend to haul a lot of things? (i.e. make use of wagon)

3) do you plan to modify the car in anyway?

The answers to these will help you decide, as stated above, wagons are auto only, spec B are manual only. SpecB's are also sedan only, so if there is a need for a wagon it is out. The SpecB's are very well equipped and great cars, however if you plan to modify the suspension bits and performance, it might behoove you to get the LGT, more value by starting at a lower price, and then you are only missing one gear and cool seats. (well and nav if it isnt optioned)

rant: before you spend $30k+ on a subaru, keep this in mind. 'top-of-the-line' specb comes with a nav system.

nav unit supports voice guidance (i consider it a safety feature), but the microphone($65) is not even offered as an option by SOA.

same goes for the backup camera(not sure about price - $200 maybe?) - another safety feature. The car however is equipped with TPMS -

after every tire rotation, or summer-winter tire+wheel swap monitor needs to be reset through the dealer;

now that i am about to do my own tire rotation, i will have to put up with the blinking light or pay the dealer whatever they want

to charge me, for 5 mins of labor, to reset the monitor. TPMS cannot be disabled :). Car is great - F*** SOA!

BTW, i will post this in every thread in the pre-purchase section, i think it applies to, until i get banned from the site.

In the meantime, F*** SOA.

I went from a 98 Passat to my 06 GT wagon. To me the Subaru feel is better than VW. I liked my Passat until I got to about 70k miles then all 8 control arms needed to be replaced, ABS control module went out, CV joints twice, turbo rebuild twice, 2 ignition control modules,and other random things that didn't throw a code but made the car run bad. I sold the car when it was having a no code but run like crap sometimes problems. I sold it to CarMax just to get rid of it.

VWs seem to have strange electrical problems. If you need more info on the Passat go to passatworld.com.

If you can find a wagon I'd hop on it personally...you won't find many if any much longer

I came from a Sedan to a Wagon and love the extra space...

If your leaning towards the SpecB I'd wait for an 08 the telescoping wheel is worth it alone IMHO

But you can't go wrong with either choice. Yes they like any brand of cars have there little thing that drive us nuts like tire pressure system or no memory seats but they are great cars that are safe as any car 2x the cash, they do hold their value decently, and you don't see one every 3rd car which I like... Someday Subaru of America will get over their ego and just produce replica's of the Japenese version...then we'll have new things to complain about :)

Archived