LegacyGT.com

Why no turbo H6 for Subaru?

It seems like the logical next step to a totally awesome powerplant. They already turbocharged the 4-cylinder, why not the 6 too? Even the new Ford Taurus SHO is going to be a twin turbo 6, making something like 340 HP :eek:. WTF? What's holding Subaru back?

It seems like the logical next step to a totally awesome powerplant. They already turbocharged the 4-cylinder, why not the 6 too? Even the new Ford Taurus SHO is going to be a twin turbo 6, making something like 340 HP :eek:. WTF? What's holding Subaru back?

The ford has 365 and it's still sluggish. Remember it tips the scale at OVER 4,000 lbs. It's also more than just a number. It's about efficient delivery of power.

I would think it just wouldn't be economical? Not enough people REALLY need 340HP for a 4-door daily driven sedan

Think of how many companies now offer 300+ HP sedans. Infinit, BMW, Benz, Ford, Audi, Lincoln, Lexus... everyone?

My mother just picked up her G37 sedan a few days ago. That thing is a fantastic car! If it was available with a manual transmission with AWD that's what I'd be in.

The Legacy's 243/265(2010) isn't enough to be taken seriously competing with the top dogs. Even if Subaru did make a Legacy STI here, would it sell? The market demand from Subaru isn't performance sedans. It's practical and well rounded vehicles. People who really want a sport sedan will turn elsewhere.

no one needs 340hp...hell, we don't even need the 250 stock

that doesn't mean we don't crave it...a factory turbo h6 would be pretty sweet

http://mag.subiesport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=69

Actually... I totally need that kind of power! I just need better gas mileage too...

plus, I'd love to see them rebuild the SVX with a turbo 3.0 H6 under the hood. and as a higher performance option, they could build it also with a turbo 3.6 H6 too. But that would have to be a pretty big car at that point, and it might only sell in power hungry America... or it could compete worldwide with the Nissan Skyline in that format... either way, I would be unable to pay the insurance just to drive the car.

The ford is hardly sluggish... go drive one.. the boost response makes even a 2.0 turbo VW motor feel sluggish, let alone our laggy ass vf-40

To me, that's sluggish considering I just test drove the G37 with my mother and fell in love with it. It falls short in every respect. Our Legacy GTs will take a Taurus no problem.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuri5zIqbTw]YouTube - SHO-time? Ford Taurus SHO vs. 2009 Infiniti G37 @ the Track[/ame]

I was just wondering this same thing myself the other day. A Legacy with a turbo H6 would be pretty awesome. Of course no one needs over 300 horsepower in a sedan, but it is a lot of fun!

Maybe the reason we haven't seen a turbo'd H6 from Subaru is because the 6 wasn't designed to handle forced induction? I don't know much about Subaru's engines, I would think the H6 is basically a very similar design to the H4 but with extra cylinders so if that were the case then it would be odd that the 6 couldn't handle a turbo. :iam:

Edmunds? Thats your information point? Go look at some owners on the drag strip, SHO's are pulling 5.1 and under all over the place. I was blown away by how great the response was, not up to my stage 2 LGT MT, but it was quite a showing for a 4000 lb beast.

not if it is an sti 6 speed/drivetrain

I suspect that even then it would be a tad weak. The STi has a 2.5 liter and a 3.6 liter and added turbo would pack out a lot more torque (40%) just on pure cylinder volume.

So the whole drivetrain from wheelbearings, driveshaft joints, differential, gearbox and clutch would need to take at least 40% more beating than with the STi. Add to that the fact that it would increase weight on a car that's already heavier than the STi.

And there would be a need for better brakes too because the car is heavier and of course tires. In all it would be a different car. This if it's expected to be as reliable as the turbocharged 2.5.

But if you can stand that it may break down more often than the 2.5 then it may be an option for you.

453747.png

Archived