LegacyGT.com

Time to say goodbye (long) and parts for sale

What a sad day. I really feel like I have lost a family member.

Had to trade in the LGT today. It was diagnosed with a bad fifth gear and we just replaced third and fifth 7 months ago. The first time around it was warranty. This time......... well.... not so lucky. (How do you wear out fifth gear anyway???? Too much time spent at 80 mph on the highway???)

The story really begins last October: I bought the car used with 37,XXX miles on it and subsequently inherited a laundry list of problems due to the previous owners neglect / abuse. The "restoration" project began shortly thereafter: (note: some issues are natural wear and tear and some are crappy Suby parts also)

- replace driver side fog light

- install new lid for washer fluid reservoir (mysteriously missing????)

- install new air filter

- install new third and fifth gears (third gear synchros were completely gone)

- install new Spec stage-one clutch (throw out bearing was squealing like a pig)

- install new OEM flywheel (wanted to get a complete "fresh start")

- install new idler pulley

- install new power window switch

- replace driver side wheel bearing

- install new DBA slotted rotors - front (originals were warped)

- install new OEM rotors - rear (originals were warped)

- install new brake pads all the way around

Other problems that were definitely on the horizon:

- car was consuming oil. Forget about using synthetic, and regular oil lasts only 3,000 mi before it is a 1/2 quart low. (all with only 67,XXX on the clock)

- whine coming from the tunnel in fifth gear at 80 mph

- a/c pulley is polluting "red dust" all over the engine compartment

- salt corrosion on anything and everything in the engine compartment (from the previous owners neglect. The car has not and probably never will see snow / salt here in Alabama)

Anyway, long story short......... there seemed to be no end in sight for repair cost in this car. Had to stop the hemorrhaging. It was time to get out while the getting was good.

No hatred for Suby or LGT's here. I simply bought into something that I could not afford to restore / maintain. Especially with my job (outside sales and about 35K miles per year) I would definitely have another Suby - given that I bought it new, and was able to break it in properly. For now, I am going with what I know to be "tried and true" - an '07 Accord EX V-6. We bought my wife one two years ago and it has been predictably flawless (boring, but flawless)

I gotta say a few words about this forum in general. What a great place to spend some time! I really mean it. This board is unique for so many reasons but here are my favorites:

- 0% toleration for most things ricey. (yeah, that's coming from a new Honda owner:lol:) I HATE huge wings, crazy-ass front bumpers, interfoolers, etc...... Seems like most people here feel the same way.

- people here seem to understand that the LGT is a quick / fast car, but by no means not the quickest / fastest car out there. It is quicker than a lot of cars, but there is a general sense of reality / humility to be found here.http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif (I think this is the one thing that I noticed first and enjoyed the most)

- a sense of humor here that mirrors my own. I will still come here to see what is in the "general funny" forum.

Also, I will be parting out a few things in the near very near future:

- The coveted OEM MP3 headunit! There is a bonus though - it comes with the Jazzy board "pro kit" installed. Package also includes a Sirius Starmate Replay receiver. "plug-n-play" style package - $399.

- Three OEM LGT wheels. Good shape - some light curb rash - $100 per wheel (plus shipping)

So I guess thats it. Have a good one guys / gals and keep it between the ditches!

see you around...............

Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your car. When i bought my car with 54k miles on the clock I had some interior wear and tear, and a bad injector.

Buying used has its risks, but I dont think i made a bad decision. It has been great for the last 1500 miles (i dont really drive it all that much but it's been okay after stage 2).

I have a "tried and true" car to go along with the legacy, so if there is legacy downtime, it's okay because i have a spare. i've talked about my miata to death but i feel it is a GREAT stablemate to the legacy. inexpensive, easy to fix and handles great :D

anyway hope there is some more excitement somewhere down the road for ya. dont fall asleep driving the accord, lol

car for sale. PM me!

sorry to hear about your misfortune. You should definitely get another one brand new as fast as possible, or a new Impreza - they are damn sexy in person...less the stupid ass tail lights.

Parting out anything else? I need a fog lamp :( damn things are $300 some odd...what the hell? Probably not, but worth a try :D

that's too bad - even though the problems aren't stuff that happens to well kept cars....rotors, wheel bearings, clutches, ground syncros, etc...

that's why I pay the little bit more, and buy new. Even a "nearly" new can bite you in the ass...

I plan on keeping my whip for 10 years, at least. I mean, it's the perfect little transporter - and 300 AWD horsepower will be fun for a long time.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Archived