LegacyGT.com

Add-a-circuit install for phone charging

BigTDogg MA

So I'm looking for a +12VDC source for my 12V to 5V converter to hardwire a USB Micro connection for my phone. Below is a shot of the fuse panel in the driver side of the dash.

2012-04-23_08-56-23_100.jpg

I'm thinking of using an Add-a-circuit, similar to this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0956pt-Mini-Fused-Circuit/dp/B001QRSBW0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_1]Amazon.com: Pico 0956pt Mini Fused Circuit 16 Awg 10a: Automotive[/ame]

To power the converter, which is this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Regulator-12V-Step-down-5V-3A-Power-Supply-Module-Waterproof-/260989478653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc42f66fd

I want to run the USB Micro cable up and out the vent to the left of the gauge pod, on the dash. The side defroster vent. I place my car dock there for the GPS function, and would like to be able to charge while running it.

I'm thinking of tapping the wiper deice circuit, as it's rarely used, and I wouldn't be using the two at the same time, probably ever.

Anyone see any issues with my plan?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only that you can save a buck and pick up the add-a-circuit at Autozone for $6.99. If you look around on amazon more, you can find them cheaper (like $2.99, but then there's shipping making it about equal).

But I do know they sell them at Autozone for $6.99, because I picked one up for my Miata a few weeks ago.

Only that you can save a buck and pick up the add-a-circuit at Autozone for $6.99. If you look around on amazon more, you can find them cheaper (like $2.99, but then there's shipping making it about equal).

But I do know they sell them at Autozone for $6.99, because I picked one up for my Miata a few weeks ago.

Best things ever for sure. That will help out with anything that needs to be hardwired.

• 10 months later...

Finally got around to getting the add-a-circuit.

I don't think my wiper deice plan would work, because I'm planning on using 5A fuse for the charging circuit. Could go to 7.5 amp, and pin it to the mirror circuit.

If it works like I think it will, I'll do a step by step. It appears to be really easy.

Thanks, but def keeping everything on this side of the FW. Untill I do a blockhead gauge pod, then I'll need to access the bay.

Took the side interior panel off, plenty of room to mount and run wires, lots of good grounding locations too.

Does this help you any?

That's a great idea actually. I think I'll add a port to the dead panel next to the wiper deice, but I still plan to run the USB Micro through the vent. Wish I saw that before I bought my converter and all, but whatevs. Where did you ground to?

The big tubular crash beam back there has lots of holes for grounds ;)
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The big tubular crash beam back there has lots of holes for grounds ;)

So I'm scrapping the wire through the vent idea. I figure once I get the Blockhead pod it'll be pretty crowded in that area.

I've decided to run a USB hub in the glove box, and run a USB extension to the dead panel to the right of the Wiper Deice button. That way I can plug my OBD-II cable into the port next to the driver, and connect the laptop to the hub without dangling wires over the steering column and all.

The hardest part of investigating all that was the g'damn mirror switch connector. I swear the release tabs on automotive connectors HAVE to be designed to be damn near impossible to remove.

I'll post pics here once I begin the process.

I use the 90* OBD2 extension cable from Tactrix to get that out the way of the pedals. The Tactrix module is mounted behind the passenger side dash end panel, along with the LC-1 controller and serial-USB adapter. Both of those output to a USB hub at the blower motor, just under the glovebox.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...

So I didn't take a ton of pics during the process. Actually I took none. It's pretty easy if you have patience and a Dremel.

I cut up the dead panel next to the mirror switch. I then inserted a Mediabridge USB extension cable through the back side. I mention the brand because some extensions are too large to fit in the panel. Filled it with 5 minute Harbor Freight epoxy, trimmed the excess and Plastidipped it.

USB+Side.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the result. Looks factory IMHO:

USB+Installed+2.jpg

USB+Installed.jpg

This will run to a hub in the glove box. Easy OBD-II access and phone charging without running a cable across me.

Planning on finishing this and the audio work tomorrow and Friday. Thanks for the idea fahr_side!

Got everything installed, and couldn't be happier. I haven't tried the OBD-II connectivity yet, but I don't anticipate any issues. Looks and works great, thanks to all for your ideas and help.

DSC03133.JPG

DSC03135.JPG

DSC03137.JPG

Grounding location was very easy to drill (with patience). I 3M taped the power converter to the top side of the tan plastic shelf at the bottom of the picture.

IMG_20130329_112650_624.jpg

The hub in the glove box. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the top of the glove box area (with pocket removed):

IMG_20130329_123628_896.jpg

Sweet. How hard is it to pull out the mirror controller trim piece?

It's not too bad at all really. Remove the black side trim piece, then you can push the assembly from behind, working the tabs loose on the side closest to you. The bitch of it is removing the connector for the mirror controls. A small flat blade screwdriver makes depressing the retaining feature much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
So, as great as this is for phone/GPS charging, it sadly doesn't work with the Tatrix/VAG-COM cable for ECU reading/flashing/data-logging. I tried connected to the panel, extender to hub, hub to laptop; nothing. Tried cable to panel, extender directly to laptop, nothing. May try once more, because my laptop and RR was being funky, but I'm not sure it'll work through so many extenders/hubs.

I don't see why that shouldn't work. Do you have anything else connected to those hubs?

I don't see why that shouldn't work. Do you have anything else connected to those hubs?

Nope, only one hub. And only the extension connected to it. Tried it powered and unpowered. When it was powered my laptop said it was overvoltage, so I disconnected the power. It's connected to +5VDC, maybe it expects 3.3VDC?

I'll try again today at lunch, still waiting for another revision of my map.

Should need to add power. Pretty sure the OP2 registers as a high power USB device. Bypass cables and hubs until it works again, deduce from there.

Archived