LegacyGT.com

2005 OBXT - List of Mods I want, What order?

Alright, so I definitely have the bug to do some work to my obxt.

She has nearly 80k miles. 100% stock (except for rear jdm sway) and an infamous tune. (Automatic Trans)

I would like more power, better suspension and I plan on throwing on some wheels.

I have already done a full audio build. The thread is not updated, but it can be found here...http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/126744-2005-subaru-outback-xt-limited-wagon.html

As of right now, I am unsure of which order I should go in.

I think I want to get an STI upipe.

Catted Dpipe (unsure on brand)

And then Re-tune.

Not sure what other (lower cost) mods I can add for performance.

I definitely need to lower her. I had a 2007 civic with low profile tires that handled 1000000x better than the Outback and frankly It almost seems silly to get more power as loose as she feels.

For a while i thought i might like keeping her as an outback. Higher suspension, some A/T tires, make her fun if i want to take her on some trails, but that also had me thinking that i may be able to accomplish that if i get some coilovers?

Bottom line is that this car is my daily driver. I want to have fun and not drop 5 grand into the car... at least right away.

Please, any suggestions or direction would be great.

If I were you, I'd put my money into a Turbo R&R. For ~$750 you can get an EVO 16G and put that worry behind you. At 80k, you're statistically at the end of the Turbo's life, especially if you're stressing it with a tune. The need to replace it is not a question, the only variable is when. You can either do it on your terms or on it's terms.

Also take care of your oil supply. This means banjo filters out, subaru oil filter (higher bypass pressure), and T6 in the case. I've gone one step further and upgraded to the 11mm STI pump. That is a very cheap mod considering what it buys you.

Regarding lowering of the OBXT, I just completed an LGT spring swap and it's exactly what I wanted. Used 05 OBXT front struts, 04 OB rear struts.

billy - thanks for the input - you think good pads arent going to cut it?

Oregon. I want to go lower than the stock LGT Wagon, something similar to the boston motorsports outback - same color as mine. the B&R turbo is on the list of possible upgrades. My car is under warranty for another 20k+ miles, so I may wait for the turbo to go and have them replace it with stock, sell the stock and use the old one to sent to them.

If I were you, I'd put my money into a Turbo R&R. For ~$750 you can get an EVO 16G and put that worry behind you. At 80k, you're statistically at the end of the Turbo's life, especially if you're stressing it with a tune. The need to replace it is not a question, the only variable is when. You can either do it on your terms or on it's terms.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm over 80k on my stock turbo, no abnormal shaft play. These aren't ticking timebombs.

Also take care of your oil supply. This means banjo filters out,

Again, 80+k on my banjo filters and they were virtually spotless. Subaru put them there for a reason (which we may never know, but there must have been a reason)

billy - thanks for the input - you think good pads arent going to cut it?

The Outback brakes are smaller than the LGT's brakes. You've got lots of options but brakes are expensive. You're better finding a set of used LGT brake calipers, new rotors and pads. Anything like Brembos will require different wheels that will clear the calipers.

My car is under warranty for another 20k+ miles, so I may wait for the turbo to go and have them replace it with stock, sell the stock and use the old one to sent to them.

The only problem with the turbo is if it "goes" then it usually shoots parts of itself through the intercooler and into the engine.

The Outback brakes are smaller than the LGT's brakes. You've got lots of options but brakes are expensive. You're better finding a set of used LGT brake calipers, new rotors and pads. Anything like Brembos will require different wheels that will clear the calipers.

I will be upgrading the wheels, I know safety comes first but the breaking the car has now has been very good to me. I am not an irresponsible driver, I don't have fun unless its safe (Not around too many other cars, or on the highway with room), the breaks something that i can get away with until later?

The only problem with the turbo is if it "goes" then it usually shoots parts of itself through the intercooler and into the engine.

Yeah, I've read about it. Drop the pan, flush, flush flush. Warranty would cover it all, including a rental. Not a big concern. I just change my oil ever 3k-3.5k Rotella 10w-40 full syn. The dealer looked at my car not too long ago and checked out the turbo, she was good.

On my 05 OBXT, the first mod I did was lower it with lgt springs and kyb shocks alongand with newu continental dws tires. Its not super low but much better than the awful stock wheel gap.

Next I got an invidia uppipe and downpipe with highflow cat, cobb AP, perrin airfilter, rear swaysway bar,and a b&m tranny cooler. Def more fun to drive now but not too crazy. I recently bought some hawk pads and new rotors but haven't installed yet

The last thing I want to do is cbe. Im leaning towards the borla system since it seems like a pretty easy install without issues like other cbes. I was also thinking about the 5eat valve body upgrade too but im not sure I want to at the moment.

i've actually decided to keep stock height, even possibly add king springs and put a large A/T tire on to fill the wells. I initially purchased the car thinking i was going to vermont and would need the higher clearance... I think I am going to use my outback for what it was designed for.

• Mega Users
Then go for 00-04 kyb rear struts and overload or king springs and 03-04 kyb front struts. Also consider a RSB and mounts. Then do the up/downpipe and stage 2 tune at the same time. That's about as good as it's going to get with stock height.

Up-pipe, downpipe, and tune are a good way to start. About $600 right there.

As an alternative to coilovers, I would recommend a spring/strut combo. That will probably be the cheaper route, and coilovers might be overkill on your DD. Ask around for good combos, especially on Outbacks. A good spring/strut combo should cost you under $1,000.

Sways, endlinks, etc. are a good idea. Will probably cost about $600.

Upgraded brake pads, and possibly upgraded rotors and stainless steel brake lines will help in that department. I don't know about this generation of Outback, but I know that the brakes on my '04 OB H6 faded really fast when pushed hard. All-new rotors, pads, and lines should cost you about $700.

Power-wise, look into a BNR 16G and supporting mods (possibly TMIC, injectors, EBCS, fuel pump). Should make a good replacement for the factory turbo and should give you a significant power bump. This should cost just north of $2,000.

Price estimates are assuming the parts are brand-new. If you get used part, you could do all of this for cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

You're going to like the King springs. I recently put them on my 05 xt along w kyb gr2s (05 front and 04rears). The 04 are supposed to be a stiffer shock which in my case made the ride better. The overall ride of the car is much more controlled and handles corners much better.

As far as brakes, I haven't had any issues yet. Another guy local to me upgraded his xt to wilwood brakes up front. I'm probably going to go the LGT route.

I know everybody says 05s in front and 04s in back. I understand the 00-04 cars were heavier and the rear struts are stiffer, but why not go stiffer all around? I have a hard time imagining that stock replacement KYBs, even for a somewhat heavier car, would be TOO stiff...

Thanks, Doug

You're going to like the King springs. I recently put them on my 05 xt along w kyb gr2s (05 front and 04rears). The 04 are supposed to be a stiffer shock which in my case made the ride better. The overall ride of the car is much more controlled and handles corners much better.

• Mega Users
There was one or two people on subaruoutback.org that said the 04 fronts were harsh, but I think they should be fine. People also said the same about the 04 rears, which I think are perfect for a stock replacement. There is also about 1/4-1/2" lift with the 04 replacements.

Archived