LegacyGT.com

SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Pack and LWFW Review

qikslvr

Another update from me. I installed the Spec 2+ clutch and had to use the return spring again.

I apparently misplaced the bracket I made in post #45, so all I did this time was put a worm gear hose clamp around the clutch master cylinder line and attached the spring to that. Works great. :)

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I have over 3500 miles on my Spec 2, still love it more then the Spec 2+.

I'd go as far to say there is very little if any difference in pedal pressure between this Spec 2 clutch and the oem clutch in my 09 Spec B.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

I'm relieved that others are hearing these noises too.. i just installed an ACT hdss clutch kit, streetlite fw, plus bushings and mounts. I was really starting to think i did something wrong on install; sounds like I'm seeing a pretty common issue though.

I'm 200 miles into break I'm, and i haven't come close to dumping the clutch. On decel, my tranny sounds like marbles in a blender. It feels fine, but the sounds are horrific. Traffic sucks with the lwfw, and the chatter is definitely worse with cars in front of me. I swapped the clutch etc. after losing my Throwout bearing to downtown Chicago traffic.

Should i have this inspected by a subie tech, or should i learn to coexist with the marbles?

Ps.. No power mods except a mild stage1 open-source tune, but downpipe and possibly a cat-back are in the future.

I'm relieved that others are hearing these noises too.. i just installed an ACT hdss clutch kit, streetlite fw, plus bushings and mounts. I was really starting to think i did something wrong on install; sounds like I'm seeing a pretty common issue though.

On decel, my tranny sounds like marbles in a blender. It feels fine, but the sounds are horrific.

QUOTE]

That is the main reason I have learned to coast when that happens. Just push in the clutch, put it in neutral and let the clutch out.

For the chatter. Put the tranny in neutral, side step the clutch pedal. Let it bang to the top.

Then drive off, that used to stop my Spec 2+ from doing that.

My Spec 2 with the LWFW is great so far, I have 6000 miles on it. Feels like OEM but grabs much better.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Has anyone run the Spec Stage 2 clutch with a stock flywheel? My Spec B needs a clutch and I really don't need a LWFW. I was going to upgrade to an OEM STi FW and then pick a clutch.

Anyone see any problems with that?

I don't see why you'd need to upgrade to the STi FW ?

The stock SMFW should work fine with any clutch.

PM Mike at AZPinstalls.com and see what he can get you for a price, you can tell him I sent you.

I don't think the FW could be that much larger and still fit in the bell housing.

It's the clutch disc and PP that have to hold the power from the way I see it.

We used a lighten oem FW in our 1.6L honda when the car was at 425whp.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I have been going back and forth with IAG all day and it looks like I can run an STi sized clutch with my stock flywheel. And you are right, the clutch disk and the pressure plate is the larger part.

Hopefully we can get it hashed out soon. Lol

Yeah, I understand that part of it now.

What I am now wondering is if I can just have my OEM flywheel turned and install the STi clutch pack using the OEM flywheel. According to a couple of vendors on here as well as IAG, I can do that without a problem. I really don't need a LWFW, it's not a track car.

I have never spoken with anyone there, but that is where my Spec 2+ came from when I needed it back on Jun07.

Come to think of it now. I bought that counting on using the FW in the car. That was before I knew it was a DMFW.

It was the Spec LWFW that got over nighted to the dealer. I have the pre-production one that they had finished testing and was on the guy's desk, that my son knew. My son called him and told him the story. He cleaned it up, boxed it up, it was at the dealer the next morning, I had the car back that afternoon.

That's the main reason I like Spec.

Yeah, I am in contact with a couple of vendors now and we are trying to get to the bottom of the clutch mystery as far as the Spec B's go. Lol

Here's off Spec's site. look down the bottom for Spec B

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Subaru/Legacy/2008/Single

I think you can find the Spec 2 for about $640 I think that's about what I paid Mike at AZP.

http://www.iagperformance.com/shopping_cart/products.php?cat=682

At the bottom of the page is ACT clutches for a Spec B. Spec B's have a SMFW. Those should bolt up to it.

Look like a great shop.

Have your FW re-surfaced. and then just bolt a ACT SB6-HDMM to it. DOn't get involved with the STi clutch and all this hassel.

Load a STi into the search and see what ACT clutch's pop up. that should tell you if they are the same.

Edited by Max Capacity

Yeah, that's what I was hoping to do. But there seems to be some conflicting information on if the Spec B's have a SMFW or a DMFW. I have seen it reported both ways.

I guess we will know as soon as I have the car torn apart as too which one mine has. Lol