LegacyGT.com

'05 2.5l vibration at 40-50 mph when making slight turn

Just picked up an 05 legacy today. It has a rebuild title and was repaired by a Subaru shop. Didn't notice this during test drive but there is a vibration in the whole front end when I'm going about 50 mph and then turn the wheel to either side about 3 inches.

What sort of things might be. Causing this. I had it looked over by a different shop before buying. Everything appeared to be straight with the suspension.

Could it be the wheel bearings if I only have issues when i slightly turning?

yeah it doesn't come or go with the brakes, only there when i turn. I think it may be a tire problem. Getting it aligned soon, so i'll have them check that out. the tires look pretty good though.

I wonder if there is a flat spot that would be causing the noise?

I just posted a thread about this too, oops. I have a vibration and wom wom wom noise that started happening about 5000 miles ago. Tires have 6000 miles on them, Continental Extreme Contact DWS - rotation doesn't change a thing.

First was most obvious when going interstate speeds around bends to the right, nowadays it occurs pretty regularly even when going straight - it just vibrates for several seconds at a time then, no wom wom wom. I just replaced my axle today, sure of it being the culprit, smelled burning grease every day for quite some time. No better. LMK what you end up doing!

^it did nothing. It was not the culprit, the wheel bearing is. I paid $220, FHQ axle I think. I googled a bit, seemed better than a duralast autozone axle and shop said they liked them. For reference, stealership wanted $200 to replace just the boot... which pbb would have done no good and landed me back there for an axle soon anyway with how far I pushed it.

I was in a rush to get it before I started commuting 150 miles a day again (started up again today). Bummer, the vibration is rapidly worsening. At least I smell (less) grease burning from old axle, hope its burnt off asap!

Archived