LegacyGT.com

2008 legacy gt 5 speed. Sounds like a roots supercharger when accelerating?

Just picked up a 2008 legacy gt 5 speed yesterday.

Today I noticed when accelerating it sounds almost like a roots or twin screw supercharger. Has a pretty loud whine sound.

As soon as I let off the gas it goes away completely. Seems to be only under boost. Pulls nice though. Doesn't feel down on power but first one I've driven.

Sounds basically like the reverse sound but when driving forward.

Turbo on the way out? Leak?

Sound clip added

Thanks!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/ryangreene555/S2000%20pictures/BF20E076-FEE4-4E17-A8EF-3B59606B75B0-20931-00000880A6A349F0.mp4

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/ryangreene555/S2000%20pictures/BF20E076-FEE4-4E17-A8EF-3B59606B75B0-20931-00000880A6A349F0.mp4

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

My 2005 GT sounds like that. I thought it was normal for these?? Roots style blower is a good description of the sound. I really don't think it's related to the turbo. Sounds more like gears whining.

If you have a warranty, definitely follow the advice I gave in your other thread ASAP. This could definitely be related to the turbo, and a turbo/short block failure is common when ignored, and will cost you anywhere from $4,000-$7,000 to fix all said and done (depending on the severity and "options" during repair).

Ask me how I know.

Whine is in no way shape or form normal. Especially in the 05 if you are still on the stock VF40 turbo with a banjo bolt that may have never been cleaned. The 08 has a VF46 and little different design but are still prone to failures. Get it checked before it turns into a thread about your rebuild.

From reading more sounds just like the transmission whine most people have that claim it is normal. That's a relief! Listened to a lot of videos online and all sound identical.

I'm still going to bring it to Subaru for a full inspection before the warranty ends to be safe though.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

yea the whine you describe reminds me of the transmission whine, which for some people has lead to bearing failure in the transmission. I have it but only in second gear and it is not overly loud. I know it needs to be replaced so i am saving for a 6mt

The LGT turbo definitely has that supercharger sound, not the whoosh sound or jet engine spool sound. I think the OP is talking about this sound, which sounds more like a twin screw.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVGGkBJJYyo]2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT 0-60 acceleration - YouTube[/ame]

• 1 year later...

my transmission has whined from the day I bought the car with 92XXX miles on it.

It now has 128XXX miles on it, and it doesn't do it any more or less than it ever did, that's through road trips, track events, autocross, a few drag pulls, daily driving, etc.

It's loudest in 2nd, followed by 1st, then 3rd, and I don't hear it in 4th or 5th.

I could suck start a snow blower.

Normal. My 06 did it since I bought it stock with 73k on the odometer. It's just the tranny whining. Does it in the lower gears mainly, I hardly notice it in 3rd and not at all in 4th or 5th.

I don't know what Serb legacy gt is talking about the turbo on legacys sounding like a supercharger whine, but I've never heard that from any turbo charger. It's always a whistle or a whoosh of air.

Normal. My 06 did it since I bought it stock with 73k on the odometer. It's just the tranny whining. Does it in the lower gears mainly, I hardly notice it in 3rd and not at all in 4th or 5th.

I don't know what Serb legacy gt is talking about the turbo on legacys sounding like a supercharger whine, but I've never heard that from any turbo charger. It's always a whistle or a whoosh of air.

My new 06 to me is like this, at 150kmi. It is the ONLY thing I hear in the car, in 1st, 2nd. I need to go test it and see how much 2nd and 3rd is louder than 1st. I do not hear it, or register a problem in 4th and 5th. The car drives well, and shifts well.

The more I read about the center diff bearings being a problem, the more I'm convinced that's my problem, though a lot of those guys complain about a whine in 4th and 5th, which I don't have.

Archived