LegacyGT.com

rear wheel bearing failure

I brought our 2005 Legacy GT wagon to Cascade Subaru today. The right rear wheel bearing has failed at 62000 miles. Rather than recall these defective bearings, Subaru provided an extended warranty for these to 80,000 miles/8 years I believe. Cascade replaced the left rear about 2 years ago at ~42,000 miles. I asked about the right one and was told it was ok. Obviously, it was defective also. They have told me that the warranty expired last week and Subaru won't cover this one. To bad they never recalled these defective bearings. I heard the noise 2 days ago and asked the wife about it. She said she has heard it for several weeks, but never bothered to mention it. I have e-mailed Subaru but they haven't responded.

john

Welcome to the forum...

Good Luck with SOA.

There are DIY and threads on replacing the hub's. they are easy if you know what your doing.

A aftermarket hub is fine for the rears, the fronts need to be OEM or Timken or SFK. Try NAPA.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't have regular internet access, but when I checked today, Subaru had responded the day after I e-mailed them to tell me they are sending me a check for the repair bill. They stated the warranty extension was 8 years/100,000 miles. They elected to cover the repair under warranty since we were only 9 days after the 8 year warranty expiration. Cheers to Subaru! It would have been presented before the expiration if my dear wife had bothered to mention she was hearing the noise at the beginning of August. Communication is such a wonderful thing.

I had my bearings replaced by SOA too! I thought it was tire noise for several months finally took the car into the dealer and they confirmed it was the rear bearings. Communication is a wondeful thing LOL maybe the wife didn't think it was a big deal anyway SOA stepped up. Good to hear.

Archived