LegacyGT.com

Warning: RANT - Anyone else's windsheild wipers SUCK?

kmfuse87

So my car ha under 10,000 miles on it. I keep it garaged and bought it in April of 2009. I was driving home tonight from VT and its not really snowing that hard, but the spray from the road forced me to use my wipers. THEY ARE TERRIBLE!!! I haven't used them all that much but still 8 to 9 months of use makes wipers useless? Really?

Am I the only one with this issue or are there other people out there that share my pain?

I felt the pain and upgraded to a super-duper wiper blade. That helped some. Also, try the RainX windshield cleaner (spray / wipe like windex). It really seems to help the crappy wipers by making the glass more water repellant.
My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

If you don't keep both the wipers and the windshield clean, 6 months or so is about their useful life. Start with using some glass cleaner on both the glass and rubber wiping edge of the blade. You'll be surprised at how much dirt comes off.

decided to go to pep boys to buy me some bosch Icons and stumbled apon some no name brand looking Icons. Tried them out so far so good. Will have to see if they hold up for a year like my first set of icons did.

Wipers are a warranty item, correct. But, they suck so badly it's worth it to buy an actual decent set.

I know you picky bastards don't like the Bosch Icons, but they have held up just fine for me. On my second winter with them.

Rain-X wipers (about $16 a set) doing quite well on mine for ~20k now. Starting to show a bit of degradation in wiping, but only a little. This happened after I accidentally hit the wiper switch when the windshield was iced over.

Joe

My wipers will wipe OK if the windsheild is wet, but if it isn't soaked they are really, REALLY, loud...does anyone else have that problem? its almost like they weren't meant to be aligned to my windshield they are so loud...

This may sound like a stupid question but humor me. I just replaced the wipers on my 2.5i and I noticed that for the rain x wipers that i got, they do not have that plastic extra bit on the drivers side......Does that extra plastic bit serve a purpose?

EDIT: I'm talking about the spoiler looking bit that is found on this wiper I found online.

http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/detail.jsp?ID=1046&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan+2.5I&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Base+Model

This may sound like a stupid question but humor me. I just replaced the wipers on my 2.5i and I noticed that for the rain x wipers that i got, they do not have that plastic extra bit on the drivers side......Does that extra plastic bit serve a purpose?

EDIT: I'm talking about the spoiler looking bit that is found on this wiper I found online.

http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/detail.jsp?ID=1046&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan+2.5I&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Base+Model

it keeps the wiper from lifting off the windshield at highway speeds

So i do need one with it.....looks like a return to autozone.

So do the most of you just replace that rubber part or the entire assembly?

You don't "need" it per say, it's just a feature. With that said, when I replaced my wipers with PIAA's, I chose the version that included the spoiler because I've driven cars in the past that have had issues with wipers bouncing around on the glass on the highway.

yes I had an old chevy (POS MACHINEEE) and it needed a spoiler on the high way, but it didnt have one... So my advice is if you have it, just keep it and slap it on. Worst thing would be if you returned it then ended up needing it.

Archived