LegacyGT.com

Stalling Engine Troubles

Hello, I would like to say thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Recently my 1999 Legacy GT(2.5) started having issues with the engine stalling out when the rpms went to go back to idle. If I pushed in the clutch or even just starting I'd have to keep a foot on the gas to keep it from dying. If I ever let off it just drops down and dies. For a while it has upon start up surged up then down to almost dying and it just catches its self and idles normal. Now it just dies. The problem isn't constant, seems just when the car is warming up. Doesn't do it when i first start it cold or when hot just in between. Tonight I dug in and went to replace the Coolant Temp Sensor and after getting the old one out realized the parts store gave me the wrong one. I put it back in and in the meantime i cleaned my clogged PCV not sure if that had an effect or not on the idle and used MAF cleaner and cleaned it. Getting a new coolant temp sensor and trying again whenever i have another night off. I'm not sure where to go from here and need help.:confused: This is my daily driver and without it I'm stuck with 8MPG in my other car. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You, Spencer

Clean you idle air control valve if plugged it won't allow the engine to get sufficient air at 0 throttle. Clean your MAF and verify your TPS is reporting correct. Its adjustable in a slide mechanism. If the tps is reporting throttle % when its actually closed the IAC will not react right to compensate.

When's the last time you changed your fuel filter?

In the last 5,000MI when I did the spark plugs, wires, and air filter.

After changing out the coolant temp sensor it is running better but we will see how that holds out. Sunday ill remove and clean the iac does it need a gasket when I take it off to put it back on? I read it did somewhere but no parts store around has one that is why I didn't do that yet.

I took off the IAC and Cleaned it and in the process found a broken air line. The nipple it goes on is broke in the line so ill need a new sensor i just dont know what sensor it is. It is the vacuum line that goes from the top of the throttle body to a spot under the middle of the intake on the side of the IAC. the sensor bolts to the intake. Any ideas????

Archived