LegacyGT.com

Switch to synth from conventional?

Once I get my car back (05 LGT) and running topnotch from the dealer, I plan on an immediate oil change and start it on it's regimented maintenance plan. I've only ever had high mileage cars and usually ran 20w40 conventional oil and afraid to run synthetic through the old tired bearings and seals. This LGT has been run since day one (so I've been told anyway) on 5w30 conv oil. I would like to switch to synth, but now I am afraid after near 116K kms that introducing synth may dislodge any deposits left by that many miles of regular oil. Would it be a bad idea now to run synth through it for fear of it's cleaning but not it's conditioning of still fairly new seals and bearings? I don't want to cook the turbo by dislodging crap and having it get caught in the banjo bolt screen. EEP !!

I've never used synth, but have been told it cleans the oil passages. I am just afraid of more turbo issues if it cleans it and cause small pieces to clog the screens. Is it not worth the switch then?? I may just be a little gun shy since I've already had one turbo self destruct within 2 days of purchase. This car is also worth the safeguards, my others were more "replaceable".

I have 109,000 miles on my car, bought it new. Have always run dino oil. 5w30 or 10w30 this time of year. I have been at AP stage 1 for over 100,000 miles. Currently at 16.5 psi.

I do regular oil and filter changes between 3000 and 5000 miles. No oil related issues.

I have taken to running synthetic on the tranny and rear end. I use the stuff from Walmart. Change them at 30,000 miles.

There's a oil thread here some where.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Cool........thanks. I won't bother switching then. Makes about a $30(ish) difference in the cost between conv and synth. Helps me save toward springs.

Dino oil ?? Is this another term for conventional?? I am still learning the shortforms and acronyms used in these threads. Like a whole new language.

You have time to read more and then decide if this is the right choice for you. Don't rush into anything.

Are you going to lower the car or just better springs. Remember it snows where you live.

May be think about sway bars instead. Progress has a nice set up. I think they have springs to. Call them and talk to Joey, tell him the guy with the yellow civic drag car on there team page sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I used to be big in modifying watercooled VWs and have had an '84 GLi low enough with a front spoiler that I PREplowed the roads if I went out before the snowplows. HAHA I want to lower the car to fill the wheelwells out nicely, not necessarily for the performance gain. I may not modify my LGT that much simply because compared to all my VWs.....this car hauls A$$. famous last words maybe, but for now, not many mods beyond aesthetic. I figure a 1.5" drop would suffice.

Are there not mid level springs available that work well enough with stock dampers?? I am VERY new to Subaru, and very unfamiliar with manufacturers and what works with what. This forum has been a godsend in the 2wks I've owned the car.

Coilovers....I wish. I would slam the car though, and my GF might not be so inclined to drive with me. hehehe, I'd like to keep her, so moderate mods at most this time around.

i'm running coiis with maybe only a 1" drop from stock, you don't have to slam them but you always get the same amt of strut travel regardless of the ride height so it's kinda nice

but this thread has some spring options, http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111909

not to say springs won't work stock dampers but aftermarket struts are a lot better than OEM

Archived