LegacyGT.com

I know, I'm sorry, but....Which Head Gasket ??

I know it's a topic that people will say, "NOT AGAIN!!!!" "Do a search", I know, I did, I'm just looking for validation and clarity I guess.

I'm doing head gaskets on a '97 2.2. I read over and over to get the $35 Subaru head gaskets, so I did. I dropped the heads off at the shop for resurfacing today, and the guy asked if I had already gotten the MLS gaskets, because if I hadn't, he could sell me a set of Felpro's.

I have heard some talk about the MLS gaskets, and I assumed the Subaru gaskets would be MLS, but they are not. So I had thought that maybe the 2.2 was fine with the OEM Subaru gasket and the 2.5 worked better with the MLS gasket?:spin:

So does subaru sell a MLS gasket for that year 2.2? If so, why didn't I see that as an option when I ordered it?

I know the shop is a felpro rep, so I know he would say other gaskets are crap because he wants to sell felpro.

So did I get the wrong OEM Subaru head gaskets? Or am I just worried for nothing? BTW the Subaru part number is 11044AA114. I'm half temped to put a Subaru gasket on one side and a felpro on the other and just run a test!

The head work is the last piece of the puzzle, once those are back, I'm ready to start putting it back together! Once I feel right about this head gasket issue that is.

I'd run OEM. Felpro is good for a lot of things. But on cars that are kinda known for HG issues, especially subarus, I'd go OEM all day. I know that on the EJ25D subaru has a replacement gasket that fixes the original issue. They are pretty on top of upgrading the parts when necessary. I've seen lots of Felpro HGs fail on 2.5s, but I've had really good luck with the new OEM ones. I've done a few in my day ;)

OEM OEM OEM, I've read a lot of people having issues with the FelPro and have a friend that installed them and a year later HG leak. The OEM gaskets aren't expensive intact they're only $35 each, well that's with my discount.

Remember ANY headgasket will fail if the heads AND block surfaces aren't checked for trueness and machined when necessary with the correct RA finish. In most cases machining will need to be done due to the scrubbing effect that happens between the heads and block. Just make sure the machine shop can produce a RA value of at least 20-30. If any more than 30 the surface will be too course and can cause gasket failures. Most machine shops do have the necessary tooling to get a super smooth finish as a lot of engines require lower RA values now days.

OEM OEM OEM, I've read a lot of people having issues with the FelPro and have a friend that installed them and a year later HG leak. The OEM gaskets aren't expensive intact they're only $35 each, well that's with my discount.

Remember ANY headgasket will fail if the heads AND block surfaces aren't checked for trueness and machined when necessary with the correct RA finish. In most cases machining will need to be done due to the scrubbing effect that happens between the heads and block. Just make sure the machine shop can produce a RA value of at least 20-30. If any more than 30 the surface will be too course and can cause gasket failures. Most machine shops do have the necessary tooling to get a super smooth finish as a lot of engines require lower RA values now days.

I have the OEM Subaru head gaskets, which I did pay $35 for, and they are what I intend to use, but they are not MLS gaskets. So the question is does Subaru sell an MLS gasket? And if they do, why did they give me the standard looking graphite gasket? And are theses graphite gaskets the recommended ones for the 2.2?

I went to the dealer and asked for head gaskets and theses are war they gave me, I'm just wondering about the MLS gaskets.

Archived