LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed limited -- your asking price?

As much as it pains me to say it, it's time to part ways with my 2005 Legacy GT Wagon limited five speed, regal blue pearl, black interior. It will be for sale once my Volvo V60 arrives from Sweden in May (oh, if only Subaru still sold a non-Outbackized Legacy Wagon!).

At the same time, my brother is selling his almost-identical car, only his is satin white pearl. As a favor, I'll be selling it for him. I just have to wait for him to deliver it to me -- he's about 350 miles away.

So I have two unicorns for sale, and I have potential buyers lined up for both. The question is, what to ask? I don't care to play negotiating games; I will put out a good, fair and firm price to avoid the hassle of haggling. I have a ball park figure in my mind, but thought I would get opinions.

Mine: Regal blue pearl. No mods, no accidents. Purchased new. Daily driver for a decade with 146k miles. Exterior is in good shape, with paint that polishes up nicely each year, but could definitely use some PDR love (apparently nobody in NoVa knows how to open their doors gently -- one body panel alone has nine small dings). New clutch at 125k. Outside of the rear wheel bearings, no mechanical failures for which this car is known. Newer Conti DWS tires; separate set of winter wheels with Conti ExtremeWinter snows that are near the end of their useful life. Interior is good shape, with main damage being scuffs on back of passenger seat from my daughter kicking it as she grew up (she kicked the rear cupholder to pieces years ago, too). Everything works.

Brother's: Satin white pearl. No mods, no accidents beyond a couple of parking lot incidents: there is a dented rear door from a college student swinging wide pulling into a parking space (might need the panel replaced at this point) and the corner of the rear bumper is pushed in, likely from a snow plow. Just over 100k miles. This car has had two major failures: blown turbo, which resulted in a top-end rebuild about three years ago, and a throwout bearing failure about a year ago, so it has a used replacement transmission. Both repairs performed by Subaru techs. Otherwise, the condition of the car is similar to above.

So: what is a fair firm price for the higher mileage (146K) blue daily driver that has been pretty reliable, and for the lower-mileage (100k) white car that has had major repairs?

Oh year, full maintenance and records for both.

Both manual wagons? Well then that's another ball game.

SWP black interior, around 100k with timing belt service done? Ask 10.5k with the bad bumper.

Hold steady asking 9.5k on the RBP

Obviously pics etc... Would help the pricing process and I have only a sense of the market in your area via craigslist,here, and web searches. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I'll trade you straight across my black wagon for the white one. I want to swap my suspension stuff and wheels though so my black wagon would go back to stock. I'd say you could probably post the white wagon for 12k and take 11k. 9.5k is fair for the RBP

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I'll trade you straight across my black wagon for the white one. I want to swap my suspension stuff and wheels though so my black wagon would go back to stock. I'd say you could probably post the white wagon for 12k and take 11k. 9.5k is fair for the RBP

Thanks for the offer, but just interested in selling not swapping.

The feeling I'm getting is the major mechanical failures of the white wagon (rebuilt engine, new transmission, big dent on rear door) aren't going to hold its value down -- I thought its repair history might hurt its resale.

Blown turbo has essentially demonstrated that it was fixed correctly since it has run solidly for 3 years now since the failure. If it was going to fail again prematurely due to oil contamination in the engine, it probably would have done so by now. However, I'm not sure I agree with the above posters that are saying the SWP is worth more than the RBP. I would say the body damage would bring it in line with the RBP, though it kinda depends on the extent of the door damage and the bumper damage. The SWP is probably actually more mechanically sound than the RBP *because* it has had those parts replaced/fixed and demonstrated that the fixes are solid and 1/3 less miles. The RBP at 150k is really kind of getting close to needing a turbo replacement before it blows and takes the engine with it. It should definitely be checked for shaft play by the buyer if he knows what he's doing. Even if it seems good, a turbo is a wear item that needs replaced eventually. Can it go for 200K miles? Yes, but a proactive replacement is so much better than an after the fact fix, that it's worth it to pay for it before it happens. That said, that doesn't necessarily make it your responsibility to replace it, just know that the mileage is indicating the need and will thus affect the price. Still, I think that most of the buying public will be more turned off by the cosmetic damage than by the mechanical drawbacks. Not saying they're right to think that. It's just what I think the general market will think.

Does the SWP also have black interior? We'd need to see pics of the damage to tell it's value, SWP 5mt wagon with black leather is extremely desirable.

The RBP wagon is also a great car (identical to mine) but with the mileage I'd need to agree, you're looking around a 9k sale price.

Does the SWP also have black interior? We'd need to see pics of the damage to tell it's value, SWP 5mt wagon with black leather is extremely desirable.

The RBP wagon is also a great car (identical to mine) but with the mileage I'd need to agree, you're looking around a 9k sale price.

Yep -- SWP with black interior. Didn't realize that was considered a desirable combo.

No pics until I can get my hands on it myself (or if I can persuade my brother to take some).

How quickly do you want to sell them? I suspect you could get over 10k for either, but you'd need to be willing to hang on to them for several months until the right buyer came along.

Less for quick sale, obviously.

How quickly do you want to sell them? I suspect you could get over 10k for either, but you'd need to be willing to hang on to them for several months until the right buyer came along.

Less for quick sale, obviously.

Since these are unicorns, I know they are holding their value, but I would have to say that the numbers people are throwing around are higher than I would have thought. Not hugely higher, but still higher. Kind of amazing to think a decade-old car with close to 150K would hold close to 1/3 of its value!

And nm+ -- I recognize you from the 'tex. I'm dts over there. Often thought I should have gone to law school myself (particularly when i was working for a legal publication...).

And nm+ -- I recognize you from the 'tex. I'm dts over there. Often thought I should have gone to law school myself (particularly when i was working for a legal publication...).

Don't go to law school. You'll die sad and alone and you mom might have a driveway full of broken cars.

Archived