LegacyGT.com

ContiExtremeContact A/S Tire Review

Vimy101

In a word, excellent. I put just shy of 10k miles on them. Great winter tire option for temperate zones. They handle water and snow very well though I didn't get a chance to try them in any snow depths greater than to about the level of the fog lights. They were somewhat challenged in a rare very cold snowfall where the road crews added copious amounts of salt that turned the snow into something akin to the consistency of butter. Larger tread lugs found on a true snow tire would have helped but butter is just plain slippery. However, the Contis were never overwhelmed and did quite well all in all. Stopping was not as assured as acceleration and I wonder if that might be due to the directional tread design.

To get a similar circumference as the OEM Spec.B tires I got them in the 215/50-17 size. The extra sidewall helped smooth out pothole season nicely. Dry performance was a little bit squishy even at ~39f/37r psi but they held their grip pretty well on some high speed curves I know well.

Mileage did drop somewhat but that could also be because they were mounted at about the same time winter gas blends were showing up. I have heard that these tires are harder on gas and I would put that down to the more flexible sidewall than the OEM tires (Bridgestone 050) and the much more aggressive tread design. The tires weigh in at 22 lbs each (as per Tire Rack) and with wheels and tires total came to 43 lbs (as per bathroom scale).

The ContiExtremeContact tire is a great A/S with a bias towards handling snow. With symmetrical AWD, they are extremely competent. When my local tech first saw them he said, "So you got some snow tires." Snow, rain or dry the ContiExtremes were excellent and provided that elusive "driver confidence" factor.

• 5 months later...

I read the recent Consumer Reports tire ratings. The Contiextremes placed well. CR noted that some UHP A/S give up some summer performance in order to improve winter utility. They wrote that the Contis performed as well on snow and ice as the dedicated winter tire they used as a control (no mention of the control's brand). The Contis rated "good" for dry and "excellent" for rolling resistance and tread life.

Some have mentioned that CR reviews are somewhat suspect and perhaps they are. However, my experience with the Contis is that they are excellent in the white stuff and quite good in the dry. These tires make for a great winter set up for urban areas that see winter conditions because a great deal of one's daily driving is going to be done in cold dry conditions where an A/S is less likely to suffer from premature tread wear that a dedicated snow might suffer. Then when it snows or gets sloppy, the Contis perform like champs. Not only that, the price is right too.:)

Nice review.

I really gave the ContiExtreme's some consideration (along with GY Eagle F1 AS), but finally decided to go with dedicated (albeit "performance") snows. I went with the ContiWinterContact TS810 Sport. I am excited to see how they do. They seem to get good reviews from the Porsche crowd for performance in both winter and dry road conditions.

i agree with your appraisal. I had a set on my old A4 1.8t for about 20k before my sister wrecked it, and they were awesome in the northwest summer and winters... couldn't get them to hydroplane, ever. awesome for light to medium snow, too (i didn't take my slammed A4 snowplowing or anything, lol).

I have a new set on my 18'' ultralegerras, and they're great too... quieter than the old stockers, even in 18'', and they handle very well.

They do sacrifice a little dry performance, but for a single year-round tire, they've really impressed me for all around utility.

Guest heightsgtltd

^^ that's exactly the point. For a single year-round tire they're a great choice.

Supposedly the Bridgestone 960s are comparable but I havent used them.

I've had the Contis on two Subies so far and have had no traction problems. My '02 had about 8k miles on them when it got wrecked but they were still holding strong without much change in road noise.

I now have a new set on the '05 wagon and love them for A/S since I have yet to get around to rolling my fenders to fit the 19's without rubbing. I got the 17s with the Contis since I really liked their performance and price. The best price can be had at Tirerack but they are usually back ordered...

Just got back from having mine installed. WOW, what a difference from RE92s. I feel like I just had a suspension and brake upgrade along with the tires! The car feels much more planted to the road and the steering is much more responsive. So much so that I found myself turning into corners to much. No more "BANG" when going over medium bumps either.

Minimal road noise but louder at highway speeds than RE92s (Probably because mine were very worn.) I had to really listen to notice though. My confidence just jumped to a whole new level in this car after new pads and tires. I'll post some winter driving impressions when the snow starts falling here pretty soon.

^Seriously? I learned how to drive in the snow in a RWD 84 Olds with radials! Anything AWD with decent all seasons will be plenty good for 95% of the snow we get, and we get plenty.

How far into The Great White North are you? North of the Arctic Circle? ;)

So where is this mystery place where you only dare to drive in the winter with dedicated snows under any conditions? Does it snow 9 feet at a time or what? If so, that must be a LOT of fun to play around in.

Maybe you should get a set of these instead ;)

http://lh4.google.com/gmoreschi/RxWP1qpcAQI/AAAAAAAAA54/pokXs0iEZJU/s400/tracks.jpg

I'll never drive in the winter (esp with snow on the ground) without proper winter tires (that have the snowflake symbol)

That's because you rarely see snow and don't know how to drive in it because you hale from the greater Vancouver area.

I had the Continental ContiExtremeContact on my old 2004 Impreza WRX Wagon in the stock 205/55-16 size. They performed very well. Excellent in the snow and rain and pretty good in the dry. Way better than the RE92's on my car at the time. I had the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position for about 10k miles on the car till I sold it for my new Legacy. The 960's are better in the dry, I'd say the same in the wet, but definitely not as good in the snow. They were pretty competent, but really slick/mushy stuff it wasn't as good. Either one is better than RE92's. I currently have RE92's that came with my car and about 7/32 tread on them. I am debating between the Conti's or the new Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires that came out. I do notice that in the dry and wet these RE92's do seem better than they did on my WRX. Maybe the extra width and lower profile help? Suggestions?

BTW, Continental's are $90 each and Goodyear's are $130 each in the stock 215/45-17 size.

I had the Continental ContiExtremeContact on my old 2004 Impreza WRX Wagon in the stock 205/55-16 size. They performed very well. Excellent in the snow and rain and pretty good in the dry. Way better than the RE92's on my car at the time. I had the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position for about 10k miles on the car till I sold it for my new Legacy. The 960's are better in the dry, I'd say the same in the wet, but definitely not as good in the snow. They were pretty competent, but really slick/mushy stuff it wasn't as good. Either one is better than RE92's. I currently have RE92's that came with my car and about 7/32 tread on them. I am debating between the Conti's or the new Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires that came out. I do notice that in the dry and wet these RE92's do seem better than they did on my WRX. Maybe the extra width and lower profile help? Suggestions?

BTW, Continental's are $90 each and Goodyear's are $130 each in the stock 215/45-17 size.

which is the bigger performance gap? dry or snow between the contis and RE960?

I just brought my car in for inspection and the garage called and said the rears are down to the wear bars and I can't pass inspection without replacing the tires. I will say that the 18K were mostly local and definitely spirited driving and the Contis were excellent in all conditions though I never had to deal with any deep snow. Probably just get another set and take the turns a little slower...naaaaaaaah.

which is the bigger performance gap? dry or snow between the contis and RE960?

Between the 960's and the Conti's I would rate the 960's better in the dry, the Conti's better in the snow and both were similar in the wet. I will say the Conti's dealt with the really crappy stuff better than the 960's.

i personally think these tires suck. Too soft, not nearly as good in performance handling as my p zero neros. However in the rain and snow they were better than the neros.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Archived