LegacyGT.com

Brake Pad Return spring...

inthedeck

Just curious if anyone that has Bobcats has this part installed on their front brakes? If anyone has a picture of their 'stock' brakes, would you please post it up, as I am trying to figure out if this part is a 'necessity' and also what it looks like?

I have been having some serious noise issues, with the bobcats, and the last time I fixed it, they were quiet for a good two months. Now, after some serious rain in NY (over the past couple of weeks prior to this past week), the noise is back again. It's driving me a little crazy, and I have to figure out if the pad return spring is an integral piece to this puzzle.

Thanks in advance...and any other tips that might be useful to getting rid of this noise would be helpful. I currently don't have the stock shims/backing plates on the pads...but trust me, that only made the noise worse. I will try to have the rotors cut/resurfaced, sometime soon...which may/may not help.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Edit: For reference, I have attached the pdf and on page 2, they speak of this return spring...

02 - Front Brake Pad.pdf

02 - Front Brake Pad.pdf

Just curious if anyone that has Bobcats has this part installed on their front brakes? If anyone has a picture of their 'stock' brakes, would you please post it up, as I am trying to figure out if this part is a 'necessity' and also what it looks like?

I have been having some serious noise issues, with the bobcats, and the last time I fixed it, they were quiet for a good two months. Now, after some serious rain in NY (over the past couple of weeks prior to this past week), the noise is back again. It's driving me a little crazy, and I have to figure out if the pad return spring is an integral piece to this puzzle.

Thanks in advance...and any other tips that might be useful to getting rid of this noise would be helpful. I currently don't have the stock shims/backing plates on the pads...but trust me, that only made the noise worse. I will try to have the rotors cut/resurfaced, sometime soon...which may/may not help.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Edit: For reference, I have attached the pdf and on page 2, they speak of this return spring...

first off, what part are you even looking at?? I dont recall a pad return spring anywhere (unless you are talking about the two metal clip ends of the brake pads on the caliper, that's the retaining clip for the pads). It's possible that those are rubbing up on your rotors, check for scoring on your rotors for those, and yes, you do need them to keep the pads from bad uneven dragging wear.

second, it's common for the rain to probably wash off your anti-squeal lube.

third, it's probably cold up in NY with the rain, it's going to make it noisy too when you get higher performance brake pads when they are cold. Even I get the occasional squeal with stock pads (because I didn't put the anti-squeal lube nor the shims on my pads).

fourth, the shims/backing plates are for noise suppression with the aid of the anti-squeal lube. You should have them on if you want to keep it quiet.

Keefe

Only the factory pads come with those springs. They are mounted to the backing plate, and then put tension onto the pad carrier. This helps to keep the pad off of the rotor when you are not on the brakes.

Like melayout said, if you didn't have it for sometime, and now it's back, it wasn't due to the missing return spring. Check your brakes for dust build up, as the Bobcats are a ceramic based pad, and they are known for being noisy! I only had mine on for like 2wks, and they made a squeaking type noise when not braking, so that it was constant, and driving me up the wall. Granted they were the Brembo size, but the compound's the same, and hence the outcome.

I have heard that sometimes, cutting the rotor to remove incompatible material, helps? These pads are soft in that they cannot wear away other pad material deposits easily. I think that is why Carbotech asks to start with a fresh rotor, or a resurfaced one.

Hope you get it sorted out, as this is one of those really annoying things.

I have tried the bedding in process (when first installed). Since then, I removed the backing plates, and shims as well...since they seemed to be causing more noise than without them on (at least for a while).

As for the spring, I guess that once the stock pads came off, so did this spring. I guess I will have to have the rotors cut/resurfaced, this coming weekend, and then bed the pads in again. If this does not resolve it...well, I will figure out what to do then.

Thanks for the advice...all.

it maybe as simple as rebedding your brake pads. i had the same issues you had/have, i run the bobcats all around, the noise killed me, took off the shims & Backing plates, Cleaned & lubed everything up and rebedded the pads...works great. the minor squeal is back again, but i'll just hose off all the crap & dust and rebed the suckers, should be goot-2-go...
~Sucka-Duck~

Snodork...what kinda lube did you use? I got some high temp. silicone grease (as recommended by edmundu) cleaned everything with brake parts cleaner (including the retaining clips, the calipers themselves, and everything in between) and then put it all back together. This worked, for a while...then, after some serious rain in NY, I guess everything was washed away. I would prefer to have something more 'permanent' as I don't want to keep having to do this every 2 months...but if that is what it will take, well, then that's what I will have to do, I guess.

Anyway, let me know what kinda lube you used.

it was the .99 cent deal at the counter at autozone. i can get the specifics later tonight. but it had the consistency of thick vaseline...permanent, probably not. prior to all this the NOISE was driving me insane! i almost went back to the stock pads. but now, its fine, the little squeal only comes in stop and go traffic and slow slow stops at lights and very very light brake application (and that noise is very infrequent)...

but i'll get the info on the brake stuff tonight.

~Sucka-Duck~

Cool...thanks. I think I used that stuff, as well...it was the 'greenish' colored stuff that I picked up from Autozone (the first time). I know it didn't last long, so I picked up another brand (which smells like grease at Grand Central terminal (from the trains)) and it's black in color. The second stuff worked a little better...and lasted a little longer...but now the noise is back...so, I guess it's not rain proof. Oh well, I think I am going to have the rotors resurfaced/cut anyway...and then rebed the pads, after all is said and done.

Ive al;ways used the "orange goop" stuff. I think it's made by CRC.

Also remember that when you apply the "goop", that you let it sit and cure. At least with this stuff, it hardens some and is kind of tacky. If you dont let it dry/cure first, it gets real messy, smears, and gets all over the place making it ineffective.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Archived