LegacyGT.com

Replaced valve cover gasket but still leaking SOS!!

Hey All, I just got done replacing my valve cover gasket on the passenger side and all spark plugs for my 05 Outback XT. Had some smoke after doing it but decided to take a look underneath. Looks like the leak has reappeared in the same spot.

Anyone else have this issue or know what may be causing this? Thanks for your help.

The Fel-pro kit I purchased did not have RTV in it so I did not use any.

Same spot would be the bottom middle bolt. It seems to be leaking more now than before. Planning to pull the valve cover off today and see if the gasket rolled when putting it in place. Also, picked up some RTV to put on there as well.

Any other prognoses or suggestions?

I just replaced the valve cover on my F250, and while that is totally not a subaru, on every DIY valve cover replacement I found for any car I looked at had at least one point where they wanted you to put RTV on.

Actually, this guy was on vacation and had to replace his valve cover gaskets at the same time. De documented the process very thoroughly so give it as shot. http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Was talking more about pattern to re-tighten bolts. Sorry, should have been more specific, my apologies.

Image is form alldatadiy.com, well worth the subscription cost.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/120290323_zpsa0d6f7c2.gifhttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/120290322_zpscef2388c.gif

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Was talking more about pattern to re-tighten bolts. Sorry, should have been more specific, my apologies.

The letters in hammer down's image illustrate the tightening sequence

• 3 months later...

reviving this thread...

My heads were refreshed 3 months ago and about 1.5 month ago, I noticed my passenger side valve cover is leaking :mad:. It has a brand new gasket on it. I am not sure if the mechanic used some RTV when installing those though :rolleyes:.

Anyways when I tackle this bad boy, could I reuse the valve cover gasket (2k miles on it) or must I install a brand new one?

IMO, I would go with new set. You really don't know why it's leaking. Until you take it apart. At a min. I would have a new set on-hand. If the old one looks good. You can always return the new set.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

IMO, I would go with new set. You really don't know why it's leaking. Until you take it apart. At a min. I would have a new set on-hand. If the old one looks good. You can always return the new set.

True. I'll probably do that then.

Last (maybe dumb) question: do you have to drain the engine oil to do this?

Archived