LegacyGT.com

97 2.5L engine misfire

Did your spark plug threads have oil on them? Bad spark plug tube seals will cause oil to leak from the valve cover onto them and cause misfire. Low compression can cause it too. Is it just one cylinder missing or multiple?

• I Donated

Is your check engine light on? What codes come up?

A bad Mass Air Flow Sensor, a bad upstream o2 sensor (before cats), vacuum leaks, low compression or other head problems, fuel injectors, bad gas and many more things can cause a misfire.

Diagnosing a misfire sucks sometimes

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 1 month later...

I had a CEL for a misfire come on and the behavior of the car didn't change at all. It came on when I was cruising, 3 different occasions, but I never lost power or had a rough idle or anything. I narrowed it down to Maverik's gas. For 3 different trips I had the misfire CEL come on while cruising 65-70 and all 3 trips I filled up at Maverik before. Now I use Chevron and haven't seen the CEL since.

I've also heard you should only use the Subaru factory spark plugs. I have some Bosch Platinums in mine but plan to change them out soon.

Archived