LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy Franklin Ma

Hello,

I think there are issues I missed with my car, hood gap a little larger on one side, rear doors seems to look like they are not level with the rear quarter almost like they are not completely closing. I was hoping there would be someone with a 2008 Legacy 2.5i near me that wouldn't mind meeting me somewhere so I can see if it is a normal thing or not. Bought the car from Clay Subaru in Norwood.

Very Concerned hoping these things are nothing

How's your CarFax and title?

I checked to make sure it was not a salvage title and it comes up clean for that. I checked to see it was not previously listed as a lemon and that came up clean. The car was a rental for 12k miles and then was privately owned for 10k miles. It was in an accident but no deployed air bags and the air bags are functional I had that checked. The frame is straight I had that checked the car drives awesome and gets great gas mileage starts easy and brakes fine. At idle the car is perfectly stable and not rough. A few dings in the panels no problem but I have noticed strange things two clips in the engine are creased but not on the edges, the hood gap is a little wider on one side than the other. The rear doors don't line up perfectly with the body, they are a hair off. There is of course rough work on the door edges but that is because it was a rental for a period of time. I see very little rust anywhere on the car including on any of the exhaust parts I have been under the car and the metal work underneath, exhaust look good. Even the rims are very nice a little munched up but very little one rim is perfect no unusual scratches or damage of any kind the other 3 are I would say very good not perfect but decent for a used car. I have purchased another vehicle that was a rental and have had 20k miles no problems at all. I just want to compare it with someone else's to see if these things are all typical of a Subaru or not. I have had the car for a couple of weeks. I will never buy another used car from a dealer though I must say this particular purchase was so painful that I don't think it is worth saving the money.

Doesn't seem that bad. If you're wondering, bring it to a reputable (if that's possible) body shop and ask them what they think has happened to the car. hood/door gaps are adjustable. Look for overspray, runs/drips in clearcoat, check under the doors for the VIN stickers...since you bought it, make the best of it. It's still a Subaru. Adjust, jiff it up, and start modifying it to make up in performance what it might lack in bodily perfection.

Doesn't seem that bad. If you're wondering, bring it to a reputable (if that's possible) body shop and ask them what they think has happened to the car. hood/door gaps are adjustable. Look for overspray, runs/drips in clearcoat, check under the doors for the VIN stickers...since you bought it, make the best of it. It's still a Subaru. Adjust, jiff it up, and start modifying it to make up in performance what it might lack in bodily perfection.

Thanks for the reply that is why I was trying to find another owner close to me so I could do a quick compare. The car is actually not terrible I got it for 14,600 with 22k miles on it. It concerned me some and was on the line of what was acceptable to me but I got a 2year/100k warranty on it yes with a deductible but still. I missed a few things during my inspection that I should have caught. What mods can you even do on a 2008 2.5i other than exhaust? I was considering bigger sway bars. I also wonder if there is a way to KNOW if the panels are original to the car.

Here's a few shots from my 08 for comparison. The only thing that looks out of line is your hood.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/SmutasticGT/IMG061.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/SmutasticGT/IMG062.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/SmutasticGT/IMG063.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/SmutasticGT/IMG064.jpg

Sorry for the dark pics. The light in my garage just went out. Hope this helps.

Maybe it's just the angle of the pic but this part looks a tad bit off. Possibly the driver side fender was replaced on yours? I'll take another shot when I get off work.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/SmutasticGT/IMG_5290_small.jpg

Okay here's a closer one. I'm probably going crazy and it's really nothing but this just seems off to me even if the pic was exactly lined up to yours.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/SmutasticGT/IMG_5290_small-1.jpg

Yes mine appears to be slightly off from yours. The interesting thing is that there is a crinkle in that piece on both sides and on both cars so I am thinking that is just how the car was manufactured and your rear doors seem to be slightly off like mine but not as pronounced as mine but it does look like from the factory the rear doors stick out just a little like I said though mine seem to be more pronounced. I feel a lot better I mean the car drives perfectly straight and is actually a very nice car other than these things I have noticed but it doesn't look like out of control damage or anything.

I think we all over think/analyze our cars since we own it and every lil scratch or in your case gaps drive us crazy lol. Your right on the creases in the engine bay, I have them too so I think you're fine. I'm sure the dealer or any body shop can realign the hood pretty easily and cheaply as well.

Do your rear doors stick out a little also? And I agree I do overanalyze my car it is just a car I put my first scratch on it today :). I think it is just the expense of the thing that makes me look at every nook and cranny and wonder about it. The car has been great other than small defects so far.

Do your rear doors stick out a little also? And I agree I do overanalyze my car it is just a car I put my first scratch on it today :). I think it is just the expense of the thing that makes me look at every nook and cranny and wonder about it. The car has been great other than small defects so far.

Yeah my rear doors stick out a bit as well and it wasn't until I took a good look at it after the first car wash. Maybe it's a common thing with this model Subaru? I def did a double take lol.

Yeah my rear doors stick out a bit as well and it wasn't until I took a good look at it after the first car wash. Maybe it's a common thing with this model Subaru? I def did a double take lol.

Good I feel better I was really concerned when I saw that and yea mine seems to be worse than normal but it seems to be common trait. Found out that the panel was either replaced or messed with in some way and not on correctly nice ha. If your in Mass never buy a car from Clay Subaru man this has been a nightmare for me but hopefully I will survive it :)

Archived