LegacyGT.com

Definition of a "short trip"

So I just moved closer to my new job, and as a result, I'm 4.5 miles away. It still takes me close to 10 minutes to get there due to driving through residential areas, but I'm starting to wonder what the effects of this will be on my car. I still get my oil up to operating temperature for a few minutes before I shut the engine off, but I'm wondering if this will be enough to declassify my new morning commute as "bad" or "short". If I need to take a longer route to work, it really wouldn't be the worst thing in the world-- I love driving :wub:

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd go by run time rather than mileage. 4.5 miles on the freeway at 65mph would mean the engine is only running for under 5 minutes. Around town is different. When I was in the army, I worked less than a mile from where I lived. Made multiple trips to and from work per day for over a year and it had no effect on the car.

If I were you, I'd let the car warm up for a few minutes on colder days and change the oil every 3 months or even less to keep the condensation issue at bay. Also, you can expect your exhaust to rust faster. Since it doesn't get hot enough, the condesion will corrode it from the inside.

yea don't be a baby .. short trips are fine.. just give it a good beating at least once a week like you would your wife

Ha! I just chuckled a little bit out loud at work. I'm thinking I'll probably just do the once per week runthrough and then once or twice on the weekend to be safe.

Same situation for me. I'm used to driving about 25 miles to work, but just moved about a mile and a half away. Lol.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Same situation for me. I'm used to driving about 25 miles to work, but just moved about a mile and a half away. Lol.

Walk! you and your car will live longer;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

lol. It's a bit far to walk IMO, but I am considering purchasing a bike. It'll be faster than walking and still good exercise.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

lol. It's a bit far to walk IMO, but I am considering purchasing a bike. It'll be faster than walking and still good exercise.

I live 2.1 miles from my front door to my office. Riding my bike takes about 10 minutes (mostly downhill) and walking takes about 25-30. The only time I drive to work is during poor weather and the winter (Michigan winters...). I let the car warm up for 15 minutes or so before I leave in the AM during the cold months.

I highly recommend biking or walking when you're able. If anything, you'll drop a few lbs and save gas.

Archived