LegacyGT.com

Lets help Subaru redesign the Legacy (2012?)

I know there is plenty of comments in the other threads, but this is to start fresh and actually do some designing. This is mostly for fun, but think that Subaru NA might be listening/watching.

Lets help Subaru redesign the Legacy. Post comments and suggestions on style points of the new car, what you like and don't like. After a few comments, I'll pick a few, do some sketches and possibly some photoshop work, and come up with a concept. We'll comment on that, tweak it, and the post a final version. Perhaps even send the final directly to Subaru for consideration.

The idea is to attack mostly the base Legacy GT in 2.5 or similar trim. Later we'll explore Wagon, Spec.B and other options.

The starting Point:

http://www.automobilebox.com/wp-content/gallery/subaru/legacy_2010_1.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/family_four_doors/2010_subaru_legacy_first_drive_review/2010_subaru_legacy/2010_subaru_legacy_2_5gt_14/2221178-1-eng-US/2010_subaru_legacy_2_5gt_14_gallery_image_large.jpg

http://www.motorauthority.com/content/thumbs/2/0/2010_subaru_legacy_b4_25gt_002-0520-950x650.jpg

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make the nose of the car more pointed, put the e-brake back in the territory of my right hand, give it more overhead storage space in the interior (such as an overhead console), add a rear spoiler (lip or wing, may want to vote on that), maybe change the motor to a turbo flat 6 (or a twin turbo flat 4), move the third brake light to the roof instead of on the rear deck lid (in order to improve visibility).

Keep the window frames (I really like having those), keep disc brakes on all 4 wheels, keep the dual exhaust (I really like having those), fill out the wheel wells with bigger rims and tires, lower the front down a little bit more (maybe an inch at most), keep the all wheel drive (I really like that), keep the all aluminum motor (love that), lose the whole electronic differential control thing...

Make the rear seats fold down, add window tint, and make the sun roof optional, and introduce a 6 speed automatic or add an overdrive module to the 5 speed...

After that I'd be happy...

How about just offering the ROW/JDM version for 2012?

Seriously though, blacked out headlights, nicer body/less obtrusive arches, better stereo, more power, etc. etc.

It really is that simple.

Why the need to take a perfectly good, well featured car, and mess with a winning formula to "appeal to Americans" just doesn't make sense.

Ok... you wanna start this...

Scrap the body above the floorpan, but keep some of the drivetrain, and perhaps the suspension. We're starting over, somewhat.

We will be re-directing this car as an ALTERNATIVE to the mainstream sedan, not a copy of one. As we see, there are several companies that are bringing 5-door sedan-ish cars to market, but they are bigger than their 4-door alternatives, such as the 5-series Grantourismo BMW, the Acura/Honda 5-door concept, and Audi's sportback concept.

I like these cars, but why does sleeker need to be bigger? Why not make it moderately sized. Hyundai's upcoming Sonata is looking to be something about right, aside from being FWD...

So... we are going to go with a sleek, yet practical 5-door, 5-seat Grand Touring Sport sedan, with AWD.

Sleek lines, and a low cowl and front end. sleek and just a bit agressive. An updated BL look, not the face-lift-gone-wrong new front end. Gracefully, slightly flared fenders, but nothing gaudy. Sleek, subtle purposefulness is the key. IF there are cars to reference, something like Aston Martin Rapide, or Tesla Model S...

If window frames must be used... they should be FLUSH FIT, and glassed-over, like SVX. I'd love to see window-in-a-window come back, but I won't insist on it. But window frames should at least have aero-efficiency built in, if they are going to be included. Otherwise if they are just going to be chunky, boring window frames, give me my frameless glass back, and put the structure fortification into the roof and pillars instead.

LED turn signals, side markers, tail lights and all other exterior and interior lighting. HID and/or incandescent for forward lighting only. I would go with something unique for the tail lights... flush fitted to the body character lines, perhaps strongly horizontal like a combination of SVX, Tribeca, Infiniti's Essence concept's tail lights, or something otherwise interesting and unique. LEDs should be plenty flexible for such applications.

Interior:

Combine the best bits of the BL Legacy interior with a bit of the sweeping lines, and the 3-round LCD HVAC dials of the tribeca interior. Combine the audio system into the NAV screen, high in the dash, near line of sight, but not kiosk-style jutting out convex face and vertical console. Make it standard double-DIN for replacement, or if it can't be replaced and must be integrated, then make it as versatile, and capable of receiving external inputs as possible.

Keep the previous electro-luminescent gauges, and add a Heads-up display in the windshield. Keep the Tribeca/JDM Legacy 08-09 three-spoke steering wheel, with controls, the new steering wheel looks awkward. Possibly bring over the piano-black console treatment that JDM 08-09 Legacys received. Add automatic, self-leveling and steering HID low beams, and HIR factory high beams on an option package. (not mandatory, for those who don't like HIDs...)

Trim line offerings:

Base model lineup, or Sport package options... Tech and cold-weather packages available, Limited packages add leather and sunroof as before.

2.5i, 3.6R, and 2.5 GT turbo has mandatory sport package, sport package can also be applied to 3.6R models.

Sport package includes:

Bilstein suspension, and either Subaru monobloc brakes, or Brembos.

SI-drive, where Sport and Sport# add performance tuning over the base "I" map.

STI/Spec B 6MT with front and rear torsen diffs, or 5EAT-Sport Shift gearboxes as no-cost-difference options... both with VTD/VDC.

The Sport package would also include a slightly lower ride-height (rather than Spec B's higher stance), blacked-out headlights and monochrome or black trim, +1 sport wheels and performance tires, and more aggressive front and rear bumper covers, and SPT exhaust from the factory. A proper SPORT package that looks the part, also. an OPTION on the list, not 500 limited edition with no color choice. Not mandatory NAV, nor mandatory gearbox choice. People who want it, can choose to order it.

The non-sport package drivetrains:

5MT base gearbox on economy 2.5i model, CVT optional, 5EAT a additional-cost option. CVT or 5EAT base gearbox on non-sport 3.6 models. No SI-drive, as non-sport models solely use "I" map. Maybe leaning toward the sport setting, if the learning ECU detects that the driver tends toward the aggressive... but most such drivers probably should take the sport package.

Option list:

Bring back most of the de-contented options. Signal mirrors with electric folding on all models above 2.5i base.

Tech-package:

Standard rear-view camera for LCD/NAV-equipped cars above base model. Keyless proximity unlocking and push-button start, and at least 2-memory settings for seat and mirror positions. Self-leveling and steering HIDs, radar/laser cruise control, magneto-fluid dampers, and other such toys, and even a 2-section panoramic glass roof could become an optional "Tech package".

Cold-Weather-Package

3-stage heat, or single stage cooling seats. Flat 'comfort' seats for non-sport, bolstered seats for Sport Package. Full set of mirror heaters, front and rear wiper defrosters, washer-fluid heaters, block and battery heaters, and headlight washers, rear window wipe and wash, and remote start for automatic-equipped cars. Most cars would probably come with that, but perhaps not foisting it on people south of the snow-belt, if they don't want it.

--------

With all of that... offer it in a 3-door coupe bodystyle, even if it is built on the basic underpinnings of the GR Impreza, being somewhat more lithe in size than the '10 Legacy's floorpan dimensions, but it would largely be a similarly sleek car, and perhaps base models being closer to impreza's base model configuration, as the Subaru half of the Toyota/Subaru joint coupe, optioned-up to turbocharged GT/WRX spec, or 3.6R Touring Coupe... with the features I list above. Basically a coupe form of the car, with slightly more compact dimensions, closer to the GR Impreza, and BL Legacy. The sedan above would retain most of the length and width increases of the '10 Legacy, for practicality, but be much sleeker, and not as needlessly tall or visually bulky.

Nothing wrong with offering a sleek coupe alternative to the Impreza lineup, between that and the larger sedan's length and width, but still offering similar features, and three-engine lineup, plus optional Sport-package, Tech-package, and cold weather packages, limited or non-limited trim.

I agree, it should have a slightly lower ride height in a sport package. bring back de-contented options such as lighted turn signal mirrors and fog lights...

drop the whole 500 limited edition aspect of the spec B.

give the electric seats a memory function, and add a rear windsheild wiper like on the JDM legacy.

I would keep the window frames, and make them aerodynamic, they make the car harder to steal that way. It is much easier to break into a car without window frames like a convertable, than it is to break into one with window frames (I would know, I have had many a freind lock their keys in their convertable only to have me break into it for them).

Some pretty outrageous ideas above. I was trying to keep it more on the front of making the 2010 model better. Things like sheet metal and bumper revisions. I'm not even going to touch the interior...I don't have a way really, to design/sketch that. I mean the ideas are good, and I am not going to stop the whole thought process.

Anyhow, below is a first attempt at some revisions:

http://www.onlinejason.net/auto/photoshop/Subaru_legacyGT_alterations_stage1.jpg

the above reworked the front sheet metal to pull the arch smoothly into the front fender. I increased the size of the faux brake duct inlets and added a center bulge the hood. I increased the size of the wheels and showed them with a little bit wider tire as well, to fill the wells better. I think they're 18" as standard on the GT, so assume 19" or 20" here. Also, I changed the side sills to be a little beefier. I also added the signals on the mirrors (I never knew this was so important to people). Oh, and I quickly tinted the headlights, but they don't look all that great attm. I'll have to try a different technique to show those better.

Add: Deleted the 'wings' in the front grill....although looks a little Ford(ish)

Edit: Fixed headlights

I kinda liked this one, when it was floated around more than a year ago, both here, and on NASIOC.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3198/legacypreview2nx1.jpg

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461950&page=11

It isn't perfect, but it is a hell of a lot closer to something I would want, than what actually happened.

But then again, I kinda like this one, too... which means that the Subaru/Toyota coupe will look nowhere near this good, either...

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Subaru-RWD-Impreza-Coupe.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/378249/rwd-subaru-toyota-sports-cars-officially-confirmed-for-2010-2011

It looks fine as is. Why eff with it? When the 2005 BL/BP came stateside, everyone compared it to its contemporary 2002- Camry. Guess you guys missed that AWESOME rhetoric. I stood up for that Legacy design as I am this one.

Have some patience, fortitude, and foresight fellow "Legacy" enthusiasts. Give this one at least a year before undermining its character...

I actually like the 2005-2009 model compared to the one before it. I thought that it showed some heritage yet was still a radical upgrade of the previous design. Unlike the new one which shows that the basic concept is still alive, but is not only an upgrade but an entirely different direction for the car.

I kinda liked this one, when it was floated around more than a year ago, both here, and on NASIOC.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3198/legacypreview2nx1.jpg

Same here.

If you want to photoshop the 2010, I'd be curious to see what it looks like with lower profile headlights that aren't smeared back into the fenders, without the wheel well arches, and with the window frames outlined in black instead of chrome.

it's not getting fixed! they must have taken a toyota injection in the ass. the bland styling is starting to flood subarus brain. i'm looking forward to seeing what replaces the impreza as the small car in the lineup. note the vehicles getting bigger each passing model. it's only a matter of time. the tribeca will eventually become sequoia sized, the forester will become tribeca sized, then maybe we will get the Exiga to replace the forester? sweet!

Same here.

If you want to photoshop the 2010, I'd be curious to see what it looks like with lower profile headlights that aren't smeared back into the fenders, without the wheel well arches, and with the window frames outlined in black instead of chrome.

That is one of my personal issues with the new design...headlights way too big. It's like with the Ford Contour when they changed the headlights, or the Saturn L series....the headlights ruined an otherwise OK design.

I certainly will be doing a version that reduces the headlight design a bit...with new hood, Grill and bumper. I'm trying to find all the pieces I need and sketch it first....you can see some of the rough sketches in the white portion of the Touring sedan concept sketch shown earlier.

All models tend to get "facelifts" mid production style. It is the same with past Legacy's too. In addition to mechanical tweeks, the body and trim tend to get worked around a little. Typically it's parts that are not part of the main body frame; bumpers, head and tail lights, front fenders, hood, truck lid. Doors, rear fenders, roof, glass, are all too expensive to revise for a 'mid production' update. Sometimes this is a chance to fix some styling that is not commonly accepted. I'm sure the new Subaru will sell because it is more mainstream, but the mid production cycle revision might be a chance for the hardcore and loyal Scubie fans to have some input.

Here is the latest revisions. The front bumper has been further revised, squeezing the center intake and stretching the faux brake ducts. Then I revised (shrunk) the headlights.

http://www.onlinejason.net/auto/photoshop/Subaru_legacyGT_alterations_stage2.jpg

and a reminder of what we started with:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/family_four_doors/2010_subaru_legacy_first_drive_review/2010_subaru_legacy/2010_subaru_legacy_2_5gt_14/2221178-1-eng-US/2010_subaru_legacy_2_5gt_14_gallery_image_large.jpg

Edit: I further simplified the lower chin on the front bumper. Reduced the thickness of the chrome around the grill, and make the taillight have all red on the wrap around portion.

Puhhlease, no one did anything of the sort on here or anywhere else. That is complete BS... it generated a ton of excitement and changed how people viewed the line..

Go to design school. Dozens of designers spent years designing this new Legacy. The new language of their design rests with the concept car, but the styling cues, dimensions, and functional elements remain. Aesthetics, such as darkened headlights, different wheels, less wheel gap, more aggressive underspoilers, or varied paint schemes are easy to do and will be done...in due time.

Redesigning an entire model because the roof is too high, the wheel arches are too prounced, the car is too big, etc. does undermine the character of this new model that hasn't even been seen driving around in multitudes. Give it time. The bugeye Impreza was unfavorably compared with the Neon when its design was first released, and now it's overwhelmingly loved by the Impreza guys. Subaru changed the headlight design in two years and nobody seemed to care. The less offensive blobeye is also the least loved between the hawkeye and bugeye.

I think it's just too soon to think redesign until the aftermarket, the tuners, you, me, have been able to play around with all that is going for it...I'm not here to troll, just trying to provide insight. I actually like this car in real life, whereas pictures don't do it justice. I know it will look really good with simple mods, and will picture great going around racetracks. :)

^ Yeah...there is nothing I've done that the aftermarket folks couldn't also fix. But that is the case with any model.

I you don't think the Subaru isn't already looking at revisions, then that's just silly. Automakers are constantly looking and revising their designs. They may not be cost effective or realistic, but it certainly is worth doing. We are stuck with this model and platform (and most likely the wheel arches) for four or five years at the least. Any radical design changes would only be for a model that far out...which I'm sure the design studio is already sketching up themselves...for over a year now.

Here is the latest revisions. The front bumper has been further revised, squeezing the center intake and stretching the faux brake ducts. Then I revised (shrunk) the headlights.

http://www.onlinejason.net/auto/photoshop/Subaru_legacyGT_alterations_stage2.jpg

Edit: I further simplified the lower chin on the front bumper.

Not a fan of the hood bulge. Is it possible to lower the beltline and roofline?

Maybe put a bit more rake in the windshield and more GR STI like fenders then simple arches. Fenders that appear to be purposeful and motorsport inspired then CUV fenders.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/05_20th_ann_impreza_wrx_sti_450op.jpg

Now it looks too Acura TL-ish. Which may not be a bad thing.

But you guys are proposing these looks to the wrong people. Subaru is incapable of offering us a car that we like - so better think elsewhere: market all these design ideas to all those aftermarket companies making front fascia and bumpers etc so THEY (the buyers of the 10+ cars) can sort the "looks" out. I am keeping my 05...

Archived