LegacyGT.com

Costco tire experience

BoFoSho

Costco scratched all my wheels installing new tires last week. I noticed immediately in their parking lot. I filled out a claim report and they took some pics. They called me today and offered me $400 (100/wheel) to have them repaired. Anyone ever have these types of scratches repaired? How much did it cost? Were you happy with the end result?

1023923275_wheelscratch1.thumb.jpg.e6905430f4df30419204567f63244ac3.jpg

369573005_wheelscratch2.thumb.jpg.10954297e3e3eae79b8bf29a8e7600e4.jpg

1399072796_wheelscratch3.thumb.jpg.0d5805dfd66ac712f1d7a780e4538068.jpg

Yea the average wheel

Vendor that does dealership wheel refinishing for certified cars charges 125-150.00 to refinish a wheel. As ^^^^^ stated out the money in your pocket for nice wheels and let the stockers be your beater winter wheels

^^^^ I'm positive that is what he is referring to...

Unless you are the only one taking wheels on/off and using a plastic lined socket that is bound to happen at some time. I hate to break it to you but the car isn't going to Pebble Beach for the Concours d'Elegance. The car is a tool and it's meant to be used; things like this happen. Pocket the cash and spend it on something worthwhile.

Are you referring to the recesses where the lug nuts are tightened?

I can't see any abnormal scratches, idk, I'd probably put the money towards something else

Nick C.

Yes, not to mention the lugs themselves and a few surface scratches on the wheels.

^^^^ I'm positive that is what he is referring to...

Unless you are the only one taking wheels on/off and using a plastic lined socket that is bound to happen at some time. I hate to break it to you but the car isn't going to Pebble Beach for the Concours d'Elegance. The car is a tool and it's meant to be used; things like this happen. Pocket the cash and spend it on something worthwhile.

It's not a huge deal, but can be avoided if you use the right equipment and take care. I take care of my things because I work hard for them. I've had them rotated 7 or 8 times and this has never happened anywhere else. Good to know Costco did the right thing though. I will definitely pocket the cash.

They should be using a non marring socket but I'm not sure what you would expect going to Costco for tires....

It really depends on the Costco you go to. Get to know the technicians and ask questions before having your car serviced there.

The Costco my parents use in KC has never caused any issues, and they have great pricing on brand name tires

Nick C.

John C.

Diode Dynamics

Wait a few years until the stock wheels begin to corrode form the center cap out. Subaru replaced all for wheels on my wagon back about 2007. Guess what, the same corrosion is back. Even the Spec B wheels have it around the center cap.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I agree with others, what scratches are you talking about. I just got my tires put on at Costco a month ago and it was flawless. I say pocket the cash for a different set of wheels.

They should be using a non marring socket but I'm not sure what you would expect going to Costco for tires....
What has your experience been?

We have a fleet at work and take cars there for tires all the time. Balancing, rotating, and repair for the life of the tires is pretty tough to beat and their prices are very good. Considering that truck tires are over $200 each that makes a difference.

They are very strict about the size, load range, etc. If it ain't in the book, they won't do it. But they stock some very good tires, including performance and snows.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

My experience with Costco has been a very positive one. My town's fairly affluent, so they get a lot of soccer moms, business men, and the associated German luxury vehicles. They don't often come across modded cars, let alone owners that seem to care/know about their cars.

Every time I've been there, they've been extremely careful with my wheels (not even a scratch when mounting new tires), hand-tightening the lugs first, and not over-torquing (even asking me which spec I preferred). As for being very strict about the tire sizes - I purchased and mounted 245/40/17s for my 17x8 RPF1s with no questions asked. The free balancing, rotations, nitro fill-ups, and patches if needed, are added benefits.

The only negative is that they lost one of my McGard splined lugs, but that was easy to replace, so NBD.

They are very strict about the size, load range, etc. If it ain't in the book, they won't do it. But they stock some very good tires, including performance and snows.

I took my '06 LGT into the local Costco a few years ago and they wouldn't even consider my request to do 225/40/18's on my OZ rims (18x8)...no problem...I went elsewhere......

Now I have the '13 3.6R and went to the same Costco and asked about 245/40/18's on the same rims...Not a problem...they mounted up a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3'and did a really nice job and did it quickly....AND at a way better price than anywhere else around here.

The issue with non stock sizes seems to have just solved itself....probably because I already had the non stock wheels on the car .I could not be happier with their service :)

Archived