LegacyGT.com

The new legacy model

Down Under

"Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru, is currently in a partial partnership with Toyota Motor Corporation, which owns 16.5% of FHI."

Cited from Wikipedia, "Subaru".

I saw no mention of Honda buying Subaru whilst searching for said damnable treason.

Set your mind at ease, my friend. For now...

Has Honda purchased Subaru?:eek:

Subaru is in the midst of a Toyotafication Renaissance due to Toyota owning a chuck of them.

You could slap a Camry label on the gen 6 or gen 5 Legacy and one would blink twice. Both are fully interchangeable and forgettable.

Same for the new Forester and Rav4.

Subaru is in the midst of a Toyotafication Renaissance due to Toyota owning a chuck of them.

You could slap a Camry label on the gen 6 or gen 5 Legacy and one would blink twice. Both are fully interchangeable and forgettable.

Same for the new Forester and Rav4.

...Toyota only owns 8.7% of FHI shares, that isn't enough to have a controlling interest. Additionally the 5th and 6th gen Legacy models aren't anything like the Camry. The same goes for the Forester and RAV4, two totally different vehicles.

...Toyota only owns 8.7% of FHI shares, that isn't enough to have a controlling interest.

Irrelevant to the point. And it's 16.48% according to FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES LTD. financials, making Toyota a bigger holder than the next major 6 holders combined.

Additionally the 5th and 6th gen Legacy models aren't anything like the Camry. The same goes for the Forester and RAV4, two totally different vehicles.

Slap a Toyota badge on the new Legacy and Forester and you have something vastly more believable and plausible than say, a Toyota badge badge on a new Mazda 6 and CX-5.

The 5th and 6th Gen Legacy could easily act as rebadged bland Camry's than anything from Honda, Kia, Mazda, VW, Hyundai or anyone else that participates in the segment currently. Belaboring the point of they are "totally different" is also irrelevant to the point.

You and your club are sadly mistaken with the Camry references. Just a simple look in how the wheel well is organized and supported, install a stereo, or spend time in the engine bay and you will quickly discover the two are not engineered or produced the same.

Go Internet Go! It is so humorous to read about all of the whining. It's always been easier to get more HP from other engines at less cost... It's always been easier to go straight faster with other cars.... It's always easier to find other cars with desirable interior..... It's always easier to find a more attractive exterior..... Whine whine grumble grumble. The shapes are driven a lot by the added safety requirements, pressure to improve gas milage, and increasing interior volumes.

Get a different car and whine on that forum. Figure out how the bland interior and exterior Subaru saved your ass or your Girl friend, wife kid, partner ... Or how it got you from where you needed to go in crap weather. At that time does it matter how much it looked like a Camry? WFTO people. Keep it in perspective. Subaru has always been behind in interior and exterior bling. They keep the cost down to offer the AWD advantage. Will that always be there at the same price point? Who knows. What is very clear, 5th gen Legacy/4th gen Outback sales have blown away the prior gen.

You and your club are sadly mistaken with the Camry references. Just a simple look in how the wheel well is organized and supported, install a stereo, or spend time in the engine bay and you will quickly discover the two are not engineered or produced the same.

Strawman. Irrelevant because the implication is not now, and has never been that the Toyotafication of Subaru products mean identical engineering or design. Merely bland, forgetful, unimaginative products shared in acumen and product execution.

The 4th gen LGT was not bland, forgetful, and unimaginative.

As for clubs, the LGT club is going to get a lot smaller as 4th gen owners start retiring their cars, and 5th gen owners are rare things because Subaru botched it, and now there is no LGT at all.

Direct your ire at Subaru. They wrecked the LGT so badly that it was killed off completely.

The 4th gen LGT was not bland, forgetful, and unimaginative .....

Q: What does 'love is blind' mean? Me and my 4th gen...

A: When you're in love with something, you fail to see its flaws or imperfections. "Love is blind" means that when a person loves his 4th gen, he or she fails to see the faults or imperfections of the car he loves. It means that if you love your 4th gen then you can look past faults it has. (idiomatic) A person who is in love can see no faults or imperfections in the car who is loved. A research study in 2004 by University College London found that feelings of love suppressed the activity of the areas of the brain that control critical thought. Love can make you ignore (or become blind to) problems or short comings.

Irrelevant to the point. And it's 16.48% according to FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES LTD. financials, making Toyota a bigger holder than the next major 6 holders combined.

It's not unusual to have interests in other brands to some extent.

I don't see it as a complete disadvantage that Toyota has a share in FHI, it also means that they don't want them to fail.

What I see is more disturbing on the market today is all the parts that are shared between vehicles. Even if we have a huge number of brands a lot of stuff under the hood is made by less than a handful of different manufacturers. If one of them goes bust then we have problems.

453747.png

Slap a Toyota badge on the new Legacy and Forester and you have something vastly more believable and plausible than say, a Toyota badge badge on a new Mazda 6 and CX-5.

The 5th and 6th Gen Legacy could easily act as rebadged bland Camry's than anything from Honda, Kia, Mazda, VW, Hyundai or anyone else that participates in the segment currently. Belaboring the point of they are "totally different" is also irrelevant to the point.

GM had an even larger 20% stake in FHI before Toyota and Nissan had that stake before GM. FHI almost went bankrupt under both GM and Toyota investment. Toyota has considerably less influence than GM did. Toyota is an investor that doesn't even have a member on FHI's board of directors. Toyota doesn't have the power you think they have. If they did, FHI would be trotting out a convertible BRZ any day now.

Mazda is coming out with compelling product... but can you believe their sales were down in 2013? Yes, with a refreshed CX-9, new Mazda6, new CX-5, and new Mazda3, Mazda had a down year. Even worse, Mazda was down in January as well.

For the record, I see more people saying the 2015 Legacy looks like an Accord with a Ford grille than a Camry.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mazda is coming out with compelling product... but can you believe their sales were down in 2013? Yes, with a refreshed CX-9, new Mazda6, new CX-5, and new Mazda3, Mazda had a down year. Even worse, Mazda was down in January as well.

Not sure what market you're referring to but Mazda had an increase of 2.5% in the USA with 280k units sold in 2013.

Mazda has had steady USA sales gains YOY since 2009.

Not sure what market you're referring to but Mazda had an increase of 2.5% in the USA with 280k units sold in 2013.

Mazda has had steady USA sales gains YOY since 2009.

you're right, they did increase last year. They eeked out that 2.5% in the latter part of the year. Subaru was up 26% last year and that was over a 26% gain the prior year. Mazda was still down last month, and that was with an entirely new lineup.

Mazda also spends double what Subaru spends on incentives. Mazda could be doing much better, but it doesn't seem like their products are resonating in the market well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you're right, they did increase last year. They eeked out that 2.5% in the latter part of the year. Subaru was up 26% last year and that was over a 26% gain the prior year. Mazda was still down last month, and that was with an entirely new lineup.

Mazda also spends double what Subaru spends on incentives. Mazda could be doing much better, but it doesn't seem like their products are resonating in the market well.

Not sure where you going with this line of thought, but I'll bite because you are citing numbers but not analyzing them.

Mazda had the largest increase in sales in mid sizers in 2013. The Mazda 6 sales leaped a whopping 29.3%. A increase Larger than any other midsize sedan, including the Ford fusion. In straight sales it outsold the Legacy.

Mazda is tiny and sold 43,638 Mazda 6's in 2013, beating out the Legacy at 42,291. For a product not resonating that's pretty good.

Mazda CX-5 sales were up 83.6% in 2013, outpacing the Forester at 61.9%. The CX-5 also sold more than the Forester in January.

Mazda 3 sales were down, but more Mazda 3's were sold than Impreza's which was also down in 2013.

Mazda's losses are all primarily in older products that are between 9 and 7 years old with no redesign, and they still sold more than Lexus, Buick, Cadillac, Acura, Audi and infinity, and they not far behind BMW. Or do they not "resonate" too?

I actually like the way the 5th gens look, the 6th looks far more bland and generic. Don't get me wrong I like my 4th gen LGT, and love the bug eyed WRX/Sti's.

I have the graphite 5th gen, Enkei wheels, nice tint, platidip'd the grill, badges and the chrome around the subby logo's, I say it resembles more of a Lexus than a Camry (yeah still Toyota). I do get a lot of looks from Lexus and BMW drivers trying to figure it out what it is. Ideally it would be nice if Subaru did change up their styling path and make the cars looks more Subaruy.

I'd be sold on the BRZ if it had a turbo ;)

Has Honda purchased Subaru?:eek:

Eh, I'd rather have my "Camry" than a Neon...

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k115/T-Ho_man/neon_zps81c1f42c.png

Funny you never hear about when Dodge owned a piece of Subaru?

Stop getting upset that a car looks like another car. Cars will always have similarities between each other. It's nothing new.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived