LegacyGT.com

My battery terminal clip won't stay in place

About 15-20 times since I've owned the car (about 14 months) my car won't turn over. I put the key in, turn, and my dash goes dark, door light, everything goes dark. I had the engine/turbo replaced last spring and told the shop about my intermittent issue. They said they couldn't replicate the problem.

The other day I was eating at my sisters and as I went to leave the car wouldn't turn over once again. After I checked fluids/punched the car I went to turn the key again and noticed a spark on my positive battery terminal. I got out and shimmied the cable running to the positive terminal and sure enough it slid right off. The worst part is I can't tighten the bolt anymore.

Does anyone have any advice on an alternative terminal clip or a helpful hint? It seems to be completely random and with the colder temps in PA the last thing I feel like doing when warming up my car is popping the hood and fidgeting with the terminal.

Same thing was happening to me, the battery cable was loose on the terminal.

Went to auto-parts store and bought some shims that fit over the battery post, then fit the cable clamp over the shim. I think they were under $5.

No problems since.

Archived