LegacyGT.com

My woes continue..Legacy won't go into 1st, 3rd, 5th

rad rex

I was having a problem getting into third last week but I chalked it up to a "typical" Subaru tranny. I was wrong. I had to have the roadside service flatbed the car out to the nearest dealership because I wasn't able to get into 1st, third or fifth gear. This is the second tranny I've had problems with. The last was from my '03 WRX

Yes I don't know how to shift:rolleyes:

I shall update after i get the car back...hopefully fixed

Well, that's encouraging, I had asked several people before (even a subaru tech at the maine forest rally) and I generally got a head scratch. I will mention that to the dealership. Thanks fellas.

either of you know if that was definetly the problem?

What happens is that the selector fork or forks get bent and once that heppens you cannot get the tranny into gear. It happened to Hodgee and to someone else, but I can't recall who.

I'd bet that it doesn't make any noise, which would not be the case if there ws a problem with the gears, shafts or bearings.

Definately the fork. Take a look at this thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15693&page=4&pp=10&highlight=transmission

#27 + 28

There is a lot of extra stuff in there, but you can see a pic of the transmission and a link to the howstuff works drawing that shows how the selector works.

Lean on it hard enough the other way and you will lose 2 and 4 also :)

It is a totally different problem that than experienced with the WRX gearbox, where the case is not quite strong enough in the middle so the input and output shafts can separate enough to cause the gear teeth to snap.

Well, that's encouraging, I had asked several people before (even a subaru tech at the maine forest rally) and I generally got a head scratch. I will mention that to the dealership. Thanks fellas.

either of you know if that was definetly the problem?

No way I can tell for sure without seeing how it acts first-hand, but I would definitely start there.

In my WRX the problem was a grind going between third and fourth. With the Legacy I cannot get the car into first, third or fifth gears. I looked at the other threads and the shifter fork sounds like a feasible problem. Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep ya all posted

I just got my 5sp LGT back from the dealer. It was popping out of reverse and it got worse as time went on. I have just over 13,000mi. This is what the invoice said: "car was popping out of reverse due to internal failure. Upon teardown, found reverse drive gear on pinion drive shaft damaged from slipping out as well as reverse idler. Found reverse shift lever to be of improper size causing clearance between idler and case to be incorrect (4mm). Replaced size 9 with standard 8. Also found detent socket in reverse/ 5 shift fork rail worn down. Replaced rail and detent. Replaced reverse idler gear, overhauled pinion drive shaft and replaced reverse drive gear." Some of this is greek to me but it does work now. The ecu was also replaced for the cooling fan being stuck on. I knew I should have went with the Acura.;) If I wanted these kind of problems with a vehicle, I would have purchased a Chevy.:D

Yeah Hutch, I'm sure I'll get the same kind of explanation when they finally crack open my tranny. The dealership it was towed to hadn't touched it after it had been there a week, so I'm having AAA tow it down to the dealer I purchased it from. Won't get worked on until this wednesday now. Been without it for over a week now.

Well guys I too have had some tranny trouble. At 13,000 miles my LGT 5MT was in the shop in June for 22 days straight. It wwas very difficult to get into 1st gear and 4th gear syncro was shot. They replaced my shift forks, all my syncros, my trans case, my drive shaft and a few other parts. This comes after a front diff rebuild at 4500 miles which took 9 days. They replaced my spider gears, bearings, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, & through out bearing, that took 9 days. I am now in the final stages of pursuing the NJ Lemon Law. SOA is supposed to by my car back this month. By the way my LGT is bone stock.

Well guys I too have had some tranny trouble. At 13,000 miles my LGT 5MT was in the shop in June for 22 days straight. It wwas very difficult to get into 1st gear and 4th gear syncro was shot. They replaced my shift forks, all my syncros, my trans case, my drive shaft and a few other parts. This comes after a front diff rebuild at 4500 miles which took 9 days. They replaced my spider gears, bearings, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, & through out bearing, that took 9 days. I am now in the final stages of pursuing the NJ Lemon Law. SOA is supposed to by my car back this month. By the way my LGT is bone stock.

That is definately a bad tranny :(

Well fellas, I hope your problems get resolved. If mine starts to spend more time being repaired than being driven I'm afraid I'll have to trade it in for a more reliable car. I'm not too concerned about this now but the closer I get to the warranty running out the more I will contemplate trading it in. I must admit, this car is a blast to drive, however, at $28000 these things should not be happening. I must also convince myself that all vehicles have problems, regardless of price. This type of website and the amount of information,both good and bad, are crucial for obvious reasons. I hope that my tranny and engine hold up. I love this car and can't think of another car in this price range that offers what the LGT does.

ya you do have to remember all cars have problems, and the people here usually come to get help and tell about there problems.. so you wont here to many good stories here.. (where I am sure there are more good then bad)

You are definately right Chris, and even though this board doesn't have every Legacy owner on it, the fact that it seems that only several members (Myself, hutch and Anthony) are the only ones with tranny woes. I was afraid that I might have some kind of problem with my tranny given what happened to my Rex, but I was willing to take the chance. That being said.............

THIS STILL FRIGGIN SUCKS!!!!!!!

Anthony, keep us posted on your situation, so far sounds like the worst in terms of tranny problems.

Will do, and like I always say if your going to do something, may as well be the best (worst in this case) at it :lol: .

You are definately right Chris, and even though this board doesn't have every Legacy owner on it, the fact that it seems that only several members (Myself, hutch and Anthony) are the only ones with tranny woes. I was afraid that I might have some kind of problem with my tranny given what happened to my Rex, but I was willing to take the chance. That being said.............

THIS STILL FRIGGIN SUCKS!!!!!!!

Anthony, keep us posted on your situation, so far sounds like the worst in terms of tranny problems.

*UPDATE*

Looks like a bracket that connects the shifter linkage to the tranny had come loose. All fixed, no tranny problems. Dodged that bullet.

Great news!! Did they offer any explanation on how and why it happened?? Sounds like sloppy assembly/quality control to me :mad:

Ok folks, my car is gonzo! They made me sign a non disclosure release from SOA but rest assured "I sold it back to SOA". It was fun while it lasted. Ciao.

UPDATE:

Aug 18th is the date set to buy back my car, more details to follow.

Archived